GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

Sleeping pad question...

Ok so I've never used a sleeping pad and have been considering getting one but I just don't know if I believe something that's filled with air and only 1 1/2" thick is gonna make much difference. So I figured I would ask the very folks that have done it both ways.

Is it really worth the space and money, weight isn't a huge issue for me as my trips are only 5 to 10 miles. I'm no gram weenie lol
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    "If you can't change it, don't worry about it."
    -Me

“All you need is 20 seconds and insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.”

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You will need something under you whether an air-filled pad lightly inflated or a closed cell foam pad.
    I used CCF pads and usually had some condensation. Had better luck with my Thermarest pad.
    Used a home-made SPE with my pads.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Desiel View Post
    Ok so I've never used a sleeping pad and have been considering getting one but I just don't know if I believe something that's filled with air and only 1 1/2" thick is gonna make much difference. So I figured I would ask the very folks that have done it both ways.

Is it really worth the space and money, weight isn't a huge issue for me as my trips are only 5 to 10 miles. I'm no gram weenie lol
    Well, you are going to need SOMETHING to insulate you, whether on the ground or in a hammock. Plus on the ground you need something to cushion unless you are real young and tough, unlike me. So if you don't use an under quilt of some sort, or use a short UQ, or if you are forced to ground or shelter, or even if you need a sit pad because you don't want to sit on the wet ground or snow, then you will still need a pad of some type.

And the difference "something that's filled with air and only 1 1/2" thick" will make is fairly enormous. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the same thickness = same warmth, when dealing with totally different materials.

I think there are some people here who take a WM blue pad ( 1/2" thick ) down into the 30s, maybe some manage even into the 20s? Sense most people feel cool in a hammock at 70, especially if there is any wind, even if you can only go to 40 that's about 30F worth of protection ( 70-40=30) from 1/2" of foam. Same with the ~ 5/8" open cell foam in an HHSS pad. 1.5" of CCF will take many folks way, way down there.

Cold weather inflatable pads are not filled with just air, like an air mattress. But they contain open cell foam or synthetic or down insulation. Or in the case of the Thermarest Neoairs, some sort of super tech reflectors. So they insulate much like a CCF pad, though they may need to be a bit thicker or heavier for the same insulation, but also with more cushioning.

Anyway, believe me, if you find yourself with an ice cold back/butt shivering at 40F in a hammock, and you put even a 1/2" CCF pad or 1" thick inflatable Thermarest under you you, you will find the difference to be night and day. You will find you are about 30*F warmer at least.

EDIT: Diesal, I just re-read your OP and it finally occurred to me that you said "Ok so I've never used a sleeping pad". So does this mean you slept on the bare ground in pre-hammock days, or did you just start camping and hammock hanging at the same time?

I also noticed that you use a DIY Pea Pod. So, IMO, you would not normally ever have a need for any kind of pad unless you exceed the temp rating of your pod, or unless you need a sit pad, or unless you might be forced to ground for some reason.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-11-2012 at 10:08.

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    EDIT: Diesal, I just re-read your OP and it finally occurred to me that you said "Ok so I've never used a sleeping pad". So does this mean you slept on the bare ground in pre-hammock days, or did you just start camping and hammock hanging at the same time?

reason.
    I have actually never slept in my hammock only done some "test" hangs to see how it feels. I have always been a tent camper and just slept in the tent on a sleeping bag.

I'm not totally sure that I will even be able to sleep in a hammock because I"m normally a belly sleeper but I'm kind of a gear junkie so I picked mine up from someone here on the forum so I could try it out.
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    -Me

“All you need is 20 seconds and insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.”

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You will need something under you whether an air-filled pad lightly inflated or a closed cell foam pad.
    I used CCF pads and usually had some condensation. Had better luck with my Thermarest pad.
    Used a home-made SPE with my pads.
    Shug

Wooo Buddy it's the Shug, love your videos and Aerial with the hoops wow....

Ah what the heck is another $50 to go with the rest of the gear to try it out lol.
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    -Me

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies
    I use my big agnes bag and air mattress. The big agnes bags have a sleeve in the back to slide the air mattress into so there is no compression of the insulation. It also helps to keep you from sliding off the mattress. I leave my bag half unzipped so that I can get into it. And the mattress is not fully inflated so that it conforms to the space and you better.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Desiel View Post
    I have actually never slept in my hammock only done some "test" hangs to see how it feels. I have always been a tent camper and just slept in the tent on a sleeping bag.
    Wow! Tough as iron! Are you young? I probably did things like that when I was 18 or even 24, but not much past that age. I can remember at least one time sleeping on bare ground and another on the beach ( not so bad on the sand ), but on the ground with no pad sounds horrible now.

most of the self-inflating pads actually have open cell foam inside them, so it's not really "only" 1.5" of air. The added air just keeps it from compressing so it maintains the insulation value.
    I find a pad also helps me sleep flatter.

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    on the ground with no pad sounds horrible now.
    On the ground at all is the stuff of nightmares for me.

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Wow! Tough as iron! Are you young? I probably did things like that when I was 18 or even 24, but not much past that age. I can remember at least one time sleeping on bare ground and another on the beach ( not so bad on the sand ), but on the ground with no pad sounds horrible now.
    I'm 25 and ya I wake up a bit stiff but I've always just tossed that in with "it's camping"

Ok Guess I'll be keeping an eye out for a good deal on a pad since it seems to be a pretty unanimous vote from the "experts" lol
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    -Me

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast