Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

North Alabama - Cheaha Wilderness Area

This weekend, Tight-Wad and I enjoyed a couple of days at the Turnipseed Campground in the Cheaha Wilderness area. This is located in the Talladega National Forest. We have had several "Heart of Dixie" hangs at this site, great place and centrally located to several good trails. We did a day hike up the Chinnabee Silent Trail, crossed the Pinhoti trail, and went over to the Odum Scout Trail. Tight-Wad went a little further, to the Nubbin Creek Trail and then back over to the Pinhoti and down to camp. I was worn out and nursing a sore ankle, so turned back after a little ways down the Odum and headed back to camp. After 1000' of elevation gain in the first 3 miles, my out of shape body and legs were ready to make it back to camp.

All in all it was a great weekend, and we even got to watch the Search and Rescue team look for a family that got lost on the Pinhoti Saturday night. Gave us something to discuss while sitting around the fire.

Enjoy another one of my corny videos...hope to get another hang together sometime the first of the year so we can meet some of the other hangers in the area.

Last edited by aboyd; 10-14-2012 at 16:01.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    loved cheaha and i dig mumford & sons, good post
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Great video of my home state. While I have lived many places from Arizona to Saudi Arabia, my heart is in Alabama. One day I'll get back there and discover all the things I never saw, like the Pinhoti Trail and Cheaha Wilderness Area.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    So that's what took you so long to make it to the top of the mountain!

Not much quantity at the hang, but the quality was EXCELLENT!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    So that's what took you so long to make it to the top of the mountain!

Not much quantity at the hang, but the quality was EXCELLENT!
    Nope, it was my out of shape body...The pics and video I did were just distractions while I stopped to catch my breath
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Looked like a nice one with some good music too! Thanks for sharing.

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Tablecloth DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ- 32F
    Suspension
    m'spike hitch, web

Cheaha Turnipseed

Sorry I missed this one. I had elder training at the church on Saturday and my hiking bud bailed on me. Catch you next time. I won't get another chance to hang until end of November.
    --he who knows the great enthusiasms.
    -T. Roosevelt

Great vid! I was at the Cheaha state park with some friends doing some car camping as well. We hiked the Chinnabee as well. We entered at the trail head on 281 at the parking lot and headed west past a couple of falls to the lake. It was really nice.

I noticed in your vid you saw some of the same fog that rolled in that we did. It was odd because I don't think it ever rained, but there was lots of condensation on the leaves and it was windy...wind would blow and it would rain for a few seconds!

Just wondering how you fared in the hammock? I woke up pretty soggy. I think this was partially because I didn't have my fly staked low enough (wasn't expecting rain). However, there was so much moisture in the air I think I would have been soggy no matter how I staked the fly. It seemed condensation was forming on the bug net and then dripping all over me all night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Turnipseed is about 1100' below the state park, so I never even saw the fog until I was headed home, and drove up over the top of the mountain. I could feel the moisture in the air when I got up Sunday morning, but stay dry just fine. I have hiked that same trail up to the shelter, just not over to the lake. That's a much easier hike than going east from the parking lot and up to the Pinhoti.

Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    Turnipseed is about 1100' below the state park, so I never even saw the fog until I was headed home, and drove up over the top of the mountain. I could feel the moisture in the air when I got up Sunday morning, but stay dry just fine. I have hiked that same trail up to the shelter, just not over to the lake. That's a much easier hike than going east from the parking lot and up to the Pinhoti.
    I thought that might be the case on the fog. Maybe this time of year it is better to find a site with lower elevation! It was a pretty easy hike going out to the lake. From the shelter to the lake was mostly downhill, so coming back was a little more strenuous. Devil's Den waterfall near the lake was really cool. It's only about 1/2 mile from the trail entrance at the lake rec area.

• + New Posts