Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby

Cool Close encounter tonight

So, I recently purchased an under quilt. Before using it in the field, I decided to do some backyard testing this weekend. Temps here overnight have been in the 30s...frost in the mornings...perfect time to test! So, I got the hammock and UQ set up and then chillaxed for a bit watching a show on the iPad. I'm snug and comfy in the hammock when I feel something moving around me. Can't quite place WHERE the movement is coming from or if it's just the trees swaying in the breeze. I look around up in the trees, but don't see anything. I then start looking down and around by the trees and I see something out of the corner of my eye..lit's immediately below and to the back of me and moves when my headlamp beam moves close. I can't make out what it is, but I'm definitely concerned.

I re-position so I can see what it is: it's a raccoon! The raccoon was probably less than a foot from my face as I am turning to look down and behind me, and it's just sitting there looking at me with a curious expression. It's not appearing scared at all. I then notice the elastic cord from the UQ is sort of still bouncing and moving along the groundl I think the raccoon was playing with it while I was in the hammock. The thing wasn't running from me, it seemed very used to people.

Since I was expecting that the raccoon would keep playing with the cords unless I wrapped them up (and I didn't really want to deal with an unwanted visitor overnight), I bailed on the overnight test.

Good lesson: pay attention to loose cord/lines to avoid close encounters overnight!

Bruce

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Too funny! I'm about to head out and sleep with the raccoons myself.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    GTUL or Tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    Kelty 9' footprint
    Insulation
    Pad + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    I've found on one or two occasions that a nice strobe in the face encourages them to give you some distance if you've got a good flashlight. I know it sounds cruel, but I prefer it to throwing things at them.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I tend to hang a little low and had a similar thing happen last spring with an armadillo. Something poked me between the shoulder blades! Rolled over and lite him up and he was just sitting up looking at me.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Animals seem as curious about hammocks as we are. Guess it just proves that nature prefers the hammocks to tents.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I've had raccoons crawl on my tarp in the past. So far, they haven't damaged any of my gear with their claws, but I worry about it.

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

Raccon

We had a Raccoon that was raiding camp one night. Messed with one of the girls tents - of course she shouted the "Get Away" that woke up everybody up and we chased it out of camp.

After the third repeat we decided to put some bacon on a log about 20 meters outside of camp - with a liberal amount of hot sauce sprinkled on top.

The Raccoon was not heard from again that night.

The next year we talked with the park Ranger about it. That Raccoon had become a pest at that location and it was trapped and relocated a few months after our encounter.

Maybe Rocky got hooked on the hot sauce.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    I've limited my backyard trips due to the five (yes five) cats my wife and I resqued last year after a major storm. I have visions of them climbing my tarp and shreading my UQ.

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    HG UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    I've limited my backyard trips due to the five (yes five) cats my wife and I resqued last year after a major storm. I have visions of them climbing my tarp and shreading my UQ.
    Just put the cats in the hammock with you. Should keep you nice and toasty.

--louis

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Btw: what a cool forum! I knew y'all would appreciate this story.

There's no way I could share this story with non-hammock people without first getting the questions..."Wait...you mean that you set up a hammock to sleep in, in your back yard, at night, when you have a perfectly comfortable and warm bed inside?", followed by incredulous looks.

Bruce

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast