Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Custom sleeping bags?

Anybody know if there is somebody who makes custom sleeping bags?

I know sleeping bags are not very popular among hammock users, but I tried a top quilt and it's simply not the right choice for me. At the moment I'm extremely happy with my WM Alder, but it is quite big for my size. WM only offers this bag in big and bigger. Apart from the length (= added weight and bulk), I find it the perfect bag with regards to warmth and cut. I had a look at Nunatak, but they only offer mummy-style sleeping bags or blankets.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    feathered friends will do custom work, wiggys will do custom. Or you can contact one our esteemed cottage companies found here and for those who make sewn in footboxes on the top quilts, they could probably do a full bag. Anything can be done for the right price. But I bet you need to use a cottage company. The big boys probably won't want to mess up production lines for a custom order.
    Last edited by Big Papi; 01-04-2011 at 14:53. Reason: added info

Tim marshall over at BPL.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Wonder if it wouldn't work out better to have an existing SB modified. My Browning Kenai -30 bag is way oversize, at 6'-3" I normally order a "long" but this thing would be long on Yao Ming! I've thought about asking someone to shorten it, I think with all the extra length there's just too much dead air down by the foot end.

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My name was mentioned so i just wanted to jump in and say that i couldn't do this right now, sorry.

-Tim

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    Wonder if it wouldn't work out better to have an existing SB modified. My Browning Kenai -30 bag is way oversize, at 6'-3" I normally order a "long" but this thing would be long on Yao Ming! I've thought about asking someone to shorten it, I think with all the extra length there's just too much dead air down by the foot end.
    That's not a bad idea. But it's probably just as difficult to find somebody to alter my WM bag as it is to find somebody to make me one, right?

I had a look at the sleeping bag makers mentioned here; I'm a bit surprised that pretty much all their bags with comparable shape and warmth weigh a lot more than the WM bags. My bag is for 25°F, 6'0" and weighs 880g. Wiggy's Hunter Ultralight is for 20°F and weighs 1.850g. Feathered Friends' Penguin is also for 20°F and weighs 1.248g. How does Western Mountaineering achieve this weight saving?? Or does the difference of 5°F simply mean that much extra weight?

By the way: I'm not in a hurry to get a new bag. For the moment, the Alder serves me fine. But if there were a better solution out there, it would be good to know, considering the wait times for custom work.
    Last edited by hutzelbein; 01-04-2011 at 19:07. Reason: spelling mistake

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I guess it depends. I'm thinking I could take my sleeping bag to a local seamstress, say "could you cut six inches length out of the footbox and sew the thing back together" and if she had the equipment, why not? OTOH if I went to our local seamstress and said "make me a sleeping bag" I'd get a blank stare back. Suppose it depends what you want to do. BTW, WM seems like top-shelf stuff to me, up with high-end Marmot and the like. It's just better than some of the other brands.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Unless you know that your local seamstress is able to do work like this, I would not recommend letting her cut up your sleeping bag My experiences with this type of service are, that misunderstandings and errors happen very easily. I'd rather have a fully functional, slightly oversized sleeping bag than a mess that I cannot use anymore. I also suspect that it's not just a matter of cutting excess material and sewing the bag back together. In my case, the zipper would need to be exchanged as well (I think it's not possible to simply cut zippers).

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I don't know... my old work gave us employees a bunch of uniform stuff to wear which included a pull-over hoody. I hate pullovers, so I gave it to my local seamstress with instructions to cut it down the middle and add a zipper. Came out great, she even came up with a color-matched zipper for me.

A lot of mummy style sleeping bags only zip down about 3/4 of the way, the rest of the bag is a footbox with no zipper. I can't think why somebody couldn't cut a six-inch section out of it, all the way around, and sew the "cap" back on.

If a SB had a full zipper I wouldn't mess with it either.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Unless you know that your local seamstress is able to do work like this, I would not recommend letting her cut up your sleeping bag My experiences with this type of service are, that misunderstandings and errors happen very easily. I'd rather have a fully functional, slightly oversized sleeping bag than a mess that I cannot use anymore. I also suspect that it's not just a matter of cutting excess material and sewing the bag back together. In my case, the zipper would need to be exchanged as well (I think it's not possible to simply cut zippers).

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    another person who may be able to pull it off is javan dempsey. i know he's over at bpl too

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast