Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Hi Martin,

Welcome to the forum. I recognize you from the WinterTrekking forum. If you're not intending to buy until later, say the spring, I suggest attending an Ontario hang to check out some of the setups. There is usually a hang at Valens, so keep an eye out for that.

There is a lot of variety and people also modify their setups beyond the original configurations. With many different manufacturers, one gathered end hammock may not feel the same as another gathered end, and the same for bridge hammocks. Bridge hammock makers have different ideas about spreader bar placement among other things, so each will be different. Mining this forum for information and asking questions when your search doesn't come up with an answer will make purchasing the right hammock easier. The members here are great and very helpful.

Mongrel

Hammock
    HH HLB & AR
    Tarp
    Hammockgear cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG down quilt
    Images
    Currently using a Hennessy Adventure Racer as my primary and prior to that a Hyperlite, so my experience is with A-sym hammocks only: As someone who is primarily a side-sleeper, I initially found it tricky to get comfortable, but after experimenting/tweaking the setup i.e. how tight it was hung, making sure the foot end was slightly higher than the head and perhaps most importantly (for me anyway) was using one of my clothing stuffsacks or an outer layer to support my legs/knees. Also, as a side-sleeper, switching to a hammock has vastly improved the quality of sleep as I am no longer being awakened throughout the night d/t hip and shoulder pain.

Although you didn't specifically mention it, I just want to add that if your wife is a cold sleeper, be sure to include good bottom insulation. I've found that even when I am having a hard time finding the most comfortable position, being nice and warm makes it better.

Mentioned only because size and weight can be a factor when hanging, I'm female, <130lbs.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    at home i am a side or stomach sleeper and can't sleep on my back but in my wbbb i have no problems sleeping on my back and am also able to get into a comfortable side position and sleep great

Ditto

My wife also has a Blackbird and loves it. When ever she says we have too many hammocks I tell her I will sell her BB and she tells me ( in not so polite language) that I had better not sell her hammock.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO HouseFly
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Welcome to the forums - lots of great info here as demonstrated by the previous posts. I had the same reservations your wife did about sleeping comfort because I am a side sleeper, too. I'm a Scoutmaster for a troop in Lilburn, GA and our troop goes on outings monthly. My son received a hammock as a present for attaining his Eagle award, and he couldn't stop talking about how comfortable it was. So, I finally broke down and bought an ENO DN, bug net and tarp. and slept in the thing for the first time two years ago. I slept better than I have ever slept in my bed or in my tent. I never take my tent on camping trips anymore. All it took was one night of sleep in my hammock to convert me! Once you learn how to lay in the hammock (lay on a diagonal and you can sleep in any position you want), you will not want to sleep in anything else when you venture into the woods! All it takes it making that first step. When you do, you won't look back.
    "A man's got to know his limitations," Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I'm a side sleeper, and in a bed I can't sleep on my back. I've discovered in hammocks I can sleep on my back or my side, or any number of other positions you can't do in a bed.
    My wife still sleeps on the ground, and that is fine. I don't say much about it, if she wants to be uncomfortable, more power to her.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition A-Sym
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad &amp; sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Wow...I expected several responses, but not this many in so little time. Thank you all to those who took the time and trouble to post those thoughtful suggestions and relate their own experiences. I hope my any others who want to weigh in will do so as well. It's been really informative and helpful.

I will be working my way through the various sites and videos that people have recommended. I should perhaps mention that I've seen all of Shug's hilarious and informative videos (I make my own camping instructional vids), and Shug's how-to series and Bwillan's video showing his hot-tent hammock setup are what motivated me to join your forum. I'm very glad I did. That's quite an enthusiastic and helpful welcome. You ladies and gents are real hangin' evangelists.

Right now I'm primed to give it a try, but before shelling out the money, I will do what Shug, Rat, and some others suggested and see about a fashioning a simple DIY setup. I already have a cheap nylon gathered-end backyard hammock (the kind you laze about in) and an 8' x 10' sil nylon tarp to hang over it. I just need to figure out what I need to do to it to make it into a serviceable camping hammock that I can sleep in diagonally. Bugs aren't an issue at this time of year, so no need for a bug mesh. Guess I'll need some webbing and climbing rings or some such. But I'll check the DIY sub-forum before salting you all with questions. However, if anyone knows of a good how-to on turning a backyard hammock into a proper camping hammock, I'm open to it.

Lastly, I want to say how reassuring it is to hear from so many back pain sufferers on this matter.

Gratefully,
    -Martin
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I'm a woman stomach sleeper. Never thought I could sleep on my back, never! So comfy in hammock, back doesn't matter! Many sleep on side in hammock.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Images
    Also, you can pick up a Grand Trank Ultralight hammock for about $20 or less, I've got 2 and love them. Grand Trunk UL
    Like the others have said, if she can't get comfortable in a gathered-end, a bridge style might help, I can sleep in anyu position in mine includung fetal.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/
    http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/ridgerunner.php
    One more thing, if you both sleep in seperate hammocks, you can sleep close to each other under one tarp. Any decent sized tarp will do, but for fun, here's a custom made one from a member here named Smokehouse. Pretty sure he'd make you one, I have one of his self named Smokehouse tarps.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1041111...oneymoonSuite#
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...oneymoon+suite

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=dblhammock

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I have lower back issues and have chucked the bed in favour of the hammock. My back does not hurt at all anymore, except when I sleep at my boyfriend's in his bed. Then I wake up stiff and sore, and will usually come home and have a snooze in my hammock to straighten myself back out.
    When my boyfriend and I go camping, we put both our hammocks under one tarp. I like knowing he's close by because I can sometimes get a little paranoid about bears (even though I've never had an problem with one). The tarp we use is a 12x12 Kelty and we both have Hennessy Explorer zips.
    Debi

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    suspension: polyester webbing is the simplest way to get going, with the speer four wrap knot- tree hugger and suspension all in one. Don't get stretchy climbing webbing. Everything else is a way to make the set up ridiculously easy. 20 feet- 10 feet either end, should be enough to get you going.

Still one of the best websites for simple hammocking is imrisk.com - check out the test hammock, and also his double hammocking: http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultradoublehammock.htm

You can snuggle in a hammock, but then one can go to their own hammock to sleep.

Just Jeff's site is a great explanation of how hammocking works (answering many questions) it's been mentioned up thread, but here's the url:
    tothewoods.net

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast