Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

My Son's Firsts (Yep Multiple)

This weekend was a weekend of firsts for my son (6 yrs old) and me. We went to his first Cub Scout camping trip. It was at an awesome camp, Gus Blass Boy Scout Camp in Damascus AR. This place was great, the staff was very helpful and the accommodations were great.
    We ended up setting up our hammocks looking out over the lake in a little grouping of trees. We are just getting our hammock "kit" together so we don't have a fancy nylon tarp (yet, you will see why later) so we used a brown and silver Walmart tarp. I was going to set up a double tarp so we would have more protection from the storms that were going to hit during the night, but I ended up letting my friend use the smaller tarp to put over his t--t.
    This was my son's first camping trip using hammocks. He used a Grand Trunk ultra light with a draped bug net and whoopie slings/tree strap setup. The bug net worked great, just a couple of small rocks and rubber bands on the corners to hold it down and presto no bugs!
    Well that is two firsts down how about some more...
    I had mentioned the pending storms earlier, I made the choice to not tell my son about the storms that were going to hit that night, and I am glad I did. That little man slept right through them!
    Now we're not talking a little rain and some little breezes with light rumbles of thunder in the distance. No this was more like small hurricane. It was strong enough to take out at least one tent at the camp. As a matter of fact a couple of counties to our North West the storm produced a tornado.
    I got up three or four times to check the tarp tie downs and re-tighten them. I also had to use a walking stick to prop up in the middle of the tarp to help with run off. At one point during the thick of things I was holding on to the walking stick with one hand and the side of the tarp with the other because I was afraid it was about to leave us.
    We ended up making it through the storm unharmed and relatively dry and my son completely unaware that anything had happened. My under quilt go some wind blown splatter and my Son's Pea pod sleeping bag got wet on the windward side. The tarp did it's job other than a couple of pinholes. I am researching sinylon today!
    The storm counts as two firsts because it was my first real storm and of course my son's also.
    Even though we had the unfortunate storm and my total loss of good sleep we had a great time! I asked my son (really got to get a screen name for him) "what was your favorite part of the camp?" his answer "Sleeping in my hammock and camping with you!". LOVE THAT LITTLE MAN!

Oh yeah and the got a ton of belt loops. Here are a few pics from the weekend. My son is the one in the middle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More and more cubs in hammocks! Great post and glad you stayed safe
    NOOB!
    My hammock: Warbonnet 1.7 Double
    My sons hammock: Hennessy Hammock Expedition w/ 2QZQ Mod 4
    Spare: ENO Double Nest.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Sounds like y'all had a blast! Makes me long for the days of yore, back when I was a young scout. Glad y'all made it through the storm.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Now that looks to have been a good time! In a few years, I'm hoping to do something similar with my boys.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Great times! took my boys (4 and 2) to DeGray for some t**t camping this weekend. You guys got the brunt of that storm! Glad all survived! When did you start yours in Cub Scouts?

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    harrellt, This is his first year in cub scouts, we started the first week of school. The scouts send flyers to our schools for kids when they enter the First grade.

Awesome! Love seeing Cubs in hammocks! Glad yours enjoyed it! Mine would camp every night.

We have our Pack's fall campout this coming weekend, though our conditions will be much drier than you had last weekend! It'll be our second Cub Scout hang after three years of tenting (in Scouts, plus a couple more before that).

Looking forward to trying out my new underquilt (Hammock Gear 20 deg. Phoenix).
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it; we go to smooth it." -- Nessmuk

Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 102, Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Priceless experience brother! Storms just add to the memories for both of you.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"- Dr Suess

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Nothing like starting them off right with the hammocks. Here's to many more great outings!
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I was really surprised that we were the only ones in hammocks at the cub scout campout. I did notice that as we were driving out the boy scouts up the road had three hanging in the trees. They looked like some nice rigs but I think they were just there for relaxing.
    My son loves his hammock, he was soooo proud to show it off to his friends and explain how to "properly hang in a hammock". We did have a lot of interested dads and cubs.
    Really did not mean to focus so much on the storm, it was only a few hours of bad in a weekend of greats. We can't wait to go back and hang in a tree, I just need to get the "OK" from the wife to buy some silnylon to make a set of tarps. I'm thanking about some of the reflective stuff from www.shop.bivysacks.com it is silver on one side and black on the other.
    And thanks for all the positive feed back and if it was not for all the info I have gotten from this great forum and you, we would have been on the ground like all the rest of the campers. Here is to "Elevating your perspective"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast