Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I fold like gmcttr in the top right pic. I also milk the line towards the fold to help hold it in place. Then I start guiding the taper down inside. It's like a well-hit golf shot. When you do it right things just feel and flow very nicely.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    ...Then I start guiding the taper down inside. It's like a well-hit golf shot. When you do it right things just feel and flow very nicely.
    Exactly...if you just push on the constrictor and pull on the wire, it's never going to enter. I work the entry mostly by scraping the last 1/4" of the constrictor (right at the entry) between my fingernails until the folded over section enters and then you just "bunch and milk" the constrictor to finish.

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    I've learned to express myself in a language not fit for the public and small children, especially with the smaller diameters ... most times now I'd rather just purchase what I need from the vendors here and save the wear on my hands and patience!

... the wire loop is the best way I've found though if I need to do something for myself.
    Ha! Sounds like me! I have figured out what I need to do to splice these hi-tech lines, but have yet to successfully finish an adjustable loop.

so...privacy, patience, and maybe some gloves...I may just manage to make the whoopies I've been working on for several days

22Ga stainless steel wire works for me on 1.75 zing-it. I find that it helps to twist the tool, rather than pulling it straight, when drawing line through the bury. Twist in the direction of the twists that you put in your splicing tool, like loosening a screw. The buried section will un-twist itself once you finish the splice and remove the tool.

I went a little splice happy the last few days and put some 1.5" diameter continuous loops through the eyes of 6 tarp stakes, backspliced the ends of all of my tarp guylines, and replaced a bowline with a locked brummel in the end of my bear bag line.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    1.75 Zing It and nichrome wire taken out of an old blow dryer (or something similar). I like the nichrome because it's fairly stiff for a small diameter wire. Here's a pictorial of pulling a bury. I did not take the time to use a locked brummel for this illustration and no fingers were blistered.
    Nicely illustrated!
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Exactly...if you just push on the constrictor and pull on the wire, it's never going to enter. I work the entry mostly by scraping the last 1/4" of the constrictor (right at the entry) between my fingernails until the folded over section enters and then you just "bunch and milk" the constrictor to finish.
    Ahhaa that may have been my issue. I've done 4 or 5 sets of whoopies and a bunch of continuous loops but I've always been immensely frustrated when doing it. It also looks like I should be tapering farther and folding more over prior to starting. I also wasn't putting twists into my wire either...
    Last edited by gordonfreeman; 10-19-2012 at 13:23.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonfreeman View Post
    Ahhaa that may have been my issue....
    The twists seem to help a little with the small wire used for zing it. Heavier wire used on amsteel may not need it.

In case you missed it, here's a video of how it looks with amsteel and a loop turner. Using a doubled over wire would be exactly the same...

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    gordonfreeman-- i am right with you... i need my taper tail to be longer and twist the wire.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The twists seem to help a little with the small wire used for zing it. Heavier wire used on amsteel may not need it.

In case you missed it, here's a video of how it looks with amsteel and a loop turner. Using a doubled over wire would be exactly the same...

my tapered tails were definitely too short!!!! that's gotta be it. thank you for posting this.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I just use an overhand knot. If I need something fancy I order it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast