Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I am pretty happy with the outcome, and my daughter told me that I need to build another, for ME
    Awesome job on the stand! In reference to making another one, we’re in the same boat, everyone who sits in the chair seems to say the same thing?? I had every intention of building a second stand last Saturday but the wood for it became “framing lumber” when my Wife spontaneously decided she wanted to renovate the Fireplace and surrounding wall before the holidays! It’s amazing how quickly the statement “We should paint…” turns into dropping a grand at Home Depot. When I started the reno, I said “fine but you’re not getting time in the chair until I get around to making that second one”, she gave me three guesses what I’m not getting…. & the battle of the Winter Recliner rages on!
    Last edited by [o]TTeR; 11-12-2012 at 14:22.
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    ENO DN w/Whoopies
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" Whoopies
    Wanted to add mine to the collection. I spent more on the 2 brackets than I did the lumber... I shopped the "Cull Cart" and got all but one of the pieces I needed for less than the cost of a full 2x4-8. Took me roughly 2 hours to complete it this afternoon. I attached my tablecloth hammock with a 1.5" steel ring slid down one side to double it over and used 550 paracord (as well as 1" webstraps for safety).

Turned out well, and I am a happy hammocker

As a side note, I think that if I had made it 1 foot longer it would have been even more comfortable/ more reclined..

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I have got to have one of these! If nothing else it will give me a reason to get out of my hammock in the morning. Then I could sit in the hammock recliner until time to get back in the hammock again.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    I have got to have one of these! If nothing else it will give me a reason to get out of my hammock in the morning. Then I could sit in the hammock recliner until time to get back in the hammock again.
    There's a thinkin' man.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mag View Post
    Wanted to add mine to the collection. I spent more on the 2 brackets than I did the lumber... I shopped the "Cull Cart" and got all but one of the pieces I needed for less than the cost of a full 2x4-8. Took me roughly 2 hours to complete it this afternoon. I attached my tablecloth hammock with a 1.5" steel ring slid down one side to double it over and used 550 paracord (as well as 1" webstraps for safety).

Turned out well, and I am a happy hammocker

As a side note, I think that if I had made it 1 foot longer it would have been even more comfortable/ more reclined..
    Great Job Mag! When I published the plans I wondered if anyone would make use of them, since all of the stands look structurally identical, I assume the doc came in handy, any suggestions for improvement??

Now that the Fireplace Renovation is done…Wife=Happy…mischief managed, I can get back to my DIY list! Knocking out another Snow Beast UQ today for a trip this weekend and should be getting to another WR-II next week...There is no traditional/conventional furniture in my vision of a perfect world!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    ENO DN w/Whoopies
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" Whoopies
    For my height, 6 foot, to get more recline, I think I'm going to add a foot or 18". I'm just going to pull the front post and add another "H" of 2x4's made the same way yours was made.

The "blueprint" was useful for an overview, but I just went down your instructions. The only thing I'd change, would be where you bolt the base together. Instead of doing a center point and 14" out from it, I'd change it to 16" from the sides.

Also, for the leg bases, 44cm from top and sides will give you a center from the ends. Centimeters are easier to divide for me :-)

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Hey Otter, 2 things.
    1, where the end or feet of the stand are bolted, the four bolts should be 3" apart, so they are center in the 2x4s. Or 1 1/2" measured from the center of the base.

2. A way to make it a little more transportable. Would be nice to be able to take it with me on car trips. It's just to big, or rather odd shaped. I am trying to think of an easy way to make it so it can be taken apart. I haven't really came up with anything, yet.

I think a shorter hammock seems like it would work better. Mine seems to hang low, a longer base would also help. Either or, I may try one of my ENO hammocks and see it it works better. But otherwise, me and my daughter love it.

Again, thanks for the plans.........RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Do you use a standard sized hammock on this stand? I thought it would be a smaller/shorter length.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/Whoopies
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" Whoopies
    Mine is 123" but folded in half using the steel ring as the support/folder of the front of the hammock. If you look real close, you can see it in my picture above.

I work at home depot, was looking at water heater blankets, and was thinking to myself: "I wonder if I could use it as an under quilt. It's tyvek in two sides with insulation between.... "

Hmmmmm. Probably not the best place to ask, but one water heater blanket could easily do two winter recliners.

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Talking So comfy

Got mine built yesterday and it is comfy. Thanks for the detailed plans [O]tter they made the build nice and easy.

As for hammock length, I have my GTUL on it now and it is working fine though I did have to put the rear on the bottom hole. The Grand Trunk is a shorter hammock, like 9ft I think. may have to try it with my longer DIY.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast