Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images

DIY Full-Length Underquilt: Step by Step

Intro: I am starting a DIY underquilt. I know there are many threads about this on the forums, and videos abound, but somehow they don't seem comprehensive to me. So, forgive me if another thread seems redundant, but I hope to create a thorough guide, start to finish. I hope you'll help me along, every step of the way.

Goal: Production of two down underquilts--one for me and another for my son--full length and able to provide comfort down to 20 degrees.

Tools: Google Sketchup for planning and design, photos and possibly video for documentation/feedback, and an old Singer sewing machine. I have done some sewing in the past and consider myself competent but a novice.

Planning: Having done some research, I have put together what is essentially a 3D pattern in sketchup. I have exported it as a photo but the 600 pixel limit in the HF gallery makes it not very useful. So I have attached the higher res for easier reading. (Let me know if there is a better way to do this.)

I have designed the UQ for 48" x 78" finished dimensions, with 2 1/2" baffles and 1 1/2" seam allowance. Inner layer is 40" finished width so I have made four 2" darts in the outer layer so that my material widths on the end seam will match. Not sure yet about suspension and how to add that to my plan but, at the moment, I am thinking that I'll have grommets or loops at corners and middle of long seam, with lines going up to attach to my ridgeline.

My next stage will be a discussion of materials but I'd love to get some feedback on my plan first. I expect to expand and modify my plan before moving on to the materials stage.

Thanks for your patience, encouragement and suggestions.

UPDATE: Revised design--new drawings appear further down in thread. The drawing attached here has been changed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hammock_monk; 10-15-2012 at 23:52. Reason: Update

• + New Posts