Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Hammock Bullying - I'm sick of it

I'm just so sick of people bullying me because I like hammock camping.

My son celebrated his 21st birthday today and we had a party with 15 or 20 people in the house, relatives and folks I haven't seen in years. Apparently, my wife told them all that they should talk to me about my strange hammock obsession. I can hear her now telling them, "My husband has six hammocks and six tarps - he sleeps in the woods in hammocks. He's obsessed. You should talk to him about it - he'll wear your ear out."

The whole night people were coming up to me saying, "So tell me about this hammock obsession of yours." The whole family thinks it's funny.

Another theme was, "Your wife says you hike so far that you piss blood." Okay, I did pass a kidney stone on the Appalachian Trail this year, but that didn't have much to do with my mileage. Every time I tell my wife I'm going hiking, her stock response is, "Are you gonna hike so far you piss blood?"

The wife seems to equate hiking with pissing blood, since it happened once. When I hiked 24 miles in two days a couple of weeks ago, she said, "How much blood did you piss?" Same response for 28 miles in two days.

It's a form of bullying, and it shouldn't be tolerated.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    It's a form of bullying, and it shouldn't be tolerated.
    It sounds like you just need to tell your wife what she needs to hear.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    It sounds like you just need to tell your wife what she needs to hear.
    What should I be telling her?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    That your hiking is a healthy outdoor pursuit, and the hammocks are a means to the end. (No mention of anything she should legitimately criticize.)
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    That your beer glass is dangerously close to empty?
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Whatever she needs to hear . Back rubs, flowers, some sweet nothings whispered into her ears and cold hard cash won't hurt either.

Honestly, I've not been bullied. Most people are curious. My husband and family thought it was weird at first and at times still do (I am obsessed), but after trying to float on the Muskingum River on a homemade coroplast boat at a semi successful accomplishment, and then adding my son on it with me, they aren't thinking the hammock thing is too bad of a thing to do anymore.

....so you could always step it up a notch in a totally unlikely area, scare the crap out of everyone with your thought patterns, and then they will be thankful for the hammocking, or go back and refer to the first paragraph

True story. I'm thinking coroplast will make a decent hand glider too The possibilities are endless here. I'm keeping that one in my pocket for later when I need to remind the family that hammocking just makes good sense.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Whatever she needs to hear . Back rubs, flowers, some sweet nothings whispered into her ears and cold hard cash won't hurt either.

Honestly, I've not been bullied. Most people are curious. My husband and family thought it was weird at first and at times still do (I am obsessed), but after trying to float on the Muskingum River on a homemade coroplast boat at a semi successful accomplishment, and then adding my son on it with me, they aren't thinking the hammock thing is too bad of a thing to do anymore.

....so you could always step it up a notch in a totally unlikely area, scare the crap out of everyone with your thought patterns, and then they will be thankful for the hammocking, or go back and refer to the first paragraph

True story. I'm thinking coroplast will make a decent hand glider too The possibilities are endless here. I'm keeping that one in my pocket for later when I need to remind the family that hammocking just makes good sense.
    Wow. I have a hammock and boat obsession too. Mine is even worse because I wil ONLY consider DIY of either. It's gotten to the point where my wife has offered to buy me a commercial kayak to get me off the DIY obsession!

Check out www.orukayak.com for an interesting take on a coroplast boat. I did an 8' long version suitable for my 8 & 10-year-old sons.
    My latest obsession is a DIY "Falco" folding kayak designed by Tom Yost. We're going to have an entire FLEET of sub $100 folding kayaks for the family someday!
    Last edited by OneEye; 10-18-2012 at 03:19. Reason: url fix

Hammock
    DIY WBBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 Insultex
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
    Wow. I have a hammock and boat obsession too. Mine is even worse because I wil ONLY consider DIY of either. It's gotten to the point where my wife has offered to buy me a commercial kayak to get me off the DIY obsession!

Check out www.orukayak.com for an interesting take on a coroplast boat. I did an 8' long version suitable for my 8 & 10-year-old sons.
    My latest obsession is a DIY "Falco" folding kayak designed by Tom Yost. We're going to have an entire FLEET of sub $100 folding kayaks for the family someday!
    Slightly offtopic for the thread but I just had to comment on this. Has Tom released the Falco plans yet? I've been waiting as I plan on this to be my next SOF kayak project.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEye View Post

....yea, I have lots of plans this spring All I could find was the DIY skin on frame Falcos. That aside, I've discovered coroplast is some great, durable, light weight stuff (and you can build a trolling motor out a weed wacker ) My hammock obsession is evolving and I'll be able to get to even better places to hang, all with affordable DIY. Let people try to "bully" me, which I don't consider some teasing as bullying. I don't care, I'm out there having fun.

Hammock
    Gradn Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    10 x 12 sil-nylon
    Insulation
    foam,woobie,slpbag
    Suspension
    nylon straps

This is what you tell her...

Tell her that you are the man of the house. Tell her that if you want her opinion, you'll ASK for it. Tell her that you are entitled to your wants and likes.........Then gather your hammock, a tarp, some clothes and a week's worth of food and gear 'cause you'll be sleeping outside for about that long. A book would be nice, too..................Ross

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast