Portland Oregon local learning about hanging

Hey I'm new to backpacking and since I'm a bit of a hobby geek I got interested in ultralight really quick. I'm 6'2" 190 lbs so my gear is a little heavier by default. When I started looking at getting a quilt to replace my sleeping bag Tim over at enlightened equipment mentioned that he's been hanging for 3 seasons and has gotten the best backcountry sleep since he was a kid.

This got my mind stuck on the idea of a hammock and at first glance the set up looked like more weight than I wanted to be carrying. On the other hand I kept thinking about how nice it would be to have a peaceful night sleep out in the woods. After looking further into set ups I decided to order a HH Hyperlight from REI to give it a try. If I don't really like it then I'll send it back. I'd also like to give a WBBB a shot.

Only down side for me is I do most of my trips with my girlfriend and while she is also down to give hanging a try I'm sure she's going to miss snuggling in a tent. Hopefully she likes the good sleep she gets in a hammock or I might end up on the ground when I'm out with her.

-Loki

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    welcome from east tenn. my gal "lunchbox" and i make it work, maybe ya'll can to, Im workin on a DIY double so we can get together. happy hangin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    The HH Hyperlight is a great hammock but you may find your a bit tall for it. Might want to try out an UL Explorer, it will give you more room.

There are plenty of hangers locally with just about any hammock you could imagine. Most people have no issue letting you lay in there hammocks to see how they feel. If you can, it really gives you a better idea of what will work for you.. Takes a lot of the trial and error out of your search.

Quote Originally Posted by lokbot View Post
    Hey I'm new to backpacking and since I'm a bit of a hobby geek I got interested in ultralight really quick. I'm 6'2" 190 lbs so my gear is a little heavier by default. When I started looking at getting a quilt to replace my sleeping bag Tim over at enlightened equipment mentioned that he's been hanging for 3 seasons and has gotten the best backcountry sleep since he was a kid.

This got my mind stuck on the idea of a hammock and at first glance the set up looked like more weight than I wanted to be carrying. On the other hand I kept thinking about how nice it would be to have a peaceful night sleep out in the woods. After looking further into set ups I decided to order a HH Hyperlight from REI to give it a try. If I don't really like it then I'll send it back. I'd also like to give a WBBB a shot.

Only down side for me is I do most of my trips with my girlfriend and while she is also down to give hanging a try I'm sure she's going to miss snuggling in a tent. Hopefully she likes the good sleep she gets in a hammock or I might end up on the ground when I'm out with her.

-Loki
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Quote Originally Posted by lokbot View Post
    -Loki

you and your gf can sleep at home together and snuggle all you want . Once you both get in the woods she will like sleeping alone. You can hang close enough to each other so that you can be touching..if you like.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forums Lokbot.. from Charlotte, NC.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Hello and welcome to the forums from Indiana!

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    Welcome from Salem.

Welcome! There are a few of us here in Portland. All my gear is DIY. I'm tall too--the trick with that is (somewhat counterintutively) getting a wider hammock body. You might want to look into the DangerBird 72" or one of the poly taffeta tablecloth DIY things. A narrower hammock becomes a lot more problematic when has an integrated bugnet, etc.

Hanging with your GF is entirely possible. If you have adequately rated gear, you can cuddle (or more!) for a while in one hammock and sleep separately (but within hand-holding distance) in two.

Be warned, however, that you might have a hard time convincing her to leave her hammock in the morning.

• + New Posts