Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    cuben fiber corp also makes cuben fabric in heavier strips (tape) something like this would be an option too, i don't know if you would want cuben against bark though, maybe some of the fabric on the outside and cuben tape as a core?

Images
    sailmaking tape would be good for "laminating" layers together. the c3 tape seems really good, i've used it to make permanent stick on patches.

Images
    if that fabric has spectra fibers running at a diagonal, would you not have to cut your strips following the spectra fiber? if you cut them any other way, the reinforcement fibers wouldn't actually take the load.

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    SlowBro, sure hope your Dyneema X Grid tree huggers work. Huge weight savings for minimal cost! Would cutting this material with a hot blade be an option? If the Dyneema stretches too much do you plan to use Cuben tape or sew?
    koaloha05, If I go to Cuben I plan to sew, I really don't trust the tape, especially for significantly stressed joins. I've sewn Cuben without any problem making a pack cover, bivy and some stuff sacks. Never have used the tape. Anyway, I plan to test the Dyneema strap tomorrow if the weather cooperates and will post my results.

SlowBro

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    warbonnetguy, The white spectra threads run the length of the strip and at right angles, but not diagonally so I am counting on the longitudinal ones to do the heavy lifting. The Dyneema X Gridstop fabric does have what appears to be a set of thicker nylon threads running diagonally that make up the "X" in the name. I am not expecting them to do anything.

That is a great idea to use the Cuben tape for laminating. I will consider that if I go to Cuben, but I'm not sure I would be comfortable with joining overlapping strips end to end. The Cuben should be fine on the bark unless it is too slick. It has good abrasion resistance, but is easily punctured which, although is important for waterproofing, is not important with a strap as I see it.

-SlowBro

Images
    the cuben strips should come in long lengths, that way you wouldn't need to sew pieces together to get 10 ft. you could then sew or tape the full length layers together.

you're probably right, the mylar might get nessed up, but that's not really the structural component.

good luck whichever way you do it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    koaloha05, If I go to Cuben I plan to sew, I really don't trust the tape, especially for significantly stressed joins. I've sewn Cuben without any problem making a pack cover, bivy and some stuff sacks. Never have used the tape. Anyway, I plan to test the Dyneema strap tomorrow if the weather cooperates and will post my results.

SlowBro

when you sew cuben, and there is stress on that seam, it is transfered from mylar to mylar, not from spectra fiber to spectra fiber, those seams are fine because there isn't much load being transfered across the seam, if there were, the stitches would likely rip right out of the mylar, which could happen with the webbing unless you use full length pieces.

i don't think the reinforcement fibers will take the load, the stitching will be the weak point. the spectra fibers aren't connected through the seam, so they won't take/transfer the load, it will go to whatever the stitches actually pierce. in this case regular nylon fabric, which may indeed be strong enough, but will be stretchy unlike it would be if it had full length stretch resistent fibers holding the weight. it would be like getting a full length piece of this stuff and going through every 60" with a pair of sicissors and snipping all the reinforcement fibers.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Hang low over a crash pad until you are well convinced it will be safe.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    when you sew cuben, and there is stress on that seam, it is transfered from mylar to mylar, not from spectra fiber to spectra fiber, those seams are fine because there isn't much load being transfered across the seam, if there were, the stitches would likely rip right out of the mylar, which could happen with the webbing unless you use full length pieces.

i don't think the reinforcement fibers will take the load, the stitching will be the weak point. the spectra fibers aren't connected through the seam, so they won't take/transfer the load, it will go to whatever the stitches actually pierce. in this case regular nylon fabric, which may indeed be strong enough, but will be stretchy unlike it would be if it had full length stretch resistent fibers holding the weight. it would be like getting a full length piece of this stuff and going through every 60" with a pair of sicissors and snipping all the reinforcement fibers.
    Good point! I hadn't really thought of it that way. Of course I would prefer long pieces of Cuben, but that gets very expensive very quickly. Well I am not buying Cuben yet, until I get the Dyneema tested.

Thanks,
    SlowBro

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Hang low over a crash pad until you are well convinced it will be safe.
    Low- Yes!
    Crashpad- Yes!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast