Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    The overlapping of the two tarps is a great comparison. I really like seeing them side by side like that. And having a black sil tarp I hear ya on the sleeping in and keeping the sun out, but I still use that one for car camping trips. But when I'm hiking you just cant beat the weight of cuben. I'm also an early riser when I go hiking so I don't mind the sun peaking through to wake me up. Enjoy the new tarp and cuben skins to come. Thanks again for another great vid Hawk Eye
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    great vid, Hawkeye. My HG 4S Cuben Fiber Tarp just survived a hailstorm & 40-50 mph winds with flying colors.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    also,
    I loved the mesh skins Syb made for me for my tarp....allows any water to wick off if I had to pack it up wet.
    Love my DIY Skins for the same reason ... but looking to see how these ultra light weight skins work out ... sub 1 oz for the pair of Cuben skins and 3.3 oz for the mesh skins I use on my Superfly. I'll post the actual weight on the video for the Cuben Skins when they arrive tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    The overlapping of the two tarps is a great comparison. I really like seeing them side by side like that. And having a black sil tarp I hear ya on the sleeping in and keeping the sun out, but I still use that one for car camping trips. But when I'm hiking you just cant beat the weight of cuben. I'm also an early riser when I go hiking so I don't mind the sun peaking through to wake me up. Enjoy the new tarp and cuben skins to come. Thanks again for another great vid Hawk Eye
    LRR
    Well thanks ... always glad when some one appreciates my weird sense of humor ... when they don't I just blame it on the Mad Cow Disease

I love my Superfly so I was very happy to see size wise ... it's pretty much the same coverage. Actually when I'm sleepy ... light isn't a problem with me. I quite enjoy watching the sky ... trees and critters through the tarp. I'm pretty sure if I had to picture it in a sunny location the lack of shade might be an issue. We'll have to see I guess. But that weight has to be felt to be appreciated! Seriously it was like Jenny had shipped me an empty box!

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    great vid, Hawkeye. My HG 4S Cuben Fiber Tarp just survived a hailstorm & 40-50 mph winds with flying colors.
    Well many thanks SS ... I appreciate that. Really great to hear that ... dang 50 mph AND hail? Geesh ... a tarp's worse nightmare! As fragile as it initially feels ... it is surprisingly tough. Thanks for the confirmation.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Hawk-eye, now I'll probably have to pull the switch!

Shug, any long term durability to report? What's the "mil" thickness of it?

Does it come in a clear green cast or a gray cast? I've heard that different thicknesses and casts are from the manufacturer. It seemed like WaterMonkey's was greenish...

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Hawk-E, primo video as always from you.
    There will come a time (unless the economy collapses) when/where you plug in a 9volt battery and the opaque becomes translucent or vice versa.....wait and see
    Your tarp and variants of it I call the Winter Palace (as do others, and I think WaterMonkey begat the term). This tarp is the current ultimate tarp of the ages TOP (tarp of the ages, reminiscient of a light house I visited near Isle Royale). Like you and others I've enjoyed many tarps over the years , A&J aka Thorwren and Stormcrow, dominate the tarp world with this model.
    Thanks for the trip down cigar/communist/Castro lane!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Thanks Hawk-eye, now I'll probably have to pull the switch!

Shug, any long term durability to report? What's the "mil" thickness of it?

Does it come in a clear green cast or a gray cast? I've heard that different thicknesses and casts are from the manufacturer. It seemed like WaterMonkey's was greenish...
    Not sure on the color other than mine was a green color as was the bag that it was packed in. Couldn't tell you the mils of the material ... sorry.

Thanks for watching!

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Hawk-E, primo video as always from you.
    There will come a time (unless the economy collapses) when/where you plug in a 9volt battery and the opaque becomes translucent or vice versa.....wait and see
    Your tarp and variants of it I call the Winter Palace (as do others, and I think WaterMonkey begat the term). This tarp is the current ultimate tarp of the ages TOP (tarp of the ages, reminiscient of a light house I visited near Isle Royale). Like you and others I've enjoyed many tarps over the years , A&J aka Thorwren and Stormcrow, dominate the tarp world with this model.
    Thanks for the trip down cigar/communist/Castro lane!
    They do make a mighty fine tarp and quilts. Actually they have a larger size model that is actually called the Winter Palace ... this is just the basic four season model with the 12 foot ridge line. Hey I appreciate your watching and glad you enjoyed the touch of goofiness!

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Felicitaciones con el 'Cuban' Ojo de Halcon!

Fun intro on a great vid as always.

Grtz Juan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    cool video,i have the regular ridge line in my 4sccc.it has a greenish tint but is transparent.i stuff mine and it has a wrinkle look to it when you first put it up,but straightens out in a short time.this tarp is perfect fit for my bb.ive just recently purchased a ridge runner and have been using it with the tarp ,you have to use the doors as roof extention and not doors.it kind of looks like a floating turtle shell(low, flat).i think i will still use it like that and add the spinaker to block the side wind .the combination of the two seems that it will be better than a big tarp,and i wont have to have two tarps.the sights at night through the cuban is wonderful,you can see shooting stars the moon ,and the trees swaying in the wind.i was experamenting yesterday and with the tarp low and wide i actually felt some warmth from the sun coming through to me like a green house ,while higher pitch results in no heat but better breezes.the change in the tarp weight helps me get the spinaker weight into my kit with very little weight penalty.im very pleased with the tarp so far ,i expected to have to baby it but this is one tough piece of material. i too was out in the 50 mph with hail storm the cuban held up good.ps the noise level has seemed to deminish a little with the stuffing routine crush ,wrikle ,stretch.i dont know if it has a different sound ,not so crisp,or if im just getting used to it.happy hanging all.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Great video!, but my wallet is going to hate you in the future....

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by born2roam View Post
    Felicitaciones con el 'Cuban' Ojo de Halcon!

Fun intro on a great vid as always.

Grtz Juan
    Ha! I actually had that on my business card when I was working in South American! Good conversation point!

Thanks pal ... glad you enjoyed it. I appreciate your watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    cool video,i have the regular ridge line in my 4sccc.it has a greenish tint but is transparent.i stuff mine and it has a wrinkle look to it when you first put it up,but straightens out in a short time.this tarp is perfect fit for my bb.ive just recently purchased a ridge runner and have been using it with the tarp ,you have to use the doors as roof extention and not doors.it kind of looks like a floating turtle shell(low, flat).i think i will still use it like that and add the spinaker to block the side wind .the combination of the two seems that it will be better than a big tarp,and i wont have to have two tarps.the sights at night through the cuban is wonderful,you can see shooting stars the moon ,and the trees swaying in the wind.i was experamenting yesterday and with the tarp low and wide i actually felt some warmth from the sun coming through to me like a green house ,while higher pitch results in no heat but better breezes.the change in the tarp weight helps me get the spinaker weight into my kit with very little weight penalty.im very pleased with the tarp so far ,i expected to have to baby it but this is one tough piece of material. i too was out in the 50 mph with hail storm the cuban held up good.ps the noise level has seemed to deminish a little with the stuffing routine crush ,wrikle ,stretch.i dont know if it has a different sound ,not so crisp,or if im just getting used to it.happy hanging all.
    Thanks ... and glad to hear more confirmations of it's durability!

Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    Great video!, but my wallet is going to hate you in the future....
    Ha! I hear that ... but man the weight "premium" over the Superfly or any sil tarp of this size just makes me giddy!
    Thanks for the kind words!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast