WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I started out on a DD hammock. I can add this:

- indeed, the distance is not (very) important, as long as yuo get the right "tension". You develop a feel for it after a while, even if you don't have the ridgeline. I used the DD with its webbing suspension, so I had to have that "feel" pretty quickly, since re-adjusting was a bit of a chore.. This will also deal with the ridgeline need - get a feel for how to hang, and you won't need the line. I also used snakeskins, and found it easy after a while to gauge the tension while the hammock was in the skins. Once you've tied it up to the trees, take a couple of steps back and look at how the boa constrictor hangs between the trees.

- the DD hammock benefits IMHO of hanging somewhat tighter than e.g. my wbbb. The 30 degrees is a benchmark, but I usually had it way tighter than that. Your hang may vary.

- the not level hang is preferred by some, keeping your head lower. I always strived for a level hang, and that is another thing you'll get a "feel" for.

- the tarp thing sounds a bit weird. Anyway it should be resolved once you start hanging with trees further apart! I use the same tarp, and I like it because I can hang it a lot higher and have coverage and headroom at the same time. I hang it independently from the hammock, meaning I don't take the hammock suspension position into regard. I also used a line underneath the tarp, which I attached the bugnet cords to.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Where do you live Dan? I'm sure if there is a hanger in the area a meet and greet would.be good. I'm north of Denver if your in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    I started out on a DD hammock. I can add this:

- indeed, the distance is not (very) important, as long as yuo get the right "tension". You develop a feel for it after a while, even if you don't have the ridgeline. I used the DD with its webbing suspension, so I had to have that "feel" pretty quickly, since re-adjusting was a bit of a chore.. This will also deal with the ridgeline need - get a feel for how to hang, and you won't need the line. I also used snakeskins, and found it easy after a while to gauge the tension while the hammock was in the skins. Once you've tied it up to the trees, take a couple of steps back and look at how the boa constrictor hangs between the trees.

- the DD hammock benefits IMHO of hanging somewhat tighter than e.g. my wbbb. The 30 degrees is a benchmark, but I usually had it way tighter than that. Your hang may vary.

- the not level hang is preferred by some, keeping your head lower. I always strived for a level hang, and that is another thing you'll get a "feel" for.

- the tarp thing sounds a bit weird. Anyway it should be resolved once you start hanging with trees further apart! I use the same tarp, and I like it because I can hang it a lot higher and have coverage and headroom at the same time. I hang it independently from the hammock, meaning I don't take the hammock suspension position into regard. I also used a line underneath the tarp, which I attached the bugnet cords to.
    Thanks for that. I know DD recommend a really tight hang with these hammocks but I've yet to try that. Most people on here (even in the DD forum) prefer some sag in their hang and I've heard rumours that you can get a great lay with a really extreme sag; so I need to do more experimenting!

I use one skin for the tarp and one for the hammock, so I can hang them separately. I like the idea of learning to get the sag right before I even remove the skin! =D)

I currently have the tarp line running through the loops over the top of the tarp. If I can't get a ridge line going on the hammock, then I'll do the same as you and move the tarp line to underneath and prussik the bugnet to it. If I do that, I'll probably just put the tarp and the hammock in the skins at once, which may well work out easier (but, like you, I enjoy the headroom when it's separate.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    Where do you live Dan? I'm sure if there is a hanger in the area a meet and greet would.be good. I'm north of Denver if your in the area.
    Sorry fella, I live in the UK - there don't seem to be enough of us on here to a local meet and greet though!

Hammock
    UKHammocks Woodsmanx
    Tarp
    hilleberg tarp10ul
    Insulation
    Pad and Down Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I am in Dumfries and Galloway and we are going to organise a hang relatively soon drop me a message and I will let you know when you are most welcome to join us!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DanRomani View Post
    Thanks for that. I know DD recommend a really tight hang with these hammocks but I've yet to try that. Most people on here (even in the DD forum) prefer some sag in their hang and I've heard rumours that you can get a great lay with a really extreme sag; so I need to do more experimenting!

I use one skin for the tarp and one for the hammock, so I can hang them separately. I like the idea of learning to get the sag right before I even remove the skin! =D)

I currently have the tarp line running through the loops over the top of the tarp. If I can't get a ridge line going on the hammock, then I'll do the same as you and move the tarp line to underneath and prussik the bugnet to it. If I do that, I'll probably just put the tarp and the hammock in the skins at once, which may well work out easier (but, like you, I enjoy the headroom when it's separate.

Dan
    Yes, I would maybe not hang it as tight as DD recommends, some sag is good. But for me it worked to have it tighter than most people recommend on here (mind you with the wbbb, a good sag is necessary). Experimentation is the mother of all confusion!

I also used to have the line runnning all the way through the loops over the tarp, and ran a separate line underneath for the bugnet and hanging gear off of. When you tighten the tarp up, the middle loop on top isn't engaged, so I decided to lose the middle part of the line and just have a line at each end with prussik (or klemheist) loops connecting the tarp loops to the lines. That way, I just tie the lines to the trees not worrying about how tight it is, and tighten the tarp up with the prussiks.

I would avoid using the same skin for the tarp and hammock - if it's a rainy night, no matter how dry your hammock is it'll get soaked if co-located with a wet tarp in skins. Makes for a bad second night..

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I do most of my camping in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, where I'm only allowed to stay in designated campsites. Therefore; I've been forced to use trees that are too close to be optimal. In those instances I've had to wrap part of my 13' diamond tarp partially around the tree trunk, in order to get it taut. Not pretty but it kept me dry and that's what counts the most.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Thanks guys,

I'm going to be doing some more test hangs this weekend, so thanks for all the advice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12