DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Exclamation Snug UQ?

Hello! I have an Incubator 0°F UQ from Hammockgear. I have this equipped on my DangerBird 72. I need help making sure it is snug enough so cold air doesn't leak inside. Do I use the cord locks? If so, to what extent? Should I get in and reach around and cinch them the tightest it can go? How gathered should it be? I uploaded a video to share my problems, although I don't know how to embed it so I will supply the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbqPl...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This may help.....http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52668
    And the video below may as well.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    Hi Kodaking, does your Incubator have the new suspension system with both the primary suspension (thicker shock cord that runs through the long channels with a loop at each end) and secondary suspension (thin shock cord that runs from corner to corner at both ends). I can only see what looks like the secondary suspension in your video.

Edit: sorry Shug, I didn't see your link to Stormcrow's thread.

Kodaking - my incubator fits my WBBB like a glove. Other than Shug and Stormcrow's advice, I'd suggest getting someone to lay in your hammock while you take a look at your UQ and adjust to suit

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Roe Ring View Post
    Hi Kodaking, does your Incubator have the new suspension system with both the primary suspension (thicker shock cord that runs through the long channels with a loop at each end) and secondary suspension (thin shock cord that runs from corner to corner at both ends). I can only see what looks like the secondary suspension in your video.
    I ordered mine a week or two ago so I have the new suspension(I believe). Looking at Shug's video, I will try cinching up the cord locks to the max, and using the "secondary suspension" to cinch it lengthwise.

Thanks Shug, you really are a life saver

Hammock
    WBBB XL 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch & Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roe Ring View Post
    I'd suggest getting someone to lay in your hammock while you take a look at your UQ and adjust to suit
    Yup...It's kinda hard to know what's going on out there while you're trying out new stuff

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I agree that the suspension needs to be tightened up. The UQ will pick up the hammock when its tight enough.

As for the shock cord and cord locks used to cinch the ends...It's never worked for me to have them cinched up all the way. About half way (or less) has been better.

Just play around until the cold spots go away.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I have a Dangerbird 72 as well, and a AHE New River modified to a 0* rating. My underquilt has the cinchable ends, and the lengthwise adjustable shock cord with carabiners to attach to the hammock suspension. However, and most useful, it has several little loops sewn in on each corner and side, meant for use with things like Triangle Thingies (that AHE sells), or Dutch Quilt Hooks (which I haven't tried, but appear to be designed to attach to the ridgline with shock cord to hold up the edges of your quilt).

If I weren't using those loops (like when I used it with my Blackbird), I just clipped the carabiners of the ends to the hammock suspension, cinched up the end channels most of the way (not quite all the way, or it bunches too close together, forming pathways for cold air -- you'll see in Shug's video that it's poofy and not squished). Then, from inside the hammock, I'd have someone else adjust the angle to make sure it's angled right to work with your lie -- no so tight you strain the shockcord getting in and out of the hammock, but not so loose you get big air gaps beneath you either.

However, the Dangerbird makes all of the adjustment easier, because it also has loops sewn in along the edges. If your underquilt has loops, this method works beautifully. I used 4 microbiners, 4 short lengths (about a foot or a foot and a half -- 30 to 45cm for those across the pond) of shock cord, and a package of 4 cord locks I picked up at my local big blue store.

I tied one end of the shock cord to the carabiners (I believe just a Round Turn with Two Half Hitches, but whatever knot you prefer should do), then passed the other end through a cord lock. I then passed the loose end of the shock cord through one of the loops near the end of the Dangerbird, and back through the cord lock. You can tie a stopper knot if you want - I didn't. Repeat 3 more times for the other loops at the ends of the hammock.

Now, clip the ends of your underquilt on the hammock suspension like normal. Clip the carabiners you just attached to your hammock to the loops at the corners of your underquilt. Cinch up the end channels of your underquilt as above. Finally, for each corner of the quilt, pull or loosen the end of the shock cord through your cord locks (make sure it's a little distant from the sewn loop it's going through -- you don't need to cinch the cord lock up to the loop; you need it to pass through that loop and have the cord lock just hold it where you set it). This makes it VERY easy to get a perfect custom fit for whichever direction you like to lay -- being sick the last few nights, I've isolated myself to the hammock hanging in the livingroom with the windows open, and I haven't even noticed the cool air outside except to hear the wind blowing out there..it's WARM in here!
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Ok so I managed to get the suspension tight, just tied a slippery half hitch on the line locs. I can still manage to fit the width of my hand underneath me. Is this ok? Felt pretty warm, so not sure if this is good or not. Should I throw a line over the ridgeline and tie it to the edges of the UQ? Or should I just invest in some Triangle Thingies?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodaking View Post
    Ok so I managed to get the suspension tight, just tied a slippery half hitch on the line locs. I can still manage to fit the width of my hand underneath me. Is this ok? Felt pretty warm, so not sure if this is good or not. Should I throw a line over the ridgeline and tie it to the edges of the UQ? Or should I just invest in some Triangle Thingies?
    Are you saying there is a space between the bottom of your hammock- when you are in the hammock - that is big enough to accommodate your hand? Or are you saying you can manage to get your hand between your back and the UQ by forcing the quilt downward a bit with your hand?

I have only used JRB and WB Yeti UQs, but I have not found that any sort of gap - not even 1/4" - between my back/butt and the surface of the quilt is conducive to warm. Mine seem to be much warmer if they are nice and snug right up against my back. I like to reach out with my rt hand and grab the left quilt edge- and grab the rt quilt top edge with my left hand, and pull up. Works better for me if it is adjusted such that I can't really pull it up any at all. As I pull I feel it pressing against my back, but it does not really move any distance. It just presses harder against my back, which it was already pressing against somewhat. If I can actually move it, then there is a small gap, which is not good unless it is warm weather!

The only thing I can get away with gaps in is a Pea Pod, and even then - though it is forgiving - it is still probably warmer with no gap. With my regular UQs, if it is cold at all I need zero gap.

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ w/ DOOR KIT
    Insulation
    HG/Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY WS

Ahe

I have an AHE jar bridge. The suspension never quite gets the uq snug. I've added ridge line attachment points in the center using web and shock cord (Shugs vid). Also, the ends are cinched up to ridge line for more vertical lift vs lateral pull. I was worried uq would pull ends together but it's fine when I get in.

Worked for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast