DIY Blue Nylon
    Tarp
    8x10 Blue Poly
    Insulation
    Static V Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&Carabiners

Looking for input/assistance on a set up

To start off, funds are limited because I am a college student. I was hoping I could get some advice on what to do in order to get my set up rated to maybe 20F or so. I am planning a few trips in the coming weeks where the lows are typically in the high 20s or low 30s.

I have my own hammock I made from Blue Rip Stop nylon that I use a sheet bend on with a webbing suspension system.

I know that I will need the following:
    Under Insulation
    Top Insulation
    Tarp

For under insulation I was thinking a CCF Pad with a space blanket glued on to reflect radiant heat. I also plan to utilize a small polyethylene tarp as a weather shield to help block wind coming underneath the hammock. An UQ really is not an option because I have neither the time to make one or money to get one.

As top insulation I plan on bringing a synthetic sleeping bag rated for 0F to use as a poor man's top-quilt. I figure something rated for 0F will help offset having no UQ.

I plan on finding a tarp that is about 12'x12' to use as general weather protection. I will probably use para cord and stakes to keep it in place.

I will use boiling water in a Nalgene if need be.

Comments/Thoughts?

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedLikeAViking View Post
    For under insulation I was thinking a CCF Pad with a space blanket glued on to reflect radiant heat. I also plan to utilize a small polyethylene tarp as a weather shield to help block wind coming underneath the hammock. An UQ really is not an option because I have neither the time to make one or money to get one.
    Why glues the space blanket? I can't see why you'd need to block wind if you already have a closed cell pad.

As top insulation I plan on bringing a synthetic sleeping bag rated for 0F to use as a poor man's top-quilt. I figure something rated for 0F will help offset having no UQ.
    What about using the bag as a UQ and use fleece blankets for the top? I used fleece blankets many times before I got a real TQ.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Sounds like a good setup to me, although I personally wouldn't glue the space blanket to the pad.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing & rings
    Images
    I am a recent grad myself, and am still tight on funds. For my current tarp, I picked up a 2mm plastic drop cloth from walmart and followed the concept of the tarp in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqaSYONkTFQ

It's cheap to make, and it kept me completely dry in a summer storm, but it does not pack down like actual tarps. But it works for me until I can start adding to my hammock funds

Hammock
    DIY Blue Nylon
    Tarp
    8x10 Blue Poly
    Insulation
    Static V Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&Carabiners
    I gave it a second thought and gluing the space blanket would be silly, thanks for correcting me.

I bid on an UQ on eBay, I did some searching and it is rated to 20F I believe. My current bid is for the minimum asking of $49.99 plus $10.00 shipping. So if I win I will have a decent quilt to keep me warm, but I do not anticipate that I will win and I plan on not bidding again. I think my current plan seems sufficient and won't be a terrible amount of weight either.

Here is the under quilt:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENO-Ember-Un...item25769cc42e

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy suspen.
    Hey Viking,
    Just a thought on my own experiments in cold weather hammocking. Without a doubt you will freeze at 20* with just a closed cell foam pad beneath you. Unless you are a superhuman warm sleeper of course. My first experiment was at 40* just a closed cell pad and a fleece blanket over it. I managed the night but boy i wouldn't want to try it any lower than that. But i did. Next night was 32*. Believe me its no fun breaking camp and heading back inside the house, (Yes i tried this in the backyard just in case). At 32* i was cold from head to toe. I wore two shirts, a fleece pullover and another coat on top. Bottoms i wore long johns, windbreaker pants...still frozen like a popsicle.

I've taken inflatables like the big agnes insulated air pad down to 20 and was actually sweating. Same with the Thermarest. Look for warmth rating when you buy pads. There is a huge difference. Don't even think about 20 inch pads. They need to be at least 25 inches or else your shoulders are going to pay for it.

Also Pads and hammocks work but takes some fanagaling.
    Best bet for warmth to weight ratio is a good bag/tq and a bottom quilt.

Just my 2 cents worth from trial and error.
    Test your gear at home or close to before making the leap into the backwoods where you could find yourself in a whole heap of trouble if it doesn't work out.
    Walker

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I agree with Walker, Viking. I hope that you get the UQ but even it if you do take the CCF pad, too. Cold is downright dangerous in the back woods.

I'd hate for anything bad to happen to you.

This was an excellent thread that Cannibal started a few days ago: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=60425

The space blanket (or any vapor barrier, even a pad) can have a big down side if there is too much condensation. The secret is to balance dead air space with ventilation that keeps the material dry enough ... to provide the dead air space!

Mike

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could use a blue tarp from a home store for a first tarp. Little heavier and bulkier but your young and strong. It will fit a collage budget. Meant to tell you that on your YT message. In my haste I forgot. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UIFWI7TqpUQ
    I used to use an SPE to hold two pads in cold weather. Has shoulder and thigh flaps as well. Easy to make. ENO has the HOT SPOT which is basically the same thing.
    Shug

Last edited by Shug; 10-19-2012 at 08:51.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    If your diy skills are up to it, ck this out---- http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=48581 -------opens up all kinds of possibilities to insulation! Also, in my experiance, at 20 degrees youre not going to be happy with a ccf pad----if the cold doesnt bother you, the condensation will! (but thats just my opinion/experience)
    Last edited by stevebo; 10-19-2012 at 08:54.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight / eno single
    Tarp
    HH Hex / OMW
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 / JRB sniv
    Images
    I was thinking the same thing as Shug... pick up a blue tarp at walmart for about $10 - $15... I used one of these for many years on tenting trips as a wind break and easy to set up shelter as I waited out storms before paddling a lake.

• + New Posts