Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage system

Storage system

Hi all!

I'm relatively new here. I recently bought a DD travel hammock and have asked a few questions on the DD forum but nobody seems to be hamging out there so I thoiught I'd ask here!

I bought the hammock to use as I motorbike around Europe next summer. I wanted a hammock where I could store my motorbike clothing with me as I sleep (there'll be space for everything but that in the bike panniers). I really like the Clark but don't want to spend that much on my first hammock.

I asked DD if they could do me a custom hammock with some sort of storage space added and they suggested that i simply buy one of their mesh hammocks and string it up underneath me within easy reach.

Well, that's a briliant idea and that's what I've done. But ideally, I'd like to have evrything sort of pre-set up in hammock sleeves for a speedy set up and take down (I'll be rough/stealth camping most of the time).

Do any of you master hanger's employ a similar system or can anyone advise me on how to set this up? Maybe there's a simple way to attatch the mesh hammock to the DD Travel Hammock suspension (I've gone with whoopie slings and tree huggers after perusing this forum).

I'm completely new to hanging, so any advice from fellow motorbikers, snakeskin/sleeve users or any advice regarding storage would be must appreciated =D)

Dan

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Flatline, a fellow member here, designed the Lazy Slug Tube, which is like a larger pair of snakeskins. It's designed to rapidly deploy and take down your hammock, underquilt, topquilt, and anything else you may decide to leave in your hammock. I haven't used one, but there are a lot of people who find them very convenient.

Here's a photo, and you can see more in the gallery:

Hope this helps
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I store my system in a similar "python" configuration. If you wanted, you could probably include your mesh system in there as well. I use a camp seat/gear hammock that I made except that I store it on top.

Here is the first part of the video that shows how I store everything together. Takes me very little time to set up:

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Images
    Another option, Warbonnet's Blackbird has a nifty storage 'shelf' built in, as does his new bridge hammock dubbed the 'Ridgerunner', he calls them saddle bags.
    Or, Molly Mac Gear has a cool gear hammock I've been eyeballing.
    Warbonnet hammocks
    Gear Hammock

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

gear hammock

Silly question....since you'll empty out the panniers in camp can't you just put your riding gear back in there? I'm guessing maybe it doesn't fold sufficiently to fit?

Another storage option would be a "gear hammock" such as this one:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/jef...ockpack-cover/

There are several different ways to rig it depending on your needs. It makes a great pack cover too (for you maybe a seat cover). I really think a chunk of silnylon will be similar in weight but much more multi-purpose than a mesh hammock. YMMV...

I tend to rig my hammock with the carabiners close to the tree - could you not just clip the gear hammock to them?

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Stock
    I have one of the JRB "gear hammocks" like zuki mentioned. So far it's been working great.

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker/Slack house
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Super Snuggler
    Suspension
    Eno Helios
    Could you use one of those mesh hammocks that ebay sells for a dollar?

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies! I'll deal with each of you in turn, so form an orderly line!

Tim: that lazy slug looks HUGE! The needs of a biker are pretty similar to a backpacker and I think the slug with everything in would just be too hard to pack =D) Plus, I'm not that lazy, I don't mind packing my pads and quilts seperately, I'm just looking for a way to have all the hammock stuff done in one go.

Duane: great videos, very detailed and informative and I am indeed looking for a similar setup. I watched all three parts of that video and didn't see or hear about a gear hammock though =( You mentioned slinging yours above the hammock, is that so it doesn't interfere with the UQ?

Fallkniven: I'm not really looking to buy any more gear. I already have the hammock, tarp, mesh hammock, suspension and two hammock skins. That gear hammock from MMG looks good though lol! But I'm still left with the question, how do I incorporate it into a one-step hang similar to that in Duane's video.

Zukiguy: Not a silly question, but one that could have been avoided if I'd given more info. I won't be emptying side panniers at camp as I only plan to camp for as long as I need to sleep. The panniers will have camera gear in and tools/clothes. I'll also have a top box and a tank bag. The tank bag will contain stuff that I need access to on a daily basis (maps, books, water etc) and the top box will hold all the hammock gear.
    Once I remove the hammock stuff, my helmet will take up all the space in the top box. As for the tank bag, that needs to be stored along with my biker gear (jacket, jeans, waterproofs). I want to store that within reach of the hammock because I'll need to put it on again in the morning and don't want to be running back and forth to the bike in the nude!
    The mesh hammock will hopefully hold all I need and, if I can incorporate it inot a snakeskin type, one-step hang, then it doesn't need to be multi-purpose.
    I've already bought the whole set-up, I just need tips on how to rig it, so when i start experimenting, I have some ideas to try out and tweak.

Spandit: I'm thinking I could clip the mesh hammock to the biners and then just skin everything up. That way, I'm only hanging the hammock and tarp, so the storage shelf will take care of itself. I was hoping to get confirmation on that before I try it because it would mean changing the suspension set up of the mesh hammock (it comes with nice long tree straps, it'd probably just need whoopies or shock cord to tie it to the biners.

Skronky and ntdf60: I already own a DD mesh hammock, so I'm looking for ways to rig that

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd second the idea of simply snapping the mesh hammock to the suspension underneath your Travel. I had a DD hammock before, and I think that something like the mesh hammock would readily fit into the snake skin. If you tie the straps into a small loop closest to the hammoc, you can just leave a biner on there (assuming you've stuck with its original suspension).

So far I've just hung my rider gear freely on the suspension, but I've been thinking about a set-up like this. It would work for a backpack as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast