Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Joining the DD party - any wisdom to share?

I've just received (very quick) delivery of my DD travel Hammock with whoopie sling suspension kit and XL tarp.

I'm planning to use it while touring UK and Europe on my motorbike next summer; so I have plenty time to get used to it/modify it etc.

I'm off to plunder this forum for information about getting the right hang, installing an internal ridge line, tarp setup for bivvy mode etc, modifications, etc etc

Any suggestions on these topics, general hints and tips from other DD users or even recommendations of beautiful places/good biking roads to visit in Europe would be much appreciated here as well

I might add that I'm a complete newbie.

Not just to hammock camping but to any form of camping! So, anything you know is likely to be useful =D)

Dan

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    I would start by ensuring you have a good sleeping bag and some form of ground/underhammock insultation as laying in a hammock compressed the bottom of the sleeping bag giving you CBS....cold butt syndrome

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    You can use a pad with the hammock as well. I've only been in mine once since I got it. But as soon as I can escape for a weekend i plan to sleep for 36 hours straight in it!!!!
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    The only modifications I made to my Frontline were to add a couple of eyelets on each side to use as tie-outs to help spread the hammock - seemed like a good idea but I have never used them. I like the 'hug'.
    The other mod I made was to add some more short strips of velcro to secure the opening between the bottom layers a little better. On the newer model that may not be needed.
    For bottom insulation I have used a windshield reflector or a rectangular sleeping bag placed between the layers. Both worked well. It seems that the sleeping bag did not compress as much as if I were laying directly on it. I have tried a DIY underquilt but have not have much success getting a good fit yet.
    I run my tarp ridgeling under the tarp and then attach the bugnet to the ridgeline with lightweight shock cord with a tautline hitch. That way I don't have to run the bugnet lines all the way to the support trees.

That's all really good advice, thanks!

I'm using your idea for suspending the bugnet - it's far simpler than tying out to the trees =D)

I've turned an old sleeping bag into a DIY underquilt, the fit is not excellent and, along with a sleeping pad in between the bottom layers, it mostly eliminates CBS.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    There is also a thread on here somewhere about 'mini spreader bars', probably in the DIY forum, for this type of hammock that hold the end channels a few inches apart to possibly make a more comfortable lay. Haven't tried this yet but plan to someday - just out of curiosity.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Congrats on your purchases.

What way are you planning to use your tarp? The 4.5m x 3m will mean you have to have trees very fary apart or pitch it very high.

I have seen the bug net tied to the tarp tie outs.

You may want to get some non stretch line to string up your tarp, I have used cheap webtex paracord and the stock guy lines with my 4x4 dd tarp and experienced quite a bit of stretch and I had to tighten everything a couple of times.

My tarp is huge and wouldn't stuff into the sack it came in (well, it did but was extremely difficult) and I had to fold it, you will probably hqve to do the same.

Not really sure how you could add a structural ridgeline to a dd? You may have to poke a hole in the bug net if you really want one?

The fact that you are new to camping means you probably made a wise decision on you gear choice... you'll probably be quite rough on your gear and dd stuff is pretty much bombproof in my limited experience. The only downside is weight and bulk.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    DD frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    PLUQ & PLOQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Make or buy a set of snakeskins for the tarp.

My dd front line came with one, and i love it so much I made myself one for the tarp.

Hammock
    HH Explorer asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Plus one on the snakeskins, they make deploying the tarp so much easier in the wind, mine are silnylon but if I was to replace them I would seriously look at the skins made from bug netting as they allow some of your tarp to dry.

I use a karrimat in my hammock they work ok but can be a pain if you move around a lot ( I may add some velcro to keep it in place) with a sleeping bag opened up and over me like a quilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast