ENO DN
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Red River Gorge

Pretty sure this doesn't quite fit in any of the non-donor forums, so this seems like the best place. But I was wondering if anyone here has experience with the Red River Gorge in Kentucky, and if so, could you recommend your favorite hikes there? I'm looking for some shorter day hikes as well as a longer 1-2 night backpacking route. Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Give me a PM, let me know what you are looking for: level of difficulty, time on trail, "I want to see", etc.

I'll likely be able to come up with something, been on every trail at least once, most 3 or more times.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    WL-Tad Pole -Black
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/MSH/Whoopie
    Besides hiking...I recommend dinner (pizza) at "Miguel's Pizza & Rock Climbing shop" (1890 Natural Bridge Rd Slade, KY 40376).

Also, here's a trail map.
    http://flyingfishmanky.com/imagelib/...target=tlx_new

I was there in July with a local budy...we hiked the swift camp creek trail and wildcat trail located in the Clifty Wilderness. Decent trails but the highlight was the prior days hike where we found the "eagle's nest" (not on any map). We had been trying to find it for a couple of years and finally did..had to hike along the river bed for 2 miles then straight up to a waterfall then crevice climb and that's where we found an awesome overview from high above!! I'd have to give my buddy a ring to figure out how we got there though!

Also, the trails to Gray's Arch (approx. 6 miles) are very nice but can get crowded during weekends/summers. We hiked in from the Rough Trail (intersection 221/10) and set up on hammocks off the trail . nice hike.
    If you hike that route I might be able to find/suggest an excellent hammock site hidden away which very FEW use.
    TRIUMPH
    Go Your Own Way

Hammock
    Clark UL
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    0*Burrow 20*Phoeni
    Suspension
    Whoopi
    I highly recommend the RRG, great trails and awesome views

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks everyone. I'm going out there for a day hike tomorrow. The Gorge is absolutely beautiful this time of year. I can't wait to get out there for some nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant View Post
    I'm going out there for a day hike tomorrow.
    I am jealous, and would love to be out there with you! On the other hand, I would rather be here since our first will be born any day now.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Seems I remember someone having a gathering there last year or the year before through the Thanksgiving weekend. I have 4 days off then..... I'm game if anyone else is!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Just a heads up to anyone who has never been before or who hasn't been in the last couple of years. The camping restrictions are more strict than they used to be, and they are enforcing them. The new (within the last few years) rules say you can't camp within 300 feet of any official trail. A couple of weeks ago, we spent two nights and hiked the rough trail/grey's arch loop. The first night, we stayed in a pine grove, about 225 feet from the trail, in a site with an established fire ring. It was a nice site, and it was the only one we had seen that wasn't taken. For those of you that know the area, it was a couple of hundred yards west of signature rock on the Rough trail. It was getting late, and we didn't want to roam around that area in the dark. (great way to take an unexpected fall).

As we were finishing coffee the next morning, a ranger came and read us the riot act about our "illegal"campsite. He was pretty polite, and we had a really clean camp, so he just warned us and moved on. However, when I showed him all of the campsites marked on my map that we had passed by because they were full, he said they were all illegal. I got the map set from Outragegis maps. They are awesome maps, but all of the camp dots are evidently illegal. The only ones you can use are the ones off the "unofficial" trails, which he called "user" trails.

With so much burned over area recovering with brambles and other scrub brush, there aren't really very many camping places in that section of the park that are the required distance from an official trail. If you go, plan on leaving enough daylight to bushwack somewhere far from site of the trail. Be careful, that isn't a good place to end up in the dark.

The next night, we found a beautiful spot that was several hundred yards up a creek from the trail, so we were ok, but those spots are few and far between. I imagine on a busy weekend, you would have a tough time. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    HH for now
    Tarp
    sgg 12x12 soon
    Insulation
    still looking
    Suspension
    JRB complete
    Just curious what time in the morning the ranger spoke to you? I have hiked/camped in the RRG for year and never had this happen, granted I break camp early most of the time. Love the rough trail btw and there is some wonderful "user" trails to explore(my case semi-lost) and lots of fun to be had!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I guess it was about 7:30? I remember thinking he must have gotten a pretty early start hiking if he made it in this far by that time. Overall, we had a great time. It is just good to know that almost every fire ring you see and good site you see is illegal. Make sure you get far off the beaten trail or get up and moving before dawn. In just the short section between Chimney Top road and the intersection of Rough Trail and Pinch em Tight, we must have passed 5 groups set up in great little sites near the trail or the various streams. According to the ranger, they were all illegal. Try hard to find some user trail sites, or you will be out of luck.

Overall, though, it is still worth it. Great place.

• + New Posts