Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders

a versatile tarp

I am brainstorming about an idea I have.... I was looking around on white blaze and found a thread that talked about tarp tents that are very much like a real tent- walls, floor, mosquito netting. All Therese weigh in very low for all they do. And they cost around the same as a hammock tarp. However they are a tent. And I need a hammock tarp.... but what if I can't sleep in a hammock? Like if there are no good trees around or if I m having a rare girly day and want the privacy only a tent can offer. So that got me thinking what if I could make a tarp that could be my perfectly enclosed tent, but also my hammock tarp? It doesn't need a floor it just needs to be good and enclosed when on the ground. Has anyone tried this?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    Any rectangle tarp will do, and really, so will any larger 4 season tarp like the superfly. There is no rule that says you can't use a hammock tarp for those times when you have to go to ground. I think a lot of people seem to forget that a tarp is a tarp regardless if it is over a hammock or not.

Also, the best part of a tarp like the superfly is that you can still sleep in a hammock and get all the privacy you want.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I don't know if anyone has tried it, but you are all but certain to have condensation issues if you close up sil. Perhaps a combination of sil where you absolutely have to be dry, and dwr ripstop in the less critical areas.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    ENO DN ATC
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Does cuban breath better than sil? Would that work if completely closed up? Doesn't Shug have velcro on one of his winter cuban tarps to close it up?

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Here's one I made just for that .. I tarp tented before hammocking so I wanted to retain that ability .. it's really just a matter of adding a few tie-outs in the correct spots ,,

"The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DL 1.4 ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    You can either set up with the tarp on the ground and have clips on the underside to lift up the bug net of your hammock and use it as a bivy.

Or you can take the tarp and add (a foot?) bug net around the perimeter. If you go this route and you know what pitch you prefer then you could also add a zipper to one edge so you can make a door that closes easily (fold the edge on itself and then zip from the corners to the center). My friend went this route and it works well for him as well.

The downside to the first is that you have to be in the "hammock bivy" for bug protection.

Personally, I've gone the former and it sets up decently in my back yard. Here's what I use:
    - DL hammock (only DL so that i can insert my 1/8" pad)
    - Bug Net (Fronkey style, but with cinched bottom instead of shock chord)
    - 10x12 tarp (sized for 2 people on the ground...haven't used it for 2 hammocks)
    - 1/8" pad (20x72 i think)

So...I attach the bug net to the underside of my tarp (had to modify the tarp for this) using a few rocks and light cordage.
    Bug net goes on top of my hammock and 1/8" pad that are set on top of some pine needles or leaves for comfort since the pad isn't very supportive.

That's pretty much it. Eventually, I want to modify the bug net with some tie-outs so that all I have to do is carry some pre-made clips that would weight next to nothing and set up in a few minutes.
    Last edited by jordo_99; 10-19-2012 at 10:09.

I was concerned about not having places to hang during my bike ride across Missouri. Therefore, my nephew and I used tarps that could convert to a tarptent for two.

I used polyurethane coated nylon for the tarps--a heavy material, but pretty tough. I did a hex-shape for my tarp, and DIY Gear Supply's Winter Dream design for my nephew's. The idea was that if we couldn't find trees, we could string his tarp between the bikes, and use mine for a ground cloth.

It would be nice to have a more integrated solution for a single camper.

Hammock
    hammaka, diy tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    web
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Here's one I made just for that .. I tarp tented before hammocking so I wanted to retain that ability .. it's really just a matter of adding a few tie-outs in the correct spots ,,

beautiful dog
    you cant please everyone, so ya got to please yourself. - ricky nelson

HYOH

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    go to warbonnet outdoors look at the spinaker it completly encloses the hammock then use your tarp for a roof i havent set one up as i just got it yesterday ,but this was my attempt to gain what your looking for.with the spin and my cuban tarp i get good coverage and it only weighs as much as some tarps at 16.5 oz.good luck

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    go to warbonnet outdoors look at the spinaker it completly encloses the hammock then use your tarp for a roof i havent set one up as i just got it yesterday ,but this was my attempt to gain what your looking for.with the spin and my cuban tarp i get good coverage and it only weighs as much as some tarps at 16.5 oz.good luck
    Could you post a link to this? I can't find it on their site.

• + New Posts