Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    The cheapest and most convenient solution is just to buy a WM blue pad and cut it down as needed. It won't be the lightest option or the warmest for the weight or thickness, but it's all I have ever used so far. This is all I have used for years now, going along on on all my trips. For the legs with my "Yeti", or placed into the pad pocket of my JRB bridge, or even placed under the hammock inside of a Speer Pea Pod. But mostly just used for sitting around the camp fire or for lunch breaks when the ground is cold and wet.

But if I was really counting the ounces, I would go to the trouble of getting something lighter.

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Prolite SX 8 oz / 230 g, L 36 in / 91 cm, W 20 in / 51 cm,
    Packed dimension 11 x 3.3 in / 28 x 8 cm

half inflated

I got the red old one not the new ones with antislip bottom side.

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    The Edge
    no strike, had a closer look

I have been using the Thermarest Prolite S
    with the length 47 in / 119 cm, it packs quiet small,
    and gives long people a bit of length,
    and because half inflated bends slightly around the legs,

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double Layer (Black!)
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Forgive my ignorance (quite new to hammock camping), but is the difficulty of designing a full length UQ that fits a hammock snugly the primary reason that most available UQs are 3/4 length?

It seems that carrying a 3/4 length UQ always necessitates carrying an additional short pad / insulating device, so I would imagine it cant be about weight savings..

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    The reason for 3/4 is really about packability. Full length UQs do not pack down nearly as well as 3/4 which is why so many people use them. Think about carry about 2.5 sleeping bags and you will get the idea what that does to pack volume.

For those of us with UL packs, most of them use a foam pad as the frame so we need to carry one anyway, multi-use item, so this is not a big deal. Currently I am using a Z-packs Arc so I do not need one for the frame but this set up save me 10 oz and gives me the flexibility of going to ground if I have to. With only a UQ you have no ground insulation.

Hope that helps.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB SL, HH ULBP,Clark Flex
    Tarp
    HG4Scamo,Vertex
    Insulation
    UKhammocks,Yeti 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I also ordered a 3 season yeti 2 weeks ago (will have to wait a bit longer as it has to travel to europe ). Will try 6 or 8 segments of a therm-a-rest z-rest.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerfan View Post
    Forgive my ignorance (quite new to hammock camping), but is the difficulty of designing a full length UQ that fits a hammock snugly the primary reason that most available UQs are 3/4 length?

It seems that carrying a 3/4 length UQ always necessitates carrying an additional short pad / insulating device, so I would imagine it cant be about weight savings..
    Partial underquilts are mostly driven by the fact that they are often carried backpacking, where both weight and bulk are concerns.

For a long time, almost all underquilts were full-length. And quite a few manufacturers still make full-length ones (JRB, for instance). But when Warbonnet introduced the Yeti (first commercial partial UQ), it slowly caught on for a number of reasons.

Partial underquilts are generally a little lighter, less bulky, and also slightly cheaper because they use less insulation (down). And while you do add some bulk back to your kit by carrying a pad, that same pad tends to be multi-use (sit pad, windscreen for a stove, etc).

The fit issues of a full-length quilt are mainly a secondary concern. The more advanced radial baffle, shaped quilts do a good job of fitting even if full-length.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by spike71 View Post
    I also ordered a 3 season yeti 2 weeks ago (will have to wait a bit longer as it has to travel to europe ). Will try 6 or 8 segments of a therm-a-rest z-rest.
    We will have to exchange notes on how they perform when they arrive. I held off for a long time before making the switch from a full length UQ and am still nervous about the setup. After sleeping on 1/8 torso length pads on the ground though, this should still be an improvement in comfort!
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    I have a Gossamer Gear Nightlite pad. I cut it in half and now have two 20" x 24" pads. They make great sit pads and landing pads as well as footpads.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Partial underquilts are mostly driven by the fact that they are often carried backpacking, where both weight and bulk are concerns.

For a long time, almost all underquilts were full-length. And quite a few manufacturers still make full-length ones (JRB, for instance). But when Warbonnet introduced the Yeti (first commercial partial UQ), it slowly caught on for a number of reasons.

Partial underquilts are generally a little lighter, less bulky, and also slightly cheaper because they use less insulation (down). And while you do add some bulk back to your kit by carrying a pad, that same pad tends to be multi-use (sit pad, windscreen for a stove, etc).

The fit issues of a full-length quilt are mainly a secondary concern. The more advanced radial baffle, shaped quilts do a good job of fitting even if full-length.
    ^ this

Having had a full length and a 2/3 length under quilt. The weight and bulk in the pack is night and day.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12