Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeSuperior777 View Post
    Drops that come off aren't anywhere near as fine as the mist that comes though. I have been under my tarp with condenstion on underside of tarp in light to moderate rain and never had the misting effects. Only get it in hard rain, so unless the harder rain is causing the perfect vibrations that less rains dont create, it must be water being forced through the tarp which is known downside to silnylon. I am sure the quality of the coating has a effect on reducing misting.
    i don't know about different vibrations, but a large raindrop has alot more force behind it than light rain does, and i certainly wouldn't expect light rain to be knocking condensation loose...it takes some degree of force to do that and it takes heavier rain to create that force. the same argument could be made for misting as well.

i can tell you that silnylon with an adequate coating will not mist "at all"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I thought this was the major benefit adding Silicone to nylon, to give better waterproofness. What's this misting I keep reading about, is silnylon not as waterproof as they make us believe?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl.
    Tarp
    HF 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    How do we really know if rain is really misting through the fabric, or if the vibration of rain hitting the topside is knocking condensation off the bottom side?

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Dear misting deniers,

Those of us who've experienced misting know that it's not condensation being knocked off the inside of the tarp. In my case, in an etowah tarp, it lasted for over an hour during a torrential downpour. Do you really think it is possible that the tarp had that much condensation? I don't.

I suspect it has to do with the quality of the sill.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have not had any misting with my cuben tarp. Did have it a wee bit with silnylon but not enough to bother me or wet me. Part of the back-woods life and trying to go lighter I reckon. Tarps are a way of life.
    Shug Tarpo
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    How do we really know if rain is really misting through the fabric, or if the vibration of rain hitting the topside is knocking condensation off the bottom side?
    you can hold the fabric tight about an inch from the showerhead, if you see mist physically coming right through the fabric, then your tarp mists, if it holds up to that without misting, it won't mist in a rainstorm either

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    Dear misting deniers,

Those of us who've experienced misting know that it's not condensation being knocked off the inside of the tarp. In my case, in an etowah tarp, it lasted for over an hour during a torrential downpour. Do you really think it is possible that the tarp had that much condensation? I don't.

I suspect it has to do with the quality of the sill.
    i just re-read this thread and i don't think anybody implied that misting is a myth or anything of the sort, i also don't think anybody is trying to tell you that your particular tarp wan't misting. if your tarp IS misting it most certainly is the quality of the coating.

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    you can hold the fabric tight about an inch from the showerhead, if you see mist physically coming right through the fabric, then your tarp mists, if it holds up to that without misting, it won't mist in a rainstorm either
    For how long? My tarp didn't mist until it was out for a day and a half. The tarp then became "soaked", giving it that sticky feel. I believe it was then that the misting began.

Wow, such a "mist"ery

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodaking View Post
    For how long? My tarp didn't mist until it was out for a day and a half. The tarp then became "soaked", giving it that sticky feel. I believe it was then that the misting began.

Wow, such a "mist"ery
    Truly awful!!! You deserve a leaky tarp for that one

It sounds like your tarp eventually absorbed water which suggests it wasn't fully impregnated. The nylon fibres would wick water into the fabric of the tarp if they weren't fully saturated with silicone during the waterproofing process. Did you manage to get it sorted?

Atb

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i just re-read this thread and i don't think anybody implied that misting is a myth or anything of the sort, i also don't think anybody is trying to tell you that your particular tarp wan't misting. if your tarp IS misting it most certainly is the quality of the coating.
    I am sure that is true, my new UGQ tarp had no misting through 12hrs of rain. My problems with misting came under a 3 year old tarp tent which only developed problems after year 2 of use.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast