Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images

Tarp Ridge Line Question

On a rectangle style tarp with the seam along the ridge line would I need to add reinforcements to the tie out points at the ridge line? As big as I am making this thing "12 X 10 / 11 X 10" I wanna save as much weight as I can. I know a big ol tarp is not a really good way to save weight to begin with ...but I like having a big area in camp to hang out in during bad weather and I also like to be able to whip out the tarp during bad weather to wait out a storm with a few buddies in style rather than being huddled under a 6X6.
    Last edited by RTR; 11-13-2008 at 16:37.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I would think, as a rule of thumb, to add reinforcements anywhere specific stress would be exerted. The ridgeline would be a static connection subject to wind stress, As tensioners are not used on the ridgeline all that stress is transfered directly to the tarp. I guess I would consider the ridgeline an essential place for reinforcements. The weight penalty would be negligible I would think.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    the ridgeline tabs will see nearly double the force applied to the corners. force on the rl pulltabs will put force along the rl seam. the good thing is that the seam is at least 4 layers thick so that's your reinforcement right there.

i would use some 1/2" ggr and just sew that directly to the seam forming a loop at the end for the connection point. the only reinforcement i would do would be to stitch that ggr down the rl seam at least 6" using a double row of stitching and fairly short stitch length just to get alot of stitches in. i wouldn't add any patches or anything like that that would need to be stitched outside the rl seam.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the ridgeline tabs will see nearly double the force applied to the corners. force on the rl pulltabs will put force along the rl seam. the good thing is that the seam is at least 4 layers thick so that's your reinforcement right there.

i would use some 1/2" ggr and just sew that directly to the seam forming a loop at the end for the connection point. the only reinforcement i would do would be to stitch that ggr down the rl seam at least 6" using a double row of stitching and fairly short stitch length just to get alot of stitches in. i wouldn't add any patches or anything like that that would need to be stitched outside the rl seam.
    I was thinkin along the same lines as far as the ridge line seam being 4 layers and plenty strong enough, But would you also say the same thing for the corner pulls too? I was thinking of adding the GG in a Y in the corners and sewing the GG down each side of the corner down the Hem, and then having the loop hang off the very tip about 2 inches.

Images
    yeah, you could do that, just putting ggr or trim along the edge for a ways and nothing in the interior of the corner. i would go at least 8" in each direction. you can leave several inches hanging off from each piece and use that to go around a plastic d-ring or something and then just stitch it back on itself. if you try just stitching a pull tab loop to the ends of the ggr trim, you have to worry about only being able to install very few stitches at that spot, making for a relatively weak stitch joint between the end of the edge "trim" and the actual pull tab. it might still be strong enough, but the other way, you can make the piece that gets stitched back onto itself as long as you want (probably 4" or so). this is how i do my tarps except i have trim running along the entire perimeter rather than just at the corners. the way i suggested the ridgeline is how i used to do it until i put trim along the length of the ridgeline as well, but it is still basically the same.

i do do the pull tabs on the doors of the superfly almost exactly like you describe, but they don't see much tension, however as long as you make the arms of the y long enough (probably 8" or so) and double stitch it with short stitch length, the fabric should be fine. again, not sure about the way you describe attaching the loop, but the rest i'm pretty confident about.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    yeah, you could do that, just putting ggr or trim along the edge for a ways and nothing in the interior of the corner. i would go at least 8" in each direction. you can leave several inches hanging off from each piece and use that to go around a plastic d-ring or something and then just stitch it back on itself. if you try just stitching a pull tab loop to the ends of the ggr trim, you have to worry about only being able to install very few stitches at that spot, making for a relatively weak stitch joint between the end of the edge "trim" and the actual pull tab. it might still be strong enough, but the other way, you can make the piece that gets stitched back onto itself as long as you want (probably 4" or so). this is how i do my tarps except i have trim running along the entire perimeter rather than just at the corners. the way i suggested the ridgeline is how i used to do it until i put trim along the length of the ridgeline as well, but it is still basically the same.

i do do the pull tabs on the doors of the superfly almost exactly like you describe, but they don't see much tension, however as long as you make the arms of the y long enough (probably 8" or so) and double stitch it with short stitch length, the fabric should be fine. again, not sure about the way you describe attaching the loop, but the rest i'm pretty confident about.
    As far as the loop for the tie down goes it is just part of the GG not a separate piece of webbing or anything. The loop is part of the "Y" GG that will be sewn along the corner. The tail of the "Y" is the loop and the V of the "Y" is the corner. Get me????? And thanks for the ideas I am thinkin I am going to do the corners. Leave the RL alone and then for any tie down point that has little tension I will do little semi-circles as Ramblin suggested. Hope my Syl arrives today, ordered it from Quest. Gray for the Tarp and black for the corners. I am making Just Jeff's All-In-One with the black so the left overs are for the corners of the tarp.
    Last edited by RTR; 11-14-2008 at 11:11.

