Hammock
    Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps

New Hammock Suggestions, Ideas, and or HELP. :)

I am new to Hammock hanging and have been reading in the forums for a while now, but I am no closer to knowing what way to go, so many options and ideas!

So the Stats; I am 6' 6" and need a hammock capable of holding 300 lbs. I want a bug net build in, and those pull out cords on the side of the hammock. Not sure what they are called, but anything to keep from rocking! I would also like the ability to use a pad for insulation, at least to start. Hammock weight is not a huge deal, I would like to keep the entire set up less then 3 lbs, maybe 4 lbs with a BIG tarp.

I live in the PNW (Western Washington) so the bug net and big tarp are critical issues.

I normally sleep on my side, but the one time I sleep in a hammock I was fine on my back. I was diagonal in the hammock and it seemed to work fine.

I am also open to a DIY hammock and adding parts to it as I have time and money. I can afford a decent setup for a hammock and tarp, but not a top and under quilt at this time.

Feel free to link me to other threads in the form or makers of hammocks, it seems that there is a LOT of "hidden" cottage makers and general information out there on the net.

Looking forward to your help,

Wolfman
    Last edited by Wolfman; 10-14-2012 at 09:54.

Wolfman, I'm 6'4" and have several hammocks I use for sleeping, I am also side sleeper, the wbbb,1.7 double worked well, then obtained a Wilderness Logic night owl and it is outstanding, no knee or calf issues and sweet spot was immediate, needs a separate bug net, then went to the Dangerbird and it is even better with the addition of having top cover and bug net built in and no obstruction of view. when no bug needed it's a toss up on DB or NO, both sleep great, I do like the head & foot knotty bungee adjustments the NO has, both are doubles so you can use a pad if desired, anyway I've got many hammocks, but the go to are those two, hope this helps, just my opinion, jim

Absolutely no question, go DIY. I bought a sewing machine 6 months ago because a customer showed me his super lightweight DIY hammock. I made a hammock from cheap $3.99/yd fabric at Hancock. I still use that first one. It is 10.5oz with two carabiners attached. I made mine like an ENO (same style, same length, but in between single and double width), and have loved it.

Making a hammock setup is great, but the best part is that it's awesome, easy practice for a GREAT skill: sewing! After I made that initial hammock, and about ten for friends, I decided to make a down TQ/UQ combo, a bug net, and tarp. They came out amazing. Since then, I've gone hog wild with the sewing machine. I've made a bunch of ultralight (0.8oz) down beanies for friends, ultralight down pants, a 2oz super-compressible daypack/summit pack, down booties/overbooties for camp, a Polartec Power Shield softshell jacket, chalk bag for climbing, and all kinds of other stuff.

My point is, when you can make your own gear, the sky is the limit. You can make whatever you want, fit it however you want, add whatever features you want, it's just awesome. If you like doing things yourself, you owe it to yourself to buy a sewing machine and start cranking out gear. To me, nothing is cooler than the fact that I was able to sit down one night and in 6 hours, I had made what is essentially an exact copy of an Arc'teryx Hyllus Hoody. Same fabric, same overall design, but with features that I chose, and a tailored fit. Then, there's always the fact that it only cost me about $50, versus the Arc'teryx price of $375. The final benefit of making gear is that you gain a whole new respect and understanding for gear that you already have. You begin to understand how stuff's made, and you will be able to fix/modify your own gear. Go DIY, learn to sew, make awesome gear!!!
    Last edited by Zolen; 10-17-2012 at 07:24.

Hammock
    Currently; WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp 12 x
    Insulation
    JRB TQ and BQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks for the reply's jrs and Zolen, I was hoping for some more hammock ideas but post drop off the first few pages fast here.

I have been thinking about DIY, but to be completely honest, I doubt it would eve get done! With work and family I don't have a lot of free time. Although I really like the Idea of making my own hammock, and other stuff. I thin for this first one I will probably but it. Otherwise I am going to end up sleeping on the ground all winter long waiting for myself to get the hammock finished!

I went to a hang several weeks ago and tried the "Count" red interior and black exterior, If my faulty memory is correct it was the Dangerbird. Papa Smurf??

I guess I should have takes notes and not been drinking beer all night.....
    One thing, it is fairly easy to get up and take care of business in the middle of the night in a hammock. The only issues I had was I got cold late in the night or early in the morning, and went back to my tent, I just did not have enough insulation under me.

Any one else have any suggestions for a Big Guy?

