Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by toygun View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way but the thing is this is not ebay, nor is the site set around selling gear. We are here to talk about hammocks and all things hammock related. We just happen to have a spot for those that contribute to the community to sell used gear.

To your hypothetical point (again don't take this the wrong way)... but maybe the guy created the account 3 years ago thinking he would be able to sell gear here and never contribute to the community and the only reason he comes here is to sell gear. I'd rather buy gear from someone that I know contributes (regardless of how long he has been here) to a community that i respect and enjoy on a daily basis... at least I know him better than the guy with no post count that's here to just unload his gear. To be honest I don't like giving my money to people I don't know- I work hard for what little I have.

For all of those wanting to sell gear there are large gear re-selling sites out there that will give you even larger audiences to sell too... like http://www.geartrade.com/.
    I agree that this site should be centered around hammocks and all things hammocks...however, gear IS what that is all about. All the new ideas, theories, knowledge, comraderie, hammock hangs, ect. all stem from the hammock gear itself. So having a thriving section in which hammock gear can be sold and purchased is paramount because people are able to try out equipment, discuss new ideas, and spread knowledge about the things they learn. Having gear for sale that is generally cheaper allows people to try different things, learn from them, talk about it, and then sell them if its not a good fit. So my argument is that the selling and purchasing of used gear is very important to the long term viability and progression of this site because without it , many are cut off from this process.

So making the for sale section open to as many people as possible while still maintaining a certain amount of purchasing safety should be a large part of this site in my opinion. I think that a seller and purchaser rating system like those seen in other hobby forums would go a long way in providing this safety. I personally dont care if I buy a used $200 tarp that retails for $300 from someone that is active on this forum with 400 posts or from someone that sits on the sidelines with 25 posts. Bottom line is im getting a great discount to try out a new tarp, share my likes/dislikes, learn from others, and share my own knowledge of the equipment.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It confuses me why people join a forum and then complain about how it's run. Membership here is purely voluntary...if you disagree with the rules, find a new forum with rules that fit your style better. Someone with legitimate question about the rules, or a constructive suggestion, is always received well here...complaining without offering a solution is not.

It's interesting how many PMs and public posts the mods get about the awesome job we're doing, and how there are about 20 members who post like we run a gulag...and then talk about how many people agree with them.

We're very open about the moderation of this site. If the rules are acceptable to you, we welcome your participation. If the rules are not, there are literally thousands of other outdoors sites on the internet, and many of them discuss hammocks and have hammock-specific subforums.

So it's a simple calculation...either you like it enough here to participate, or you don't. No one is making you participate against your will.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    MARPAT Freebird/DB72
    Tarp
    UGQ MultiCam WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    It confuses me why people join a forum and then complain about how it's run. Membership here is purely voluntary...if you disagree with the rules, find a new forum with rules that fit your style better. Someone with legitimate question about the rules, or a constructive suggestion, is always received well here...complaining without offering a solution is not.

It's interesting how many PMs and public posts the mods get about the awesome job we're doing, and how there are about 20 members who post like we run a gulag...and then talk about how many people agree with them.

We're very open about the moderation of this site. If the rules are acceptable to you, we welcome your participation. If the rules are not, there are literally thousands of other outdoors sites on the internet, and many of them discuss hammocks and have hammock-specific subforums.

So it's a simple calculation...either you like it enough here to participate, or you don't. No one is making you participate against your will.

+1. Think this is a great site, lots of usable info, well run and very few rules. And those few are simple and easy to understand and follow. As far as post count goes, I try to stay quiet unless I have something constructive to say, but it's very easy to get the needed 50 in a hurry if I or anyone else so desires.
    Great job to all the mods and keep up the good work. Cowboy

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011