Images
    ok, i see how it's one piece now. post pics when it's done

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x12 Sil Nylon
    Insulation
    Peapod
    Images

I used Triptease

I have a large (8'x11') homemade tarp, I used Triptease as the ridgeline and used something approximating Prusik knots through the grosgrain tieouts to hold the tarp tightly to the ridgeline. The knot also allows for some adjustment exactly where the tarp is hanging.

The seam in my tarp does not run down the ridgeline, it's offset; I've a full width of silnylon fabric on one side and a 3 foot wide piece on the other side.

In a high wind, there is a lot of force on the tarp. The Triptease takes a lot force off of the tieouts.

A couple of weeks ago, I was not only being swayed side to side by the wind, sometimes I was bouncing up and down. It was hard to get the tent stakes to hold.

If I do another tarp, I'll do a cat cut ridgeline and I'll do something to shape the sides so that they aren't big, flat sails. Maybe a seam across the short dimension so that the side comes to a sort of point. It wouldn't take much, maybe a foot or 18 inches.

I plan on adding some triangular pieces to the ends so that I can tie the ends shut; a sort of pup tent in the air.

Bob S

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by I Splice View Post
    I have a large (8'x11') homemade tarp, I used Triptease as the ridgeline and used something approximating Prusik knots through the grosgrain tieouts to hold the tarp tightly to the ridgeline. The knot also allows for some adjustment exactly where the tarp is hanging.

The seam in my tarp does not run down the ridgeline, it's offset; I've a full width of silnylon fabric on one side and a 3 foot wide piece on the other side.

In a high wind, there is a lot of force on the tarp. The Triptease takes a lot force off of the tieouts.

A couple of weeks ago, I was not only being swayed side to side by the wind, sometimes I was bouncing up and down. It was hard to get the tent stakes to hold.

If I do another tarp, I'll do a cat cut ridgeline and I'll do something to shape the sides so that they aren't big, flat sails. Maybe a seam across the short dimension so that the side comes to a sort of point. It wouldn't take much, maybe a foot or 18 inches.

I plan on adding some triangular pieces to the ends so that I can tie the ends shut; a sort of pup tent in the air.

Bob S
    Yea I am basically using the JRB 11X10 design as a jumping point. Taking the folding doors as my main reason for making this unit. Still in the middle of making it. I have gotten as far as sewing the ridge line seam and the four corner reinforcement panels. I am actually working on it tonight, and it is half way set up. I am working on the best place to attach the side pull outs to make the doors. Exactly how far to put them in from the corners. I think 32" is gonna be the ticket. Gives me just enough room inside but still leaves enough space between the two middle tie out points, along the bottom, for good tension when the doors are totally sealed. At least on paper. Figure I can always add more if I need to later. Wont be pretty but for my first tarp, my hopes are for straight functionality. My next tarp will have the Fancy Pants factor if it gets made.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images

Talking Done!!!!!!

Hey all finished my tarp. Thing is huge...but exactly what i was going after, total coverage with space to spare. The doors worked out perfectly at 32" from the ends and then I added an extra tie out in the middle just for good measure. Better to have the tab and not use it than the reverse. Final weight is a bit heavier than I wanted @ 18.5Oz. I was looking to get around 16-17 but I will find 2.5 OZ to get rid of some place else to make myself feel good about it. I didn't bother using reinforcement panels for the side tie outs just sewed the GG in when I rolled the hem and then added a few bar stitches to them for the over engineered look . I don't think they will pull out but I wasn't really able to crank on the tarp as I had it setup inside. Going to purchase the Kelty Trip Tease cord for my lines, and I am going to make some Tarp Tensioners too. Thanks for all your help with this I will post pics tonight.

• + New Posts