Wolf

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Double layer hammocks work better with pads since they hold the pad in place during the night. A double layer 1.1 oz would accomodate you without issue. Being 6'6" the length of the hammock will be more of an issue. I'm 6'2" and really like my 11' hammock, while 10' hammocks seem to be a bit short for me to find the sweet spot. Some vendors sell 11' hammocks like Wilderness Logics. If you buy one, don't hesitate to ask if they could make a longer hammock for you. You may even find that a 12' hammock is more comfortable.

A hammock is very easy to DIY. As simple as tying knot in each end with the appropriate suspension. Pretty fast as well. Using a full width 64ish" wide fabric you can get a way without hemming the edges. Make sure you use a hot knife to cut the ends to prevent fraying. Do this to get a hammock that fits you. Purchase bugnets and tarps if you need to. You dont have to DIY your whole setup unless you just want to.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    I am new to Hammock hanging and have been reading in the forums for a while now, but I am no closer to knowing what way to go, so many options and ideas!

So the Stats; I am 6' 6" and need a hammock capable of holding 300 lbs. I want a bug net build in, and those pull out cords on the side of the hammock. Not sure what they are called, but anything to keep from rocking! I would also like the ability to use a pad for insulation, at least to start. Hammock weight is not a huge deal, I would like to keep the entire set up less then 3 lbs, maybe 4 lbs with a BIG tarp.

I live in the PNW (Western Washington) so the bug net and big tarp are critical issues.

I normally sleep on my side, but the one time I sleep in a hammock I was fine on my back. I was diagonal in the hammock and it seemed to work fine.

I am also open to a DIY hammock and adding parts to it as I have time and money. I can afford a decent setup for a hammock and tarp, but not a top and under quilt at this time.

Feel free to link me to other threads in the form or makers of hammocks, it seems that there is a LOT of "hidden" cottage makers and general information out there on the net.

Looking forward to your help,

Wolfman
    Attending a group hang ( or dropping in for a visit) in your area is a great way to narrow down gear choices and meet some good people too. PS: I met Detail man at a group hang and he is a wizard DIY-er as are many others on HF!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    In bed i am a side sleeper , in the hammock a back sleeper, sometimes tho i do find myself propped up a lil on one side go figure,
    found for myself 6'2" and 330 lbs that the wbbb 1.7 dbl and the sw 1.9 dbl are great for me.. the thing with the switchback 1.9 (from tree to tree trail gear ) is that it has four tie outs and is heaveir but more sturdy then the wbbb..the rings and straps feel more secure and there is alot less rocking, alot! I am looking at the nite owl as my next purchase for those times without a bugnet and the weight of course..but as mentioned here papa smurf has the dangerbird which includes both bug and over cover he also has the roaming gnome with just the bugnet and wide variety ofmaterials and layers and colors to choose from..
    as far as tarps, I just got the superfly from warbonnet outdoors and had it at my first group hang and with the tie outs I had plenty of room to walk under it and in front of my sw 1.9 had room to change clothes and cook breakfast.. for the weight and the construction i think its hard to beat for the price..
    so hammocks
    warbonnet
    tree to tree trail gear
    wilderness logics
    dream hammocks
    gramd trunk skeeter beeter pro (forgot this one)
    and tarps are pretty much the same
    good luck!
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    I believe PapaSmurf of Dream Hammocks could custom size a Dangerbird for you also.

He's great to work with! I have a standard DB60 before Dream Hammocks was launched and LOVE it. Used it for a week this summer in Michigan at Boy Scout summer camp.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    A Hennessy Deep Jungle XL should work for you. Double layer, side tie outs, bug net included. I bleive if you order from Hennessy you can get the Hex tarp added for no extra cost.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images

My formula

With your height & weight for a built-in bug net the Danger Bird is a good choice. And def. get it in a double layer to hold not just your weight but also a pad. Even if you get an under quilt later it's always good to have the option to add a pad between those layers for more warmth if you need it. Think middle of the night unexpected temp drop.

Now on the other hand the Wilderness Logic's Night Owl is a good choice too. The bug net will be separate but how often do you really need one? I enjoy being free of it and not having to carry the extra weight & bulk when bugs are not present. In addition having the versatility to switch from a net to a hammock sock adds more warmth and most importantly is all encompassing wind protection top & bottom over your hammock & insulation, keeping the heat in more. It's held high by a hammock ridge line over your face. I own 2 types, a Molly Mac Sock-W-Seep and a Warbonnet Travel Sock which I added LDC Travel Extenders to to fit my 11" hammock.

But the best suggestion already made is getting to a group hang to check out rigs. It's is the best way to test & see these things for yourself.
    Good Luck!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

• + New Posts