Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Whoopie Slings - Length Concern

I have a HH Explorer that I want to change out the stock suspension. I have studied the options on this forum for 3 straight days. What I think is the suspension system I want is to use 1" webbing with a Dutch Buckle for anchor points. Then use Whoopie Slings to attach the hammock to the anchor points.

My HH hex tarp is just under 12 feet long, so at minimum my anchors must be 12 feet apart. However, the hammock itself is 9' 8" long. At first I thought I would just attach Whoopie Slings directly to the hammock, but I am concerned that will eliminate my ability to attach to anchors less than about 16 feet apart. If I add 6' Whoopie slings to each side of the hammock, what is the minimum length the Whoopies will shorten to?

What I think would be a more versatile option would be to attach Amsteel chain links to each end of the hammock. Then I could just loop the chain links over the Dutch Buckles when the anchors are maybe 12'-16' apart. I would adjust the suspension length by moving the Dutch buckle closer or farther to the anchor along the 1" webbing strap.

Once the distance between anchors is 16' or more, I could attach Whoopie slings to the chain links with Dutch hooks.

Am I thinking through this process correctly? Is it okay to adjust the suspension length a few feet by moving the Dutch Hook (Marlin Spike Hitch) further away from the anchor? Do you think the system I've outlined will be a good solution?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    The whoopies that I make will go down to about 18". I also found that seperate suspension for your tarp will help avoid the sag that happens when you get in the hammock. Plus you can set up your tarp first and get out of the rain if you need to. I've got an explorer with whoopies and a seperate suspension for my tarp. If you have any questions, or want to see my set up just let me know. I'm not too far from you at all.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by markrvp View Post
    ...Am I thinking through this process correctly? Is it okay to adjust the suspension length a few feet by moving the Dutch Hook (Marlin Spike Hitch) further away from the anchor? Do you think the system I've outlined will be a good solution?...
    Yes, Yes and Yes...that's the way I've been dealing with long hammocks and short stands for quite a while now and it works very well. My new WBRR already has short chain links permanently attached in addition to the stock suspension.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    The whoopies that I make will go down to about 18". I also found that seperate suspension for your tarp will help avoid the sag that happens when you get in the hammock. Plus you can set up your tarp first and get out of the rain if you need to. I've got an explorer with whoopies and a seperate suspension for my tarp. If you have any questions, or want to see my set up just let me know. I'm not too far from you at all.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=59756
    and
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=60688
    and
    several other threads have great suspension discussion with a single line, no sag tarp and hammock setup.

• + New Posts