After borrowing most of my hammock gear to a friend for use this weekend I remembered that I was also planning on hanging. Not having the heart to say "Give it all back" I began a DIY-athon.
My son has been asking for his own set up, so he'll be set better than every other Cub Scout at the next camping trip.
I began with a new Silnylon Hex Tarp with winter doors and Prussic knot and shock cord pull outs.
I had also wanted a new Down Top Quilt which ended with 5" of loft, very comfy.
I made a couple of "Dog Bone" pillows to support my neck, the first made with down didn't provide enough support, so I made another with regular pillow stuffing.
I also made a fleece cover for my Nalgene which will keep the cold and condensation under control and prevent burns when used with boiling water.
After all of that my son laid his eyes on my Black Rock hat and decided that he wanted one for his very own. I couldn't afford another, so I sewed him one of these using the plans from HF.
It's been a very busy time with the thread injector, but rewarding now that it's all done.
I was able to hang with all of this and my new incubator UQ this weekend, temps dropped to the low 20's with 30-40 knot winds. I was snug as a bug in "my son's" rug!
We hung at a ski hill that I patrol and everyone else thought that we (Mouseskowitz & myself) were crazy. On Sunday we went to the front desk to check out and turned in our "keys" . . . a stick. Lot's of laughs to be had, but we were probably the most comfortable throughout the weekend.