Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images

Climashield Apex Underquilt

So I've grown tired of pads and as most I want to try an Underquilt. I want to keep it as light as possible and need a few pointers
    before I dive into this.

First of all I have decided I am going to use a single layer of 5oz. Climashield APEX to match my TQ. should be good for close to 25* temps with the right clothing. Also for size I am kinda leaning towards 44" width with dif cuts and a 48" torso length to cut down on weight. Open to suggestions on length here.

What I would like to do is only have to put an outer shell of 1.1 ripstop on the climashield and save the weight of having an inner layer that butts up against the hammock. My question is how much larger/how should I sew the outer shell to the climashield so that I do not flatten out my insulation when the UQ is hung?

thanks in advance!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Climashield picks up everything...think Velcro with more room for stuff to get into. You would pick up every bit of fuzz, leaf, pine needle in the forest. The two layers of fabric over two would save you just about an ounce at that size but you would pick that much crap up in the bare climashield in two trips. We spend loads of time cleaning the climashield in the shop before we sew up quilts. Every bit of thread clippings within a hundred feet seems to find its way onto the climashield and that's in a "clean" environment.

My 2 cents after three years and pushing a couple thousand yards of climashield.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Personally, I don't think Climashield will hold up in the long run unless it's covered on both sides by nylon. Unless of course, this is a temporary solution.

If the inner width is 44" then the outer should be about 48" assuming 1.25" thick for the Climashield.

1.25" of loft generally equates to something in the 40+ degree range. Everyone is different of course, but make sure you are a very warm sleeper because this isn't going to get you to 25 degrees.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    thanks so much for the quick replies. I guess I will go ahead and also put an inner layer of 1.1 ripstop. good thing I already ordered enough because i was going to make my dog a small tent that would sit on the ground and suspend from my hammock suspension. Which I was already going to have to redesign that. may need to pick up some more grosgrain though...

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I have put together 4 UQs so far. All of different lengths & widths for family members. On mine i measured my shoulders with a seamstress tape and went from there, wish I made it wider though, with "just enough room" it tends to slip easier than a wider one does. I used nylon on the inside and syl outside. The syl stopped the brease and i haven't had any issues with moisture even on foggy damp nights. I used 6oz apex and was comfy down to the low 30's.

I saved a little wieght by using 1.1ripstop for the suspension channels. I dont have any grosgrain ribbon on it anywhere and after three seasons of moderate use it still looks like the day I finished it.

Happy injecting
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    If you want to save weight, I agree with skipping the grosgrain. I don't even use it on my gossamer M50 or D8 quilts.

Of you tell us you height & weight, we could better advise you on the size.

I'm 6'-1" and like my UQ 54" long. That covers my neck to mid thigh. I weigh 200 pounds and make my UQ 40" wide. This is just adequate for me. I think most go a little wider. These are finished dimensions. I always seem to lose about 5% of length and width during sewing, so I cut 5% bigger.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Personally, I don't think Climashield will hold up in the long run unless it's covered on both sides by nylon. Unless of course, this is a temporary solution.

If the inner width is 44" then the outer should be about 48" assuming 1.25" thick for the Climashield.

1.25" of loft generally equates to something in the 40+ degree range. Everyone is different of course, but make sure you are a very warm sleeper because this isn't going to get you to 25 degrees.
    Barbermike is going to use 1 layer 5 oz/sq.yd CS, correct? I have only used 2 layers of 2.5 oz/sq.yd at about 40 even ( plenty toasty) and when in the 20s have had 3 layers, equal to about one 7 oz layer. But again, way toasty into the 20s. In all of these cases could obviously have gone lower.

However, the one I have pushed close to it's limits was one layer of 2.5 oz/sq.yd. And that limit was about mid 40s with no other insulating layers except usual cotton clothing, jeans/tee shirt. So I have always wondered how far I could take two layers of the same, = to the 5 oz layer that barbermike plans to use.

Of course, whatever the temp limit is all must be perfect to you, barbermike, to reach it. With some means of preventing any drafts around the edges or any gaps for whatever reason. I think you should consider 2 layers of nylon with a differential cut. Inner layer nylon smaller than the outer layer, so that you can snug the quilt against your back without worrying about compressing the CS.

And is there a windproof fabric that is also plenty breathable? Blocking the wind is WAY important.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon1.0 Netless
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Gen4
    Insulation
    EE-Prodigy KAQ-Jar
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    My height is about 5'11" and I weigh in around 180lbs. and would say I am a very average build. I've been using a 26"x48" length torso pad and not been bothered by the length. Thus why I decided to go with this length for the UQ. My limiting factors are the material I ordered. 4 yards of 48" 1.1 ripstop and 2 yards of 5oz 60" APEX. So I may not be able to completely forgo the Grosgrain but will try and use it only on the short sides. and on the long suspended sides just wrap excess 1.1 ripstop over to make a channel. Maybe if I go down to a 42" width I will be fine and not have to use grosgrain. Measured my shoulder wrap and got about 30" from in front of arm around back to in front of opposite arm.
    Last edited by barbermike; 10-10-2012 at 06:30.

• + New Posts