Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight / eno single
    Tarp
    HH Hex / OMW
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 / JRB sniv
    Images

purchase under quilt in Canada for HH Explorer?

I am looking for an under quilt for a HH Explorer but do not want to go through the hassle of ordering through the USA and paying high duty cost etc...

Unless someone knows of where to order an undrquilt from the USA and knows the approximate landed cost?

Does anyone know of where I can order something in Ontario or anywhere in Canada?

thanks for the help..
    Last edited by I hear banjos; 10-06-2012 at 13:46.

Hammock
    HH Deep jungle Safari
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeplin
    Suspension
    Stock (for now)
    I ordered a quilt from Paul at Underground Quilt this spring. Shipped to British Columbia. I paid no duty only exchange on the dollar. If you are careful with the exchange rate you might even end up saving some money. Paul shipped promptly and the quilt was of the best quality. The shipping was not that bad because there is not much weight involved. I would not hesitate to order from UGQ or any other quilt maker again and have it shipped to Canada.Good luck with the search. Kevin

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    The only possible place to order an UQ in Canada is from HH themselves and only if there shipping out of the Gulf Islands BC. You could give them a call about that. Other than that all the UQ's in North America are coming out of the USA. I've ordered lots of stuff from the Cottage industry folks in the US and can only remember one time i had to pay duty,,,generally not. Make sure, if you can , stuff is sent USPS. HH makes a super system specifically for their hammocks.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    I ship to Canada. $15 for shipping INTL, there are ways to avoid customs' fees.

plus, my quilts have my original guyout for HH or other asym hammocks. works great on the explorer, expedition etc..

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    As mentioned, use USPS. Other companies charge brokerage fees on top of everything. I've not usually paid duties but when I have, its not really different than buying something at MEC and paying HST. The only option is to order from one of the cottage vendors or DIY if you can sew. Ordering from the States is what I have to do to get the gear I want so it doesn't bother me. Thankfully our dollar is closer to the US dollar these days than it has been in the past.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, jarbidge
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    what they all said
    my personal experience has been good. I've only been dinged once so far on customs,(knock on wood) mind you it was on my TQ, so the charge was almost 30$, but unless you can sew, or can make a trip south of the border, you have to take the chance. now having said that, I think my BB came UPS, and it cost a little more to deliver, but was also no charge at pickup... so in my experience, if you are ordering a bigger ticket item , be prepared to have to pay.the lady at the local post office told me it is random at the border, just like a vehicle check if you cross over, so odds are in your favour of not getting the duty added. but I never make guarantees either way, all the gear I have ordered was top shelf stuff, and should last me a long time, so I dont mind the risk. good luck
    life time believer in the afternoon nap

" the Dude abides "

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As all the others have pointed out, order from the USA from one of the cottage vendors and have it shipped via the postal service. The worst I've been dinged is just your local sales taxes. As Bubba, pointed out, it is really no different than ordering something from Canada in the first place.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight / eno single
    Tarp
    HH Hex / OMW
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 / JRB sniv
    Images

Thanks for all of the great advice

Looks like I will be ordering from Hammock gear... thinking about the incubator 0*F and the Burrow 0*F top quilt...

looks like it packs up nice and small as well seems functional.. This transition to hanging is fast becoming an expensive venture... can't wait to get out for a few days...

just returned from an Algonquin 5 day trip and have had it with a tent and trying to find a decent spot to set up without ground issues..

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    There are other vendors that make great quilts so look around. I personally have Underground Quilt's winter quilts and Warbonnet 3 season quilts. Take a look at Te-wa's as well.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    Arrowhead Equipment makes a quilt for the Hennessy hammock. He's in Idaho. I always order stuff from the states and go to the border (which is only a 30 minute drive) to pick it up, there's a postal outlet about 2 minutes south of the international border. Because the stuff I order is usually not more than $100, I never have to pay duty, and it's too much hassle for them to haul me in to pay the HST. The one time that I did make the mistake of having it sent to me in Canada, I had to cough up about $50 on delivery. Not happy. So, depending on where you are in Ontario, you may be able to have it shipped to a postal outlet near the border and pick it up.
    Debi

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast