DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Thumbs up Warbonnet Blackbird - custom model (Let's call it the Ptarmigan?)

CAUTION - STRONG OPINION FOLLOWS!!!

I haven't had a chance to get out in the woods with my new Warbonnet Blackbird yet, but I have had it hanging in my basement for the past week to test the hang, fit quilts, check the quality of the stitching, look for potential mods, and generally get it ready for some good winter camping without fighting the snow/sleet/rain/wind we've had every day the past week.

I had Brandon do a custom Blackbird out of my own special fabric, so I can't really comment on how a non-custom Blackbird lays. He did a double layer for me out of untreated digital camo ripstop and this special gray Sportswear Nylon that I found at JoAnne's during one of their sales. This stuff is the cat's meow, everything about it is awesome! It has a nice soft hand for sewing, it's silky smooth and a complimentary gray to the digital ripstop, and I have to report that the Blackbird he made for me is the most comfortable hammock I have ever been in, period!! I sent the UPC from the bolt to Brandon, as he liked the fabric as well. And I still have 7 yards of this same fabric in Coyote Brown!

The footbox idea for the Blackbird was genius. It really accomodates a diagonal lay nicely, but does make fitting a full length UQ a little tricky. The quality of all the materials in the Blackbird were top-knotch, right down to the zipper. I would like a larger pull tab on the zipper, but that's easily remedied on my own. The stitching is incredible. The bugnet, when the wings are stretched, is a thing of beauty. And I don't know what I ever did without an internal ridgeline - they are now a must on all my hammocks.

It did take a couple of tries to get the hang just right, and playing around with quilts, pads and such to get the right feel. I thought I would try pads again in this hammock to see if I would get a different result from my other hammocks (sweaty back,) but like others have reported, a pad gets lost in the cavernous pocket. Quilts for me.

Working with Brandon on this custom project was great, and he did an excellent job. I will follow up with pictures once I move the hammock out of my basement, but it is so comfortable that every time I lay in it, I fall asleep within 5 minutes, and with the weather being so cruddy up here, it's nice to have a hammock hanging indoors again. First cold weather test will be this weekend, but I can't go far (recuperating dog had 2nd surgery.) I hope to either hit the Kettle Moraine forest for at least one night, or last resort the backyard in the expected snow showers on Friday and Saturday nights.

This was my best purchase to date of any hammock related equipment, and has now surpassed my beloved Clark NA and my JRB BMB as my most comfortable hammock. I feel that outdoor tests this weekend will confirm my suspicions that those of you who do not own a Blackbird are missing out, and should jump on while you can! I cannot believe that the best hammock I own was made by a cottage maker from this site - blows every commercial hammock I have ever been in out of the water.

p.s. I sold my last DD hammock to fund this purchase, and I don't regret it at all. The Blackbird blows the DD out of the water, IMO, and I can't say enough good things about the Blackbird and it's genious creator, Brandon. Thank you, Brandon.
    Last edited by fin; 11-13-2008 at 18:39. Reason: Added caution

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    A picture says a thousand words. .. cough cough, hint hint

sounds awesome.
    Webhost: www.ehko.info

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    I am eagerly awaiting my Blackbird. Reading your review REALLY makes me envious! I hope you enjoy it and I am looking forward to pics.
    Last edited by Splinter; 11-13-2008 at 19:45. Reason: Can't spell...sorry
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    FishinFinn, I like you have real strong positive feeling about the Blackbird. Wondering what issues you had with the full length UQ?

I've rigged the Blackbird 1.1 single with both the JRB Mt Washington and Nest using the standard JRB suspension. The Nest did require the normal tweaking to remove the too loose air gap. For whatever reason both uq tend to shift to the right when I slide in. Easy to reposition while laying in the Blackbird. Need to see some photos of the pad pocket. Used the HH ocf +space blanket +WS2 on the Blackbird. It works fine. It's my warm/cool temp option. The Mt. Washington for cold conditions. The Nest is my top quilt.

Now you have me thinking about a custom Blackbird. If Brandon is willing a Momentum 0.9 single layer in grey green or maybe a Spinntex EXP single layer for cold weather hanging. Have to sell the HH ULBP to justify another hammock purchase.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I second Finns review...best hammock purchase to date.

I will add the Claytor Jungle and HH Expedition Hammocks (I own both) to the Clark (never tried) of commercial hammocks that fail in comparison to the Blackbird!

Personally, I love being on the cutting edge...even if I just paid for the privilage!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    FishinFinn, I like you have real strong positive feeling about the Blackbird. Wondering what issues you had with the full length UQ?
    Air gaps on the footbox end (fixed,) and attachment issues (fixed.) My UQ's fit perfect on my bridge with no adjustments. I have a couple of DIY quilts that need some tweeking/adjustability.

Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Have to sell the HH ULBP to justify another hammock purchase.
    IMO, no loss there. Heck, I'm contemplating a second warbonnet myself.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    A picture says a thousand words. .. cough cough, hint hint

sounds awesome.
    I know, I know - I said the pics are coming after the weekend. Weather has been so cr***y, and I wanted to work out the wrinkles before I sleep out in the sub-freezing we've been getting.

P.S. I've tried some pics in the basement, but it's pretty crowded with the hammock down there and hard to get a shot that makes any sense or shows anything well.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I concur .... I am loving mine too much....although not a custom job. 1/2 UQ fits good as long as the line goes over the foot box. So far I have not tried my full UQ but will next week.
    Gonna get it in the real woods soon and out of the backyard .... I did not want to like as much as my DIY hammock but the comfort is wonderful. I even don't mind and am getting used to the tie outs. And they are easy.
    Three cheers for the Blackbird and that sweet shelf.
    Video review soon!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post

The footbox idea for the Blackbird was genius. I would like a larger pull tab on the zipper, but that's easily remedied on my own. The stitching is incredible. The bugnet, when the wings are stretched, is a thing of beauty.
    I agree that the footbox was brilliant. One of the first things I did was tie some short pieces of reflective guyline to the zipper pulls. This is a standard thing I do on most of my outdoor gear with zippers and it's always been handy when setting up via headlamp, which I do more than I care to think about. The combination of the hugeness of the interior with the bugnet stretched and the amount of space in the shelf is awesome. I can stow my shoes, headlamp, phone, ipod, and down jacket in the shelf no problem.

It did take a couple of tries to get the hang just right, and playing around with quilts, pads and such to get the right feel. I thought I would try pads again in this hammock to see if I would get a different result from my other hammocks (sweaty back,) but like others have reported, a pad gets lost in the cavernous pocket. Quilts for me.
    My experience was pretty much the same, and I found that getting pad position wrong can really negatively affect the lay. That said, I go to ground plenty so I'm sticking with the pads for now. I found an Exped inflatable mat to be FAR more comfortable than a thermarest, CCF pad, or both combined. Like others, I've had the problems of the pad moving around inside the gigantic opening, so I'm still playing with ideas to hold it in place. My next idea is to use an elastic strap with some sort of plastic clip to hold the pad up against the left side of the hammock, right where the pad slot opens, because what usually happens is the pad pushes up into the right side of the hammock, out from under my body.

This was my best purchase to date of any hammock related equipment, and has now surpassed my beloved Clark NA and my JRB BMB as my most comfortable hammock. I feel that outdoor tests this weekend will confirm my suspicions that those of you who do not own a Blackbird are missing out, and should jump on while you can! I cannot believe that the best hammock I own was made by a cottage maker from this site - blows every commercial hammock I have ever been in out of the water.
    This is the only serious camping hammock I've ever bought, but after working through the bugs I'm thoroughly impressed with it, and reading reviews like yours has further convinced me that my money was well spent. I've gotten a chance to try out a Hennessey since making my purchase, and that REALLY convinced me that my dollars were put to good use. The Blackbird is miles more sophisticated than the HH, and I REALLY REALLY hope Brandon can get these things mass produced. This is the hammock that should be sold in every REI across the country.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I agree that the footbox was brilliant. One of the first things I did was tie some short pieces of reflective guyline to the zipper pulls. This is a standard thing I do on most of my outdoor gear with zippers and it's always been handy when setting up via headlamp, which I do more than I care to think about. The combination of the hugeness of the interior with the bugnet stretched and the amount of space in the shelf is awesome. I can stow my shoes, headlamp, phone, ipod, and down jacket in the shelf no problem.
    I just ordered some Glowpulls from Lighthound.
    Thanks to moski for the suggestion in another Warbonnet Blackbird thread. I also have some reflective guyline that I'd like to work in somewhere.

My experience was pretty much the same, and I found that getting pad position wrong can really negatively affect the lay. That said, I go to ground plenty so I'm sticking with the pads for now. I found an Exped inflatable mat to be FAR more comfortable than a thermarest, CCF pad, or both combined. Like others, I've had the problems of the pad moving around inside the gigantic opening, so I'm still playing with ideas to hold it in place. My next idea is to use an elastic strap with some sort of plastic clip to hold the pad up against the left side of the hammock, right where the pad slot opens, because what usually happens is the pad pushes up into the right side of the hammock, out from under my body.
    I tried an 1/8" ccf pad and an air mat, and the ccf pad worked better as far as staying put, but caused me to sweat too much. It also didn't change the lay in the hammock as much as the air mat. The hammock is so comfortable and lays so nice and flat, it doesn't need a pad/the pad doesn't improve the lay, at all. It detracts, if anything.

This is the only serious camping hammock I've ever bought, but after working through the bugs I'm thoroughly impressed with it, and reading reviews like yours has further convinced me that my money was well spent. I've gotten a chance to try out a Hennessey since making my purchase, and that REALLY convinced me that my dollars were put to good use. The Blackbird is miles more sophisticated than the HH, and I REALLY REALLY hope Brandon can get these things mass produced. This is the hammock that should be sold in every REI across the country.
    I started with a Hennessy, owned two DD's, own a Clark NA, a JRB BMB, 3 ATTH's, a Claytor No-net, an ENO single, a Travel Hammock SBPro and a primitive DIY. They all have their places and times and I will continue to use all of them, but this Blackbird beats them all. I don't know if I want everyone to have one - I kind of like being part of this exclusive club with my exotic looking hammock.

Here is my Ptarmigan - compare this with my real hammock when I post the pics this weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast