3/4 length UQ for short person

I'm interested in getting an UQ for my HH hyperlite as the weather turns colder. I am a really short person, 4'9", and had the thought that maybe a 3/4 length UQ would be almost long enough to be considered full length for me. Any other short hangers out there have any thoughts on this?

After all, if the listed length of the UQ is only a couple inches shorter than I am tall and I sleep on the diagonal, theoretically/mathematically speaking the diagonal is longer than I am tall, but does this actually work out when you are in the hammock?

Hammock
    ENO DN/DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    My wife has a 3/4 UQ and she is pretty short. It does function as very close to a full length quilt for her.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I would say yes to this assuming you lay diagonally. I am 5'10 and my AHE Jarbidge is almost a long enough for me. I am a partial side sleeper and I usually have my knees bent a bit, but I can get away with a small pillow and very small foot pad.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I've seen shorter people do this with success. You'll probably need a footpad and pillow as mentioned above if laying full length.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    My wife is 4' 10" and she uses a 3/4 UQ and it practically serves as a full length UQ. She sleeps in the fetal position so she does not need a pad under her feet but laying on a diagonal and straight across the UQ goes from her shoulders to her heel. I give her a pillow to lay on and she is toasty warm.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Chinook Tech. 9x12
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY Slap-Straps
    If anyone's interrsted in a jarbridge UQ let me know- its 58" and a little short for my liking

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    It depends. If you don't mind having you head or foot outside of the quilt area. I'd say get a quilt that is 57" and you will be fully covered. Hammock Gear will custom make one for you. I order all my quilts short and love it.

S.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    i doubt it. the length of a diagonal is only good if the quilt is un-cinched, and laying flat. add the side squared to the end squared, then take the square root.
    in the case of my quilts, for instance, the side^2 plus the end^2 comes to be 40 squared plus 52 squared, added together and the square root is 65.6 - therefore the maximum diagonal length is ~ 65 inches.. but - BUT you never lay exactly at this position and the quilt ends being gathered to close air gaps is never 40 inches at the ends. so, we can approximate the end to be closer to 30 inches, and we get the calculation: 30 inches squared plus 52 inches squared (if layed flat, not on a curve as would be seen on a hammock sleeper) and we only get 60 inches. so top that off with a loss of length, and a non-perfect diagonal, and we get roughly 58 inches of usable quilt space. unless you are under 58", or 4 feet 10, it wont be full coverage. then you have to add in the additonal loss of the last few inches of "non" full loft near the ends of the quilt, and you are left with about 52 inches of usable, full loft and comfort. which is, the length of my quilt laid flat. my advice, unless you are 4 feet 4 inches tall, use a foot pad or other means of insulation. (my personal favorites for head and foot insulation are BlackRock gear beanies, and Flamethrower Gear down socks)
    Last edited by te-wa; 10-19-2012 at 22:10.

• + New Posts