Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guys with kids (Gals, too!) I think I may have a solution for you. I set up my 12 x 14 ft. tarp on my last BWCAW trip this fall and when it turned cool and rainy I just closed the ends like doors and thought about what a tidy "tent" I had. We had some strong winds that night and I thought I heard some yelling and thought about how IF my neighbors had tent issues that I could've accomodated about 4 of them under my hammock!

So set your tarp, then your hang and welcome in the little buggers...there's plenty of room on the ground! (Just leave yourself a clear path for that inevitable mid-night stroll!)
    Enjoy!

Images
    A hammock (parachute or webbing) was always brought along for lounging and naps while on camping/canoe trips. My girlfriend (now wife) started coming out with me and discovered that I snore like a freight train on jet fuel when sleeping on the ground. She couldn't get any sleep, so she kicked me out of the tent. I went over to the hammock and had a really good sleep. I started sleeping in the hammock all the time and then did research on-line looking for a bug net (mosquitoes are not my friends). I came across HF and the information available was incredible. I lurked for years and only after meeting Fourdog and MacEntyre last year did I decide to participate on the forum. This allowed me to get to know other hangers. Hammock Forums and its members rock!

Hammock
    GTSBPRO
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MarlinSpk
    I got into DIY alcohol stoves a few years ago, so I've been lurking on other forums like bplite and BCUSA. The idea of hammock camping is really compelling, as gravity seems to be increasing in strength as I get older, making ground camping a pain.

Also, though Hamilton is obviously a very urban area, there are plenty of sections of the Escarpment that are steep and rocky enough that you could hang there and be alone (wouldn't do it in Hamilton proper, but in Dundas, Stoney Creek, Burlington, etc.). It intrigues me that a hammock and two trees could turn an inhospitable rock pile into a perfectly usable campsite.

I still have a lot of reading to do before I pull the trigger on a hammock. I've been putting it off because there's so much information to sift through. The more I shop, though, the more it seems that MEC is the go-to place in Canada. Some of the US sites/manufacturers don't seem to ship to Canada.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    A friend of mine brought a Hennessy along on a kayak trip about three years ago. After it was set up, he let all of us check it out. I spent about five minutes in it and knew I needed one. Later that summer, I was off to Winnipeg to visit my bro, he picked me up at the airport and we drove straight to MEC. Hello hammock! I slept so well when out camping I now sleep in one full time at home. My back issues are completely gone. Wish I'd known about hammocks before I spent such big money on a bed (that I've since given to my sister) and chiropractors!
    Debi

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [o]TTeR View Post
    You never mentioned the Clark, which one was it? The “Hammock hanging” learning curve never seems to end, we’ve come a long way in 3 years but I never feel “settled” on a setup? I attached my FILO shots (First night in a hammock: Nov 2009 – Last time out: Oct 2011) just for kicks
    It was their one and only model at the time. It was just called the Clark Jungle Hammock. The suspension was cheap twisted yellow poly rope that was probably 3/4" thick. With the attached rainfly and suspension I think it was over five pounds.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight / eno single
    Tarp
    HH Hex / OMW
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 / JRB sniv
    Images
    For myself it was after many years of sleeping on the ground... close to 40 to exact, in the snow, on roots, rocks, slopes and at times found a spot as I paddled along the shore in the dark looking for an opening just to sleep on a rock or tucked under some overgrown brush.. Been investigating the hammock thing for a while and after my last trip to Algonquin I decided I was done sleeping on the ground as I struggled to find a decent spot the last evening of the trip but was stormed down and had no choice but to set camp..woke up sore and said to my paddling buddy that I was purchsing a hammock when we got back and that he could carry the tent from now on if he decided against getting a hammock himself... So now here I am, with hammock, waiting for my underquilt from Jacks... and by the way, talking with jack I was very impresssed with the customer service as well how fast the hammock was enroute to my home... So next weekend I am hoping to have my quilt and then heading out for a night and attempt to sway him from tenting to hanging...

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shingaling View Post
    ..... Some of the US sites/manufacturers don't seem to ship to Canada.
    Just to set the record straight, vendors do ship to Canada. It not always easy with the extra paperwork and delays at customs (sometimes a month), but we do ship to our northern friends.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Some of the US sites/manufacturers don't seem to ship to Canada.
    As gargoyle said, the vendors do ship up here and the ones I have dealt with are very accomodating if you contact them. Most if not all hangers up here either order online from HF vendors or they DIY. The important thing to do is to get it shipped USPS. Avoid UPS or FedEx since they charge brokerage fees. Usually I don't pay any duties and if I do pay something its just HST, no different than buying at a store. If you are wanting the best hammock gear and can't DIY, then ordering fron a vendor is your best option. IMO, its worth it. Getting out to a hang to check out what's available is good to do before you buy.

Sorry to get off topic.
    Last edited by Bubba; 10-20-2012 at 12:27.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    GTSBPRO
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MarlinSpk
    Thanks for the info about venders. Glad to hear I have options! Too bad I have more options than money

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight / eno single
    Tarp
    HH Hex / OMW
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 / JRB sniv
    Images
    Some of the US sites/manufacturers don't seem to ship to Canada.[/QUOTE]

I have found that ordering from State side has not been an issue... I am still awaiting my quilt, titanium stove and pot but all has been shipped without issue as well have talked direct with the vendors.

Mec does have the HH cheaper than if you ordered from HH direct online, I ordered direct online as I changed the tarp out to Hex.. If I had of investigated a little better I probably would have ordered everything state side from the various vendors who specialize in hammocks, tarps, quilts etc.. I guess I will just have to continue to explore options as become an experienced hanger and continue to upgrade gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast