Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I know I sound like a broken record as I've stated this before! My best friend was attacked by a raccoon! Bitten to the bone on her elbow!
    She & her son were sitting around a camp fire outside the cabin where they were staying in a state park! The raccoon was habituated to humans & kept coming closer & closer. She was sitting on the ground & when it got too close she waved a stick at it and it bit her arm! Fortunately it was not rabid just mean!
    Don't take them for granted ! They can be very aggressive!

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

Never Take a stick

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    I know I sound like a broken record as I've stated this before! My best friend was attacked by a raccoon! Bitten to the bone on her elbow!
    She & her son were sitting around a camp fire outside the cabin where they were staying in a state park! The raccoon was habituated to humans & kept coming closer & closer. She was sitting on the ground & when it got too close she waved a stick at it and it bit her arm! Fortunately it was not rabid just mean!
    Don't take them for granted ! They can be very aggressive!
    Never take a stick to a fang fight!

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Umkay, followup to the story.

I did a bunch of grilling Mon night. After cooking up a large pile of chicken, I scraped down the grill to get ready for the next batch of meat. In the approximately 45 seconds it took me to bring in the chicken and then bring out the meat, the raccoon appeared and was chomping happily on a piece of burned chicken that I had flicked off the grill and onto the ground. I think the raccoon was just hanging out nearby while I was cooking, just waiting for an opportunity to grab something.

I understand... The chicken was really tasty.

Anyway, I tried to shoo him away, without much success. I then grabbed a couple spatulas and started yelling and clanging them together over my head. He looked at me like I was a lunatic (which in hindsight was probably and accurate assessment), then slunk off into the night.

Did a quick check around the house last night looking for raccoon sized holes anywhere near, on, in the house. Nothing found.

I may need to look for some raccoon recipes!

Bruce

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Once they start getting food they tend to stay around. I shot about 6-8 in one night. I got tired of my dog barking at them all night. BBQ ratcoon, not sour about that.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'd posted this a good while ago in another thread, but it was worth re-posting here:

A couple of years ago my family and I were camping out at a place near Colombia, MO. Two tents (one for the wife and I, other for the kids), with my dog in my kid's tent and my brother's dog running patrol around it.

NO FOOD EVER ALLOWED NEAR THE TENTS...EVER!

I wake up at 4am with a raccoon scratching at the netting window inches from my face!!!!!!! When I looked at him, he started this hideous screeching...and still kept trying to get in!!!

I did what any red-blooded man could do...I screamed like a little girl and punched him through the tent wall!!!!

Between my brother's dog and myself we were able to deal with said psycho raccoon...eventually.

We now refer to this episode as "The Battle of Broken Raccoon".

When I first woke with that thing scratching at the tent by my face...I could have sworn he was 6'4", 300lbs, and wearing a football jersey (defense, of course!).

Scared the heck outta me!!!

Trust me...the little guys are up to NO GOOD!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123