Inside Hanging Questions

Hey, I want to replace my girlfriend and i's bed wih a hammock. Together we weigh about 450. I have a room that is 13 feet long and 9 feet wide. Ive seen quite a lot of time trying to get an idea of what ill need and how much it costs. But I haven't found much. I saw an idea of reddit.com/r/hammocks about using 4x4s on the walls in an upside down v, and then putting a 2x4 across the ceiling and putting eyehooks in the 4x4s. Is that safe? I haven't seen any pictures for it.

How can I hang a hammock in my room safely, without getting my security deposit taken away? Also, what do you guys think would be a safe size for the hammock? And how sk I hang it? Unfortunately money is a huge factor here, so I would like to make most of the stuff myself.

My girlfriend has terrible back and neck pain, and we both don't sleep very well night after night. I figured we could try hanging to help relieve those issues. Thoughts?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Check out the Turtlelady Stand
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27777
    or the TurtleDog Stand
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=51787

You won't be able to hang in the same hammock but you both will be able to get a good nights sleep.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

The only problem I foresee with your stand is space. I don't know how much room a double hammock will take up when hung, but stretched out its 14 feet. So I would imagine that it would be around 12 feet when hung, and the third leg of the turtledog stand would extend through my wall on both sides. That, and the third leg is unneeded because the walls can support the stand. I think I'm gonna try the 4x4s against the wall with a cross ceiling brace. Is this a good idea? And we are going to try in th same hammock. If it doesn't work out then ill only sleep in the hammock when she isn't home.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    We use the ceiling rafters as anchor points and have been for 4.5 years now. In lieu of doing that, yes the cross ceiling brace is paramount to deal with the compressive forces.

Glad to see you thinking right about the actual length of the hammock when hung. A lot of people do their 'math' based on the 14'.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Also, if you're doing it for the benefit of your girlfriend's back, you may want to let her sleep solo in the hammock for a while. Two people in one hammock is not the same experience as a single person. At least, not for an entire night's sleep. I switched to hammocks because of my back too. Two people in one hammock is not going to provide her the same benefit. It's rare that my lady and I sleep together for more than 2 nights in a row. Course, it's also rare that we sleep more than 2 nights apart. But, that window of solo sleeping does feel better on my back. Just something to keep in mind.

Have you two slept together in a hammock yet? Might want to try that first before making big plans. My girl and I happen to like it, but we are in the minority.
    Trust nobody!

No, that's another reason why I don't want to invest too much money. We don't know if we are going yo like it.

My room is 10' x 11', so I ordered this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

It has the adjustable hooks on the sides for the bigger hammocks. I'm also new to the hammock world and am replacing my back-breaking mattress with my new Mayan hammock as soon as this stand hits my doorstep.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Once I get the wife convinced to let me put up a permanent hammock in the bedroom this is the method I will use. For one, i won't have to put any holes in my walls. And of course there will be no back breaker (cross bar on the floor under the hammock) to trip over in the middle of the night.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    See Packeagles' post (#12) in this thread

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=61129

It's the solution I'm using to my hanging problem - a very small bedroom in a century old house with questionable framing of newer inside walls. To add to the problem, it's a rental where I was really, really loath to make a mess of the walls or the ceiling since I have one of the bestest landlords ever!!

I'll be making the frame from 4 x 4 uprights and 2x4 for the cross beams. It could easily be adapted for whatever size of room you have and with extra supports either work for a double hammock or two singles.
    Last edited by The Old Boot; 10-21-2012 at 08:24. Reason: forgot the link..duh!

• + New Posts