Spindrift (I'm impressed!)

This weekend broke an uncharacteristic 80+ days of no rain in the notoriously rainy Pacific North West.

I was camped out on a high open ridge in the only patch of trees for miles suitable for hanging. Most trees burned from a past forest fire. Fortunately next to the car. I should have know better with the forecast storm front. As i retired for the night the wind started to pick up. I drifted off to sleep the sound of rain pounding on the tarp. I awoke at 3 am with the sound of the tarp flapping furiously in the wind. The spindrift was also flapping furiously, plus there was some mist shaking off the spindrift into my face. I was greeted by horizontal blast of rain as i started up unzip the sock entrance. At some time during the night the stakes were pulled out of the ground by a strong gust of wind. I could hear the next gust coming as i was fumbling to restake the tarp. When the gust arrived it brought chunks of bark peeled off the burnt trees. I was pelted with debris, and rain.
    The wind was so strong i feared trees might fall. So i made the decision to retreat to the car. I removed my top quilt and tossed in in the car. While i was removing the under quilt, i noticed a large puddle of water on the bottom of the spindrift. Both quilts were dry, the hammock body was dry. It is apparent the tarp must have broken loose for some time, leaving the sock exposed to the full force of the horizontal rain.

I know this is not what the sock is intended for....but i'm impressed with the level of protection it affords.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What? We've had 2 solid days of rain in Bellingham!

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    This weekend broke an uncharacteristic 80+ days of no rain in the notoriously rainy Pacific North West.

I was camped out on a high open ridge in the only patch of trees for miles suitable for hanging. Most trees burned from a past forest fire. Fortunately next to the car. I should have know better with the forecast storm front. As i retired for the night the wind started to pick up. I drifted off to sleep the sound of rain pounding on the tarp. I awoke at 3 am with the sound of the tarp flapping furiously in the wind. The spindrift was also flapping furiously, plus there was some mist shaking off the spindrift into my face. I was greeted by horizontal blast of rain as i started up unzip the sock entrance. At some time during the night the stakes were pulled out of the ground by a strong gust of wind. I could hear the next gust coming as i was fumbling to restake the tarp. When the gust arrived it brought chunks of bark peeled off the burnt trees. I was pelted with debris, and rain.
    The wind was so strong i feared trees might fall. So i made the decision to retreat to the car. I removed my top quilt and tossed in in the car. While i was removing the under quilt, i noticed a large puddle of water on the bottom of the spindrift. Both quilts were dry, the hammock body was dry. It is apparent the tarp must have broken loose for some time, leaving the sock exposed to the full force of the horizontal rain.

I know this is not what the sock is intended for....but i'm impressed with the level of protection it affords.
    thanks for sharing ive been thinking about this piece for winter.

Hammock
    Darien ul
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    Sniv/HG incubato 0
    Suspension
    dutch woopie hooks
    Images
    Great review I just got my spindrift thanx for the info. So was the tarp alright?

Hammock
    BIAS ww-switchback-WBRR
    Tarp
    tadpole
    Insulation
    underground quilts
    Suspension
    whoopies,strap
    Just ordered a spindrift myself!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I couldn't agree with you more. My wife and I spent the other night by a lake in upstate NY and the wind was howling. Inside my Ridgerunner with the Spindrift you'd have thought it was a summer night.

I also set it up in my backyard the other night without a tarp over it. Well....as luck would have it, the inevitable rains came.The next morning a little puddle had formed at the bottom of the Spindrift but everything else including a down UQ stayed dry. It seemed that whatever water found it's way in, simply ran down the inside wall of the Spindrift and remained at the bottom.

I couldn't be happier with my Spindrift/ Ridgerunner combo. BTW...I plan on leaving the Spindrift permanently attached from now until late Spring. The whole thing fits easily in the hammock stuff sack.

Miguel

Hammock
    BIAS ww-switchback-WBRR
    Tarp
    tadpole
    Insulation
    underground quilts
    Suspension
    whoopies,strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Just ordered a spindrift myself!
    My Spindrift arrived today!Many thanks,Brandon.I was surprized at the tiny stuff sack[sorry,no pics-technology challenged] .Too tired to install tonight but will soon.Fitting subject for my 50th post!

• + New Posts