Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    Farmers almanac says a lot of snow in new England....I hope they are correct!
    **fingers crossed!!**
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    The old people say listen to the old pecan trees, young ones will get fooled but the old ones can do the predicting.

As for me, I'm getting ready for a harsh winter of 32*F
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Images
    It was autumn, and the Indians on the remote reservation asked their new Chief if the winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was a new Indian Chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets, and when he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the weather was going to be. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he replied to his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect wood to be prepared. But also being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked,
    "Is the coming winter going to be cold?"
    "It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold indeed," the meteorologist at the weather service responded.
    So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more wood in order to be prepared. A week later he called the National Weather Service again.
    "Is it going to be a very cold winter?"
    "Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter."
    The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of wood they could find. Two weeks later he called the National Weather Service again.
    "Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"
    "Absolutely," the man replied. "It's going to be one of the coldest winters ever."
    "How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.
    The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting wood like crazy!"
    Submitted by Scott D.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Stock
    Here in Nashville it seems a little bit colder than usual. Hoping for snow finally!

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Asym
    Tarp
    Equinox
    Insulation
    LeighLo TQ, HHSS
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    we had our Colorado "Fall" hang last weekend, and the low temperature dipped to about 12 degrees F. At last year's "Winter" hang, it was more like 20. It looks like we might be in for a real winter after all.

Then again, the high in Denver today was something like 74, so maybe not...

Colorado weather is kind of wacky.
    yes it is! You have to be ready for snow in July some years. Missing the Western Slope.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I need a snowy winter this year for an upcoming adventure. Fingers crossed for some cold!

Fronkey
    Breaking that snow all day on ups and downs is.....Tiring)))))) Just trying to control the sweat and not get soaked is a skill.
    Short days and long nights and making miles is a challenge. I am always put in my place by the Snow Gods.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Breaking that snow all day on ups and downs is.....Tiring)))))) Just trying to control the sweat and not get soaked is a skill.
    Short days and long nights and making miles is a challenge. I am always put in my place by the Snow Gods.
    I am going in there with a very humbled approach and have the mind set that I am a guest out there with those Snow Gods being the boss. There will be many trips to the trail before hand to test out difficult sections with Tala and practicing things to become second nature, like sweat output. Tala and I have already been training on the physical part too.

I'm sure we'll see each other at a fire before then and I'm hoping you guys drive the fear into my head if I start sounding over confident.

Fronkey

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I'm gonna kick Snow God Booty ... Snow Quest ...gotta' love it
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I hope that is what that means, and I hope they are right. But I am a little concerned when I see these real early cold snaps breaking records, because I have been faked out by that a few times over the years.

I'm trying to remember how it started last year. I'm thinking the backpack in the Sipsey Wilderness - 1st weekend in Oct. - was about 38F, pretty much about like this time. Then after that came a winter that was a summer.
    I wore my winter coat out exactly 4 days last winter. Made it fine with long sleeves and a jacket every other day.
    Last edited by alacaledonia; 10-12-2012 at 22:04. Reason: possible political comment - sorry

Hammock
    DIY, so far
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    underground quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie !!
    Man I miss snow, down here in georgia I might get snow for a weekend ......maybe
    I can levitate.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .In my Hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast