Undercovers for sale?

I am considering switching to hammock hanging from a tarptent Rainbow after discovering the HH Hyperlite. My main concern is keeping warm which I know is a concern to many. I don't want to spend all of the money and weight with having an underquilt/overquilt. The HH Supershelter looks like a nice lightweight alternative that could be extended with garlington insulators, etc. However, it just looks way to expensive for what it is. Is there another site that sells simple silnylon undercovers to fit Hennessy Hammocks?

I would make one myself if I had a sewing machine and the skills to do so. Perhaps I'll start making my own gear once I get back from my AT thru hike in September.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post
    I am considering switching to hammock hanging from a tarptent Rainbow after discovering the HH Hyperlite. My main concern is keeping warm which I know is a concern to many. I don't want to spend all of the money and weight with having an underquilt/overquilt. The HH Supershelter looks like a nice lightweight alternative that could be extended with garlington insulators, etc. However, it just looks way to expensive for what it is. Is there another site that sells simple silnylon undercovers to fit Hennessy Hammocks?

I would make one myself if I had a sewing machine and the skills to do so. Perhaps I'll start making my own gear once I get back from my AT thru hike in September.
    The JRB Weathershield is pretty much the same idea as the HH Supershelter, but is also breathable and (I think) cheaper.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Silnylon may not be the best choice for an under cover. Sil doesn't breath which may result in condensation issue.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    do you mean an underquilt (ie, something for insulation?)

You can get by with a pad and sleeping bag in a hammock. The pad is for insulation, not comfort.

See also Jacks R Better and Patrick's KAQ and also Ed Speer's pea pod (check out the SPE (speer pad extender) also at that link)

err-- just re-read your post again. Think underquilt+ top quilt as a two part sleeping bag. They really are quite light. sleeping bag by itself doesn't work because you compress the insulation underneath you.

TH
    Last edited by titanium_hiker; 02-19-2007 at 20:17. Reason: fixing links
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

I will be using a Nunatak Arc Alpinist for my overquilt if i use a system like this. I wasn't so concerned about breathability because I'll probably use a space blanket on top of the undercover to help with condensation. Then perhaps a torso length ridgerest that I already carry for a sit pad.

So is the JRB Weathershield really the only commercially available undercover? I'm sure I could make my own if I ordered some silnylon from Oware, but I can't connect lines for attaching to the HH without a sewing machine...

Images

no sew

use gromets and shock cord if you can't sew it should work
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

• + New Posts