WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    our silnylon is waterproof to 2000mm which is more than enough to avoid actual misting.

like others have said about condensation... hanging close to the top of the tarp, possibly having the doors closed when they should be somewhat open (depends on how windy it is) along with high humidity and cold temps all probably played a part in having condensation. in general you want the doors open some to allow venting unless it's very windy.
    I agree with Brandon, I really don't think it was moisture coming through the tarp. I've had it out in plenty of the UK's finest rain this summer ( we've had a lot) for a few hours at a time, without anything coming through. I'm convinced it was condensation. If it was misting, the inside of the tarp would be equally wet all over but this wasn't the case. I agree that it was probably the doors being closed, the lack of any wind, the saturated ground and the temps that all played a part in more condensation being formed than normal.

What leaves me a little confused though is why this happens more with sil than other tarp fabrics. I'm convincing myself that the taughtness of the pitch and the bounce of sil increases the likelihood of condensation being bounced of the inside under heavy rain conditions. Cuben and PU fabrics may have very different properties. Perhaps I should get a Cuben tarp too.... For scientific purposes only.

I have noted misting under a tarp only when it is really pouring down hard. Given the way the water is atomized, only way I can see that happening is if it's being forced through the fibers. If it was condensate being knocked loose I expect much larger drops.

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeSuperior777 View Post
    I have noted misting under a tarp only when it is really pouring down hard. Given the way the water is atomized, only way I can see that happening is if it's being forced through the fibers. If it was condensate being knocked loose I expect much larger drops.
    Well if you can imagine, condensation forms in little droplets, like the outside of a glass of cold water, before they grow to form big drops. It then makes sense if a big rain drop hits the tarp and causes these small droplets to "spray" causing mist. I may be totally wrong but hopefully it doesn't happen again

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    When I first got my OES Maccat deluxe, I posted a similar question. The first time I tried it was in my backyard during a brief shower. I had just gotten in, not even 2 minutes later, I felt little "flicks" of water hitting my face. It seemed far too soon to get condensation, so I assumed it was misting. I was worried what would happen with a lot of exposure, but decided to just live with it.

This summer, I spent several days in the BWCA with the same tarp. One night, we got hammered with rain for 11 hours. A couple of the hours were the hardest wind and rain I have ever been in, much less spent the night outside in. Not a drop hit me the whole week. No flicking or misting or condensation. It worked perfectly.

I don't have a real answer, just a guess. I have a continuous ridgeline under my tarp. Maybe the brand new ridgeline was slick and non-absorbent. Any little water ran down and collected on the line. The percussive effect of the rain made it "flick" off and hit my face. After I had broken in the tarp ridgeline, it became less slick and didn't conduct the water down, in effect acting as its own drip line. Is that a crazy idea? It seems to fit the facts. After the summer trip, I have no worries at all taking it on any trip. If that didn't get me wet, nothing will. Thoughts?

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape

Misting deniers, bah! Misting is real!!!

I've experienced misting EXACTLY like this in PRECISELY these circumstances. If it hasn't happened to you, great, but talk not of what thou hast not seen.. seeneth... oh, never mind!
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl.
    Tarp
    HF 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well FWIW, I have a HG 4 season cuben tarp, and a couple weeks ago I slept outside in a driving straight down rain. I noticed an occasional droplet hitting my face, and I'm convinced it was the force of the rain bumping off condensation from the underside of the tarp.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    I've experienced misting EXACTLY like this in PRECISELY these circumstances. If it hasn't happened to you, great, but talk not of what thou hast not seen.. seeneth... oh, never mind!
    i don't think anyone is saying misting is a myth. some fabrics don't have as good a coating as others, and there's alot of sil out there that does indeed mist. i've personally seen sil with as little as 800mm water column of resistence that mists badly, but you're not gonna get misting with more waterproof versions (1500mm water column or higher perhaps). Just because water falls off the underside of the tarp doesn't mean it's passing through the material. condensation can and will happen with any waterproof/coated fabric in the right conditions (conditions which are often common). if you want to know weather or not your fabric mists, pull the fabric taut and hold it an inch from the shower head. if it's misting you'll be able to easily see mist being forced through the weave of the fabric. some silnylon mists, some doesn't, it all boils down to the quality of the silicone coating

Images
    If it was condensate being knocked loose I expect much larger drops.
    i wouldn't...if it was larger drops of water, it would have run down the tarp towards the ground already, it's the dew-like condensation that clings to the fabric, and when a heavy rain drop hits the outside and knocks it loose it will be dew-sized dropletts going airborne. ever shake a wet tarp vigorusly? tiny dropletts go everywhere

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Well FWIW, I have a HG 4 season cuben tarp, and a couple weeks ago I slept outside in a driving straight down rain. I noticed an occasional droplet hitting my face, and I'm convinced it was the force of the rain bumping off condensation from the underside of the tarp.
    Thanks Deacon, I was sure it must happen to tarps other than those made from sil.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i wouldn't...if it was larger drops of water, it would have run down the tarp towards the ground already, it's the dew-like condensation that clings to the fabric, and when a heavy rain drop hits the outside and knocks it loose it will be dew-sized dropletts going airborne. ever shake a wet tarp vigorusly? tiny dropletts go everywhere
    Drops that come off aren't anywhere near as fine as the mist that comes though. I have been under my tarp with condenstion on underside of tarp in light to moderate rain and never had the misting effects. Only get it in hard rain, so unless the harder rain is causing the perfect vibrations that less rains dont create, it must be water being forced through the tarp which is known downside to silnylon. I am sure the quality of the coating has a effect on reducing misting.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast