Hey I'm new to backpacking and since I'm a bit of a hobby geek I got interested in ultralight really quick. I'm 6'2" 190 lbs so my gear is a little heavier by default. When I started looking at getting a quilt to replace my sleeping bag Tim over at enlightened equipment mentioned that he's been hanging for 3 seasons and has gotten the best backcountry sleep since he was a kid.

This got my mind stuck on the idea of a hammock and at first glance the set up looked like more weight than I wanted to be carrying. On the other hand I kept thinking about how nice it would be to have a peaceful night sleep out in the woods. After looking further into set ups I decided to order a HH Hyperlight from REI to give it a try. If I don't really like it then I'll send it back. I'd also like to give a WBBB a shot.

Only down side for me is I do most of my trips with my girlfriend and while she is also down to give hanging a try I'm sure she's going to miss snuggling in a tent. Hopefully she likes the good sleep she gets in a hammock or I might end up on the ground when I'm out with her.

-Loki