DIY Argon + DIY fronkeynet
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 12x10
    Insulation
    Burrow20+Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

Odd variant on a soft shackle

Following on the excess of splicing and knotting I did this weekend, I started thinking about the potential of a variation on the soft shackle, where one or both of the tails are excessively long and form whoopie slings (so the soft shackle replaces the locked brummel/fixed eye).

It's difficult for me to articulate exactly why I find this idea compelling, but for some reason it just... seems cool. Problems that immediately spring to mind: since the tension would pull directly on the diamond knot in the end of the shackle, the shackle would collapse very tightly around whatever it was attached to; and it's less versatile than a simple larksheaded loop using a fixed eye, because it has a fixed maximum diameter.

I guess I'm hoping for someone to tell me this is a dumb idea (and why), because otherwise I may just go make one

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Its not a dumb idea. In Grizz's video about hardware free suspension, he uses diamond stopper knots and loops with slider knots as connections. I've thought about making a short continuous loop with a diamond knot for the end of a hammock and a making a whoopie sling with a soft shackle type loop instead of the regular fixed loop to avoid using slider knots. Its similar to your idea only you do not need to make it with a diamond knot. You can make the fixed loop like this but unlike the picture where the buried end comes out and the two ends make a diamond knot, you simply bury the one end in a locked brummel and the other end is left long to form the rest of the whoopie sling. The opening of the shackle will go around the diamond knot that's on the hammock and then you have a connection without hardware. I did this when I made a detachable structural ridgeline on my WBBB.
    Last edited by Bubba; 10-08-2012 at 19:49.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Do you mean this?
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56675

Obviously I went ahead and made one. I just thought it made the whoopie sling a little more versatile should the need arise, but it maybe fixing sumthin' that aint broke!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bowl-maker; 10-09-2012 at 14:55.

Hammock
    DIY Argon + DIY fronkeynet
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 12x10
    Insulation
    Burrow20+Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Thanks guys! That's some food for thought for sure. I think I'm going to shelve this for a while as it seems it doesn't have any real advantages over a regular whoopie. I think I'll make some dogbones instead!

On a related note, I remember hearing that soft-on-soft connections are bad, but I see more and more that people are larksheading dogbones to whoopies, or whoopies to other whoopies etc. Is there a downside to doing this or have I just been misinformed this whole time?

• + New Posts