HH Explorer Ultralight / eno single
    Tarp
    HH Hex / OMW
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 / JRB sniv
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    gmcttr you did good

I Hear Banjos Ok...so will the Nikax Tent & Gear SolarProof and waterproofing stuff work on polyurethane material? I'm intrigued with this option. If I go this route, I'm guessing I should use the spray while my pole mod is spreading the tarp out, correct?

BrianWillan that will certainly be next on my DIY list as funds dictate, but for now I want to get these things working as they should be, if there is any way that I can. Big ole "IF" on that one.
    The PU coating is usually only on the inside of the material... you can spray the outside of the material... I have found that the Nikwax works well to bead water and since it is waterborne it works best when you soak the material so it can absorb into the material..

good luck hope it works out for you...

Hammock
    Bliss, Eagles Nest, DIY made.$$
    Tarp
    DIY made
    Insulation
    DIY System
    Suspension
    DIY straps
    Images
    I made my tarp with ripstop nylon and seam sealer it twice and then scotch gaurd it twice. I know it sounds like a over kill but I want to be safe then sorry and to say I gave my best. Plus not only that.Rip stop has strigth and in the winter it will more then likely hold up. It is 4 yards and two 60 inch pieces with 10 tab on it.
    M.Whitmore

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I'm so glad I gave up on them and sent mine back. Nice example of false economy.

Now that I got that out of my system...considering how minimal the "PU coating" is on these, I would try the silicone/mineral spirits solution on a small test area. If it soaks in vs. laying on the surface, it should do the job.

Edit...try applying it on the "outside" of the tarp since PU tarps normally orient the coating to the "inside".
    OK, so now I'm thinking I'll nix the nikax gear and tent solution and I'm revisiting the mineral spirits/silicone option. Since the one side is PU, and it wouldn't be a good idea to just throw the entire mass of material into a bucket with the solution....would I just sponge it on? Or paint it on? I'm assuming once it's mixed that it would be too thick to spray on? (yes, I'll mix a small batch to test an area first)

Also, what is the mixture ratio again between the silicone and mineral spirits?

Thanks gang, once this is answered, I'll know what I'll be doing this week, hopefully it won't be too cold I already have the silicone tube (had it for a different project) and just need to get the mineral spirits.

I just want to fix these, so that I have them for anything right now.....and then I'll work on making a sil nylon tarp as my next big project. What a PITA!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Must be one of this years model everyone has been complaining about. I have one of the old ones that works fine and held up to the monsoon rain we had at Grayson last year.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    While I am sorry your tarp failed, it is nice to see that your opinion of the tarp's ability to keep you dry now more closely resembles my own impression. My first tests of this year's Guide Gear tarps were in heavy downpours and it failed miserably. I was really wondering if I was the problem and not the tarp.

My Guide Gear tarps are now relegated to cooking/group shelter duty.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Must be one of this years model everyone has been complaining about. I have one of the old ones that works fine and held up to the monsoon rain we had at Grayson last year.
    Yep, those be the ones. I was a big part in that discussion thread....but then they gave me a deal that I couldn't refuse in the upgrade to the bigger tarps, while keeping my smaller ones. Burned and bummed, but maybe not, live and learn.

If I can get these back to working order, it's regardless a lot of money saved and a little time well spent.

Perhaps there is a limit and 7 times was it in the rain....guess at a $1 per usage isn't bad?

.........obviously trying to convince myself of some kind of positives some where

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    I believe it's about 3:1 (spirits/silicone?) by weight.

I 'seam sealed' a self-made PU tarp with a scrap of extra fabric over the top of the tarp seam, and it worked to stick it down (rubber side to fabric side). So definitely paint it on, I fear bad things would happen if you just squished it into a bucket.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    OK, so now I'm thinking I'll nix the nikax gear and tent solution and I'm revisiting the mineral spirits/silicone option. Since the one side is PU, and it wouldn't be a good idea to just throw the entire mass of material into a bucket with the solution....would I just sponge it on? Or paint it on? I'm assuming once it's mixed that it would be too thick to spray on? (yes, I'll mix a small batch to test an area first)

Also, what is the mixture ratio again between the silicone and mineral spirits?

Thanks gang, once this is answered, I'll know what I'll be doing this week, hopefully it won't be too cold I already have the silicone tube (had it for a different project) and just need to get the mineral spirits.

I just want to fix these, so that I have them for anything right now.....and then I'll work on making a sil nylon tarp as my next big project. What a PITA!
    This is a good tutorial on how to re-coat your shelter.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Finally had no chance of rain today and I got a layer of sil mixture (4/1) on the outside. I'm leaving it up all night and may need another layer tomorrow. One side definitely did better than the other, and I have some runs that I didn't realize I had until the sun went behind a cloud. I tried to rub them out, but it was too late. I guess in the scheme of things, how it looks doesn't matter, just so long as it keeps us dry. Will do a water squeeze test tomorrow. I also cut 1" off of my pole as I really do think I was stretchy the holy heck out it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Sportsmansguide know that the tarps that they sold last year were junk so you may be able to return them still.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast