INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    Your welcome to come our way and stay as long as you like.theres not any snow, a little cool now and again and some rain,but for the most part, nice. there is a HF group hang in Nov. at Big Southfork just a little ways north(about an hr) if you need to be shuttled i can help you with that, if you need a place to park your ride where it will be safe i have that here to.best of luck on your journey, if we can help please dont be affraid to ask!
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Florida Trail.

Start at the northern terminus and walk south. You'll have some cool temps until you make the right turn to head south, but it won't be anything too bad. It's a nice trail and resupply is generally a breeze.

Watch out for the spiders! They set traps for hikers.
    I 2nd the Florida Trail. We use to go down there in Feb for some weekend trips. The temps could be in the 60's and all of us would be in shorts. The locals had there down jackets on

Plus the Rainbow folks are down there...interesting...lol
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I feel your urge brother. A couple of months to run away enters my mind every day.
    I'd add the Arizona Trail for consideration. You'd be more likely to get the solitude you're yearning there than in Florida.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    I feel your urge brother. A couple of months to run away enters my mind every day.
    I'd add the Arizona Trail for consideration. You'd be more likely to get the solitude you're yearning there than in Florida.
    Most places that I'd know about for some real solitude would tend to be way cold in the winter. So those are pretty much out. I was thinking about AZ also, but in the MTNs there it is still going to often be 20F and occasionally minus 20 or even colder. ( my personal low at Flagstaff: minus 23, with reports of minus 30 - 40 in some remote areas that morning ) But if you could keep the elevation reasonable, it might not be too bad. Many miles of this trail would probably be at OK elevations, probably plenty to keep OP busy. Some places might be really cold. But not near as bad as some of the places I would recommend if it was summer. Remoteness and solitude should be way up there.

That Texas rec from sargevining has some real possibilities. Plenty of solitude at Big Bend! Temps should be OK.

It seems like the best bet is the AT as some have suggested. At least if a severe cold snap occurred it would not be too hard to escape to a nearby town.

But those FL/AL/GA recs seem the best bet for having temps that won't stress you.

Hammock
    Bias. wwm
    The Ouachita national trail. It's 192 miles goes from Oklahoma to Littlerock ar they have shelters on the Littlerock side. Haven't hiked it yet but grinds have hiked parts. Tim Ernst has a book on it. The winters are not bad

Images
    this might help. many are hammockers.
    http://www.floridahikes.com/
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    My favorite places, Gary, are in New Mexico, where you can find the Gila Wilderness in the South, and the Santa Fe Wilderness, North of Pecos, in the North Central part. Both have perpetual water sources. Then there are the Guadalupe Mountains and Big Bend National Parks in Texas, where water is a challenge.

I've not winter camped much at all so cannot help with the other part of your dilemma except to say that West Texas and New Mexico are warmed by the Chihuahua Desert.

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 11-13-2012 at 11:17. Reason: grammar

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Yet another vote for the Florida Trail. Cannibal's right about the banana spiders, but they should be at about the end of their life cycle most places right now (they're not really dangerously venomous to humans; they're just ugly, huge, and annoying when they bite). By next month or January, the majority of 'em will have died off until March or so.

Most folks finish the FT in three or four months, but if you're a fast hiker, you could probably do it in two to two and an half (20-30 mile days). Most of FL is flat, but don't let that fool you. There're enough poor blazes in places down here to slow you down to map and compass time, the vegetation is no joke (saw palmetto sucks), sugar sand'll tire you down faster than rock hopping, swamps can be less than fun, and you have to be careful about your water planning. Still, it's a fun time. Challenging, but fun. Expect temperatures ranging from ~20* F at the lowest to ~80* F at the highest this time of year, depending on where you are on the trail and what the weather's doing (if you don't like it, sit down and have a beer: by the time you're done...).

Here's the official FTA website.
    Here's our very own lilricky's unofficial GPS data page for the trail.
    Here's a website with many individual experiences about the trail.

I've, personally, done the Ocala South portion of the trail. If you want/need advice about that section (~45 miles), feel free to PM me.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie slings
    Everyone has great points but the AT tends to be on most hikers bucket list but that's coming from a Tennesseean it in my back yard. Good luck be safe and if the AT is off the list Florida sounds great
    A man does not climb a mountain without taking some of it away with him, and leaving something of himself upon it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12