Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have never been to any of the places being discussed, other than Fairfield, and am reluctant to just pick one, hoping for the best. Tim will be here this afternoon...maybe he can shed a little light on things. Fairfield may end up being our best option.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Atlanta SP, on Wright-Patman? Anybody?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' Cobalt / Burgundy.
    Tarp
    Homemade Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Here's another vote for Meridian. We really do love that park. But we're happy with wherever we end up.

How about Tyler or Daingerfield?

Meridian state park picture set.

Daingerfield picture set

Tyler picture set.
    Last edited by Kattelyn; 12-05-2012 at 08:11.

Hammock
    11' DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Smokehouse HM Su
    Insulation
    sleeping bag conv
    Suspension
    Web and rings
    Fairfield is a bit far for me, don't know that I can make that. I'm not far from Caddo.... I may take a ride over there and talk to someone, or were the park folks pretty definite?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I'm going to try to keep this proximate to the original site. If we get too far from that, it becomes too far for some that have signed on for Caddo.

I'm looking at Daingerfield. Tim has camped there, and will know if it's suitable.
    Dave

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyz View Post
    Fairfield is a bit far for me, don't know that I can make that. I'm not far from Caddo.... I may take a ride over there and talk to someone, or were the park folks pretty definite?
    Sandpiper is going to call the park this morning, and see if something can be worked out. We may take you up on your offer, depending on what she learns.
    Dave

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I spent two hours at Coopers Lake SP, north of Sulphur Springs, this past Sunday. Nice place, very much like Tyler SP. A lot of camping areas, mostly set up for car camping. I was checking it out for a possible Orienteering Event. Only to find most trails were closed due to Deer Bow-hunting!
    Anyway, cooper Lake SP could be another option.
    The other thought is to call the different State Parks.
    The weekend of 11/4 we had a two day orienteering event at McKinney Falls SP in Austin. In mid-October, we checked online for campsites and got NOTHING avaliable. What? My SP buddy called. Oh, several basic sites (water and electric) were open, if you called. All walk in (rustic) were on a first-come, first-served basis. So he reserved a basic (water and electricity) site over the phone. When he got there at noon on Friday, he asked about the walk-in/rustics. they only have like 8, but only 2 were spoken for! So he just switched to that. We had a water outlet about 20 meters away. We had a bath room up the hill, 100 meters, where the cars were parked. We had showers about 1/2 mile away (it was closer to walk to it than driving, but all uphill).
    Anyway, suggest a call to the parks in mind, with the rough number of people.

I'd not make it on the 1/12 date (orienteering event already slated). Just offering up ideas.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Cooper is actually two state parks a north Doctors creek unit and a south sulfur springs unit. South has a water only are but its lacking in hanging sites for a group of any size, its also extremly exposed to the wind blowing north accrosses a long stretch of lake. North side is all water/electric sites, some would take a handful if you go in a bit.

Atlanta is a nice state park for 1-4 but it would be hard to get more than that in and very few sites will take more than 1-2. Last time I was there they were logging to thin out trees some so it may be better and it may be worse now though. It was a nice quiet park as far as traffic levels. Its also a walk to the water from the sites.

Dangerfield is pretty nice, the middle area could probably handle a few hammocks but again the water area doesn't have sites with a whole lot of hanging spots per site for a hang of much size without using quite a few sites.

Fairfield we have all been too, Tyler and meridian I haven't been to recently.

Think I got all of the ones mentioned.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    Cooper is actually two state parks a north Doctors creek unit and a south sulfur springs unit. South has a water only are but its lacking in hanging sites for a group of any size, its also extremly exposed to the wind blowing north accrosses a long stretch of lake. North side is all water/electric sites, some would take a handful if you go in a bit.

Atlanta is a nice state park for 1-4 but it would be hard to get more than that in and very few sites will take more than 1-2. Last time I was there they were logging to thin out trees some so it may be better and it may be worse now though. It was a nice quiet park as far as traffic levels. Its also a walk to the water from the sites.

Dangerfield is pretty nice, the middle area could probably handle a few hammocks but again the water area doesn't have sites with a whole lot of hanging spots per site for a hang of much size without using quite a few sites.

Fairfield we have all been too, Tyler and meridian I haven't been to recently.

Think I got all of the ones mentioned.
    So, are you making a recommendation?
    Dave

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast