Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    And "I hike 'til I piss blood!" should be on a bumper sticker. I'd buy one.
    I'd buy one of those as well. Sounds like a great motto to me.

My wife is really supportive of the hammock camping. She gave me crap about it until she went out and tried it. Now she's a convert as well.
    "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." - Yoda

Hungry Hammock Hanger Website

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock/Bivi
    Tarp
    DD Tarp MC
    Insulation
    DD UQ / Thermarest
    Suspension
    T-hugger/whoopies
    My wife still thinks it's strange but understands better after her first try of my hammock (prior to which she'd only ever tried little mesh hammocks). We were staying at a cabin next to a loch with the kids and the hounds.

Me and the kids had hammocked out the first night. The following morning I persuaded my wife to try the hammock after I'd vacated it (the kids were still fast asleep). She clambered in and said "Oh, this is actually quite comfy...could you go get me my book then let me know when lunch is ready!"

Admittedly I do look at every tree & fence as a potential anchor point, spend ages in DIY stores staring at rope/slings and drawing up plans for hammock related projects ...there are much worse things I could be doing I suppose...

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle Asym XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 30DSy
    Suspension
    'Biners/rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Next time you're heading out, tell her you're looking forward to hiking with your girlfriend, who doesn't harass you about hiking and hanging.
    Here, here! When my wife makes the occasional disparaging comments about my hobbies, I remind her that the bills are paid, our savings accounts are funded, and I don't spend money on drugs or other women... but I'm willing to drop one of my current hobbies and start on one of those if she'd prefer.

Seriously, I'm coming up on two decades of marriage, and the silly stuff that happened when we were both young has mostly gone away. We both realize that we could have done worse... but most likely not better.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Being mocked for hobbies is no fun. My wife tends to either be supportive or roll her eyes (depending on the hobby - hammocking is an eye-roller). She's not rolling her eyes as much now that all three of my kids are begging for their own.

About all you can do is ignore it. If you clam up it won't be fun for them to tease you. What I don't get is, what does she gain from harassing you, and encouraging others to as well?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I came with a warning sticker on my forehead that disclosed my hammock addition/obsession. She knew what she was buying on that front and has nobody to blame but herself. Luckily, she was an easy sell on hammocks, once she tried them. Now, I have to replace hammocks for her because too many people (like 3) have been in them. Even with luck, there is always a price.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    When I tell my wife I'm going to hang in the woods, she says good, she can get some sleep.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH ultra lite or GT nano
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, WB top
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    i dont have a wife. but when the girlfriend gets tired of hearing about hammocks, I go get a new one. Ha lol, then i can tell all the same stories and show my gear off to someone who will at least pretend to be interested.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    If I am elected president, I will cut tents for everybody without increasing the deficit and make sure all hammock bullying is not right.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    What should I be telling her?
    Whatever she needs to hear . Back rubs, flowers, some sweet nothings whispered into her ears and cold hard cash won't hurt either.

Honestly, I've not been bullied. Most people are curious. My husband and family thought it was weird at first and at times still do (I am obsessed), but after trying to float on the Muskingum River on a homemade coroplast boat at a semi successful accomplishment, and then adding my son on it with me, they aren't thinking the hammock thing is too bad of a thing to do anymore.

....so you could always step it up a notch in a totally unlikely area, scare the crap out of everyone with your thought patterns, and then they will be thankful for the hammocking, or go back and refer to the first paragraph

True story. I'm thinking coroplast will make a decent hand glider too The possibilities are endless here. I'm keeping that one in my pocket for later when I need to remind the family that hammocking just makes good sense.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
    OK, seriously, if you've passed a kidney stone on the AT, you get to do whatever you want, when you want.

"Honey, why do you go on long hikes and sleep in a hammock?"

"Woman, I passed a kidney stone on the Appalachian Trail. As soon as you give birth on the PCT, we'll talk about my sleeping habits."
    True words, these...

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast