WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch

7 days in the West Virginia Wilderness.

First part of the trip was the Otter Creek Wilderness. Originally a group of 6 it quickly dwindled to 3 of us. We drove to a car camping site on Sunday September 30th for the night. On October 1st we hit the trail for the next 3 days in Otter Creek. Weather started out perfect then later that evening on our first day rain set it. It wasn't a down pour, but the wind kept us on our toes on which way it was going to blow the rain and mist. Rain continued throughout the night on into most of the next day. This area is known for Otter Creek to rise, and rise quickly, as the leader of this trip and knowing the area I setup a few evacuation routes just in case. We kinda put one in action on that Tuesday morning as Happy Camper scared the bejesus out of me at 5:00 am that morning shaking my hammock. She was what I thought a little nervous about all the rain, I knew it probably wasn't enough to cause any flooding but set her mind at ease with a different route for the day. I don't think she thought the creek was flooding, but had concerns that if we continued our planned route, it might flood later in the day. So we had a plan. On this day 2 the rain slacked off just enough that morning we got to pack up relatively dry that morning and headed out. Backtracking down Yellow Creek we came back onto Otter Creek and headed up toward its upper trail head. From there we hit Hendrick Camp trail and soon discovered a beaver made a nice dam downstream from one of the small foot bridges over the water. Not sure this was smart of me, but I sent my boss, and kind of a newb to test out the partially under water bridge first. With his successful crossing myself and HC continued and we all soon came to Shavers Mountain Trail. We hiked Shavers Mountain and what a beautiful hike it was, moss covered rocks and ground through the piney woods to wide open hardwoods. We stopped at a nice overlook for lunch and enjoyed the sun finally peeking through. Parts of the woods with tall birch where so yellow that it brightened to the point we thought sun was shining earlier. We ended up making it back to the intersection of Mylius and Shavers Mountain trail to setup camp for our final night in Otter Creek. On the third no one was really in any hurry, so we took our time with breakfast, had a nice fire, enjoyed some conversation, then packed it up. The hike out was way to short but very enjoyable with colors of leaves floating down everywhere. Making it back to the trail head and vehicles, my boss departed heading back home. Me and HC jumped in the Jeep and headed for Dolly Sods to meet up with Oh-No and SweetbabyD.

September 3rd, remainder of the day. After getting out of the Otter Creek Wilderness that morning, we headed to Dolly Sods Wilderness. On the way we just happened to be driving by Big Johns Family Restaurant in Canaan Valley. At this point, I need something more than trail food. So we stopped and ate a nice filling hot meal, cheating, yes I know. After that we hit the gas station for some treats and other odds and ends then headed for the sods. We arrived and found Oh-No and Sweetbabyd waiting for us. After a quick discussion we decided to head down Blackbird Knob trail to find a suitable camp for the evening. Not having much time until sunset, we set a pretty good pace and landed ourselves at the first planned camp early, why not continue on. So we did finally making it to our secrete spot with enough time to spare. Good choice. On the 4th we did a day hike up Harman Trail to Rocky Ridge overlooking Canaan Valley. We had to meet up with Country Roads & Ferret the next morning so after the day hike, we packed up and headed back toward Red Creek Camp ground. Finding a spot fairly close to our vehicles but far enough away from the camp ground we setup for the night. Once again with just enough time before darkness. On October the 5th we packed up and headed to our planed meeting spot, first to show was Ferret. Then as we are setting around getting something to eat, I asked for Country Roads directions for us, she was our trip leader after all for the Roaring Plains part of our trip. Noticing she mentioned meeting not where we were at, I jumped in the motor coach and heading down the hill to meet CR. We left her vehicle there and headed back to everyone else to start the trip. A short drive out one of the access roads put us at the trail head. We where supposed to meet Maztrain and his dad the next day. As we start hiking all we could do was oh ah from the constant barrage of scenic views. It was one after another of beauty. We discussed hiking on to our second nights camp with everyone agreeing. Onward we go, changing our plans once again. Keep in mind, me and HC changed our plans in Otter Creek, that worked out very well. In the Roaring Plains, this also worked out very well as we arrived at our second night spot finding Maztrain and his dad came in a day early and had us a spot already picked. What a perfect spot it was. Later that evening a group of about 6 came in and if I remember correctly said like 12 or umpteen more was expected in throughout the night. Glad we changed our plans and found us a spot before the tenters all came in. We also found another HF member that was camped across the trail from us. I believe he went by the Fridge, Refrigerator, something like that. He was from down Mt. Rogers way. I'm not going to describe the scenery we saw, I'll let you see that for yourself, especially the Dolly Sods/Roaring Plains trip. Would like to thank Country Roads once again for leading us on this trip.

And yes, they are music type videos, that it what I like to create. My love for music and the great outdoors. With that in mind, the videos may not show up correctly in some countries, sorry. But to those who can see, hear, and watch, enjoy.

Otter Creek Wilderness, September 30th - October 3rd.

Dolly Sods & Roaring Plains October 3rd - October 7th.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    absolutely loved it!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Awesome videos, BC...thanks for sharing. I really must get over to Dolly Sods...haven't been there in probably 30 years and a ground-dwelling friend of mine likes to go there. I need to get him up for a trip.

Thanks again!
    Andy...

"...if Shug didn't make you do it, then it's Dutch's fault!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Great videos, BearChaser. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    It was a nice hike! We had some cold weather on Sat and Sun. but missed the snow that came later on.
    I am very happy that I have found Hammock Forums. I have met and hung with some of the most awesome people. This trip really reinforced that.
    Thanks to all for a great weekend!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    7 nights out backpacking with some wonderful people in Almost Heaven, WV during some fantastic fall foliage on some mighty awesome trails. Weather for 6 of those nights never got below 50. The last night 34 bbbbrrrrrrr. It's thrilling to see Mike's videos of the trip and say "I was there! I was there!" I still giggle at the food bag Christmas tree right where Mike had his hammock.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux Asym
    Insulation
    Windshiedeflectors
    Great video!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Great report and videos. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Nice trip! Thanks for sharing. The Brrrrr night is good training for the cooler weather coming.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    @Peanuts, thank you very much.
    @Drewski, most definitely need to gather him up for a future trip to the sods. Beautiful place indeed.
    @SilvrSurfr, thanks man, it was a fantastic trip. Even though we changed plans a good bit, everything seemed to work out for the best. I think most had dreams of day hiking on Saturday, but the windy rainy start & continuing most of the day made most just content with relaxing and keeping the fire going.
    @Country Roads, yeah, kinda bummed we missed the snow, but oh well, plenty more time for that. Your not the only one glad you found HF's, your a numnutofthetrail.
    @HappyCamper, I could not have asked for a better hiking partner for all 7 days, and yes, you are awake, it was not a dream, you where there for the entire trip. Yep, that would be a perfect backpackers Christmas tree, especially for the bears if we left it there. Be like a child on Christmas morning with sacks full of goodies.
    @WVScouter, thank you much.
    @jayf124, thanks, and you are welcome. I don't share them all, just normally post them up on YT, but this one showing some WV beauty I had to share.
    @JayS, thanks, no training necessary for this group. I think everyone there was prepared for the worst and everyone made it through great. I found out my 3 season quilts worked very well in these temps and conditions. So I'm looking forward to seeing a little lower.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast