Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 Season
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/MSH
    Images
    Just finished making 2 of these for my scouts. We used "kid" sized bags, which translates to about 3/4 length for the boys these days.

Remove the zipper, and fold the bag in half like it was zipped up. At the top of the bag, sew the gross-grain to one layer only, making a pocket for an optional pad. The 3 remaining sides, sew gross-grain to both layers. Shock cord the gross-grain channels, and put cord-locks on the ends.

Hang it off of "quilt triangles." I make mine from 5' of rope, with 3 overhand knots placed at strategic locations.

Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 Season
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/MSH
    Images
    Kiwi requested some pics, so I'll post them here for the benefit of all. Learn from my mistakes....

This basically follows the backwoodsdaydreamer.com pattern for the gross-grain channels.
    http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/d...ex-underquilt/

Top end of sleeping bag is left "open" so that an additional pad or insulation can be added if the temp drops below what is comfortable with the double layer sleeping bag. I'd guess 40 degrees easy.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I literally JUST finished making mine (beta version. I'm sure mods are to come later) and all I did was larkshead to each corner and hang it from my suspension.

Lazy Gresh is lazy.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    ENO and Hennessy
    Insulation
    down UQ
    i use my down sleeping bag rated to -12*c. did this for all members of my family.
    sewed loop tab to each corner (barrel bags). attached two shock cords on each end. one runs from left tab up to hammock end (different attachment point depending on what type of hammock i am using) and back to right tab. same on other end. these keep UQ from sliding lengthwise. second shock cord goes over the top of hammock (over ridgeline if there is one) from left tab to right again, both ends. these keep ends from sagging down. tighten cords until UQ is snug against your back (but not too tight, or insulation is crushed).
    now...on my HH i do not use the side tie outs with this system, and using the shock cord means i can sling the foot end aside to enter the hammock from the bottom. it helps to have another person to help you set this up with you in the hammock, as it is a pain to jump in and out to adjust it just right the first time.
    now...on my ENO....i run the hammock THROUGH the sleeping bag. this is best if you have the two zippers, one at the foot, and one at the head. open the foot end zipper a few inches, pass the end of your hammock through the opening and tie to tree...the head end of hammock passes through the usual neck opening (?lol) of the bag. i use the cinch cord to make this end pretty small and then tie it closed with a square knot over the hammock. tie to tree. get in. zip bag closed (or not, your preference) tighten cords to have UQ against your back. i use those sliding cord thingies to make life easier.
    when the UQ is hung correctly, you will feel an almost instant warmth creep up your back when you first get in the hammock. if you feel chilled, there is either too much air space between your UQ and the hammock, OR you have it too tight against the hammock and are crushing the insulation.
    in the HH i find i still would like a quilt or sleeping bag inside the hammock to stay cozy.
    in the ENO, this is not really necessary. your sleeping bag is both top and bottom insulation. a blanket can be added inside, or a second sleeping bag, rigged as the first, can be used to double bag your hammock. this is very warm. in fact too warm for most nights unless it goes below freezing temps.
    i hope this helps? i like this system because it does not destroy my sleeping bag, i can still use it on the ground or in a car or at a friend's house if need be, and it can be used on any style hammock that i have. )

Hammock
    homemade
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    homemade UQ
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images
    well thank you guys what with all the info i have gotten off here and shugs this has helped a lot thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi Kiwi

I converted a sleeping bag into an UQ - took an afternoon and worked out really well

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=54178

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12