HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    Still Researching
    Suspension
    Stock

Diy sewn PLUQ or Diy IX UQ

I have been reading and reading all the information about the two different UQ and can not decide which one to make. Does either one have an advantage or is it just availablity of materials that drive most people? I have an old issued PL but I would probably would order another to use if that is the way I am going.

Any help for a Noob would be great.

Thanks
    Mark

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    I went with PLUQ primarily due to availability of materials.

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    I did a sewn poncho liner for my under quilt. The reason was cost and availability. The army navy store sells there's for about $25 and its a short drive. So I picked up two and used the other one for a top quilt.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I think many folks have done the PLUQ, but left one side accessible to add supplemental insulation like IX or even a foam-backed truck sunscreen, so you could do a hybrid of the two.

I don't have to suspend my UQ by itself in my Magna- Hammock setup, so I can't speak on which is better as a stand alone UQ. I have a PLUQ folded in half with snaps around the perimeter. I have IX inside that for colder hanging, but I can take it out if I want. That just goes between my two layers without being compressed.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    Still Researching
    Suspension
    Stock
    I just found a supplier that will have some IX this afternoon so I have to decide if I order enough for the PLUQ or IX quilt.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Guess I'm the "odd man out" here, but I used what I had available. That meant a three-layer IX UQ, since I had several large pcs of the foam that comes wrapped around new flatscreen TVs. It probably isn't quite as thick as real IX, but it works surprisingly well. Considering I've got zero cost in to it, I had nothing to lose!

Actually hung out last night so I could try some TQ materials to see which works best. Anyhow, we had a low of 42 degrees, and the UQ did quite well for the most part, although towards morning I woke up once and wished I had another layer or two of IX in there . . . not bad, just not toasty anymore.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps

Thumbs up

I found Poncho Liner "Woobies" on ebay for $17 shipped so bought a couple. They're in really good condition as the auction states, and arrived quickly via USPS so I'll throw a recommendation out there for the seller: ccdealsonline

Never having seen one before, I was surprised how thin they actually are. There is a minimal layer of polyester fill. It looks more like just two layers of camo ripstop...

I'm going to try a couple things with these, single top layer tonight, double top layer tomorrow (too rainy around here to go outside at the moment - and it's a work night so I'm shutting down the heat registers in my room for an experiment), then underquilt folded over, then some fleece between the UQ layers, and then finally the light packing foam.

I figure that the liners are a good idea to have around anyway. They give me a bunch of options to reconfigure too.
    Last edited by DBLOCK; 10-22-2012 at 20:32. Reason: imbed youtube video review of poncho liner

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double, DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBLOCK View Post
    I found Poncho Liner "Woobies" on ebay for $17 shipped so bought a couple. They're in really good condition as the auction states, and arrived quickly via USPS so I'll throw a recommendation out there for the seller: ccdealsonline

Never having seen one before, I was surprised how thin they actually are. There is a minimal layer of polyester fill. It looks more like just two layers of camo ripstop...

I'm going to try a couple things with these, single top layer tonight, double top layer tomorrow (too rainy around here to go outside at the moment - and it's a work night so I'm shutting down the heat registers in my room for an experiment), then underquilt folded over, then some fleece between the UQ layers, and then finally the light packing foam.

I figure that the liners are a good idea to have around anyway. They give me a bunch of options to reconfigure too.
    I used one the other day to lay on the couch and watch some football, i had a low grade fever and had the chills.

I was suprised at how warm those things are. for being so thin

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    I used one the other day to lay on the couch and watch some football, i had a low grade fever and had the chills.

I was suprised at how warm those things are. for being so thin
    I used one last night for the first time and agree - it's surprising how comfortable I was. Not too warm or too cold.

• + New Posts