Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images

Lessons Learned This Weekend

We (Scout Troop) went camp this past weekend near Lewisville, TX. The weather was clear, but the winds were 40-50 mph. Our campsite was an open field on the leeward side of an earthen dam. We weren't exposed to the full force of the wind, but it was still pretty stiff and swirling. We lost three tents due to pole damage and blown away rain flys.

I had built a hammock stand ( See my thread entitled "My Weekend Project") knowing that we would be in an open field. The things I learned:

1. Figure 9s don't work real well in gusting, swirling winds. They kept coming undone until I put a slippery hitch on them like my hammock straps.

2. Nail type stakes didn't work real well either. They kept spinning in the ground until the guy line would pop off. I finally gave up on my tarp about 2 AM and stuffed it in my pack.

3. I had my hammock ridgeline rigged for a summer hang (shorter) to allow for more sag and a better diagonal lie. Using my DAM required less sag (i.e. longer ridgeline) to keep me from the classic banana position. I adjusted this during the day and got about a 2 hour test period in before my bladder called timeout.

4. Temperatures dropped into the upper 20s after the wind died down Saturday night. While I wasn't cold, I could feel a slight chill through the DAM. I will need to add an underquilt or maybe a reflective blanket under the DAM.

5. I really like the flexability of having a JRB Nest as a top quilt. As it started to cool off Saturday evening, I added it under my jacket and remained toasty warm. This saved me from taking a real heavy coat. When I went to bed, it was already warmed from my body heat. Nice!!

6. I need to get a different touque. My grandmother (GRHS) made some really nice hats, but they aren't tight enough to stay on my head. It would blow or rub off and leave me without. I finally used my headlamp as a cinching strap to keep it in place.

I may edit this to add more if I think of it!
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Lesson I learned this weekend

There is more, but my one lesson was that Surgical tubing (tarp tensioners) will stretch and stay stretched in below freezing temps.

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Lessons learned this weekend

if you're on a rocky hill with not enough dirt to stake the tarp down well, find some rocks to pile on top of the stakes. got woken up 4 times before I figured that one out

and also, if you use hiking poles, it helps if you actually get them out of the trunk.
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't have too much trouble with stakes since I started putting them in at a fairly sharp angle. As long as the stake is not bent it is kind of tough for it to spin. YMMV
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    One lesson I learned is:

If you can find some shrubbery, small trees or even loose logs within range of your tie-outs, tie out to those instead of to the stakes. They'll offer a little bit of "bend, pull or flex but not break" in strong gusts of wind.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Txulrich,

Thanks for the good report...

Had not thought about the figure nines in the wind (guess that is because I don't use them). Recon any of the good ideas that are based solely on a wrap of some type could have this loosening issue.... Guess it still pays to learn a few knots.... I'll point this out to Smee when he returns... he uses them.

BTW, camped with a troop of Boy Scouts there should not have been a shortage of knot tying skill...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by txulrich View Post
    1. Figure 9s don't work real well in gusting, swirling winds. They kept coming undone until I put a slippery hitch on them like my hammock straps.
    What cording did you use with the 9's, and what size?

I'm a bit perplexed by that one, since I've successfully used them in very severe wind. I think how well they work is a function of the cording you use with them. Too large diameter, too small diameter, or extremely slippery cording might cause problems; but if the cording fits the 9's well and is snugged into them tightly they hold fine.

Friday night I was camped on a steep slope and an overnight rain storm blew in pretty high winds. High enough to pull one corner of my tarp hard enough to uproot one of my stakes including rolling off the rock I had put on top of it. In the ensuing moments until I could secure that corner, the tarp flapped quite harshly, but the 9's never budged. And that's been my experience with them on many occasions.

FWIW, on my tarp ridgeline I use 550 cord with the small 9's, always pulled very snugly.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 11-17-2008 at 16:22.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    What cording did you use with the 9's, and what size?

I'm a bit perplexed by that one, since I've successfully used them in very severe wind. I think how well they work is a function of the cording you use with them. Too large diameter, too small diameter, or extremely slippery cording might cause problems; but if the cording fits the 9's well and is snugged into them tightly they hold fine.

FWIW, on my tarp ridgeline I use 550 cord with the small 9's, always pulled very snugly.
    I use Kelty Trip-ease. Roughly the same size. I think that they work great as long as you keep constant tension on them. With the gusting/swirling conditions Friday evening, they would lose tension and come undone. The same conditions would work the lines off the stakes. Eventually, the tarp came down. To avoid damage to a real great piece of gear, I took it down completely.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Txulrich,

Thanks for the good report...

Had not thought about the figure nines in the wind (guess that is because I don't use them). Recon any of the good ideas that are based solely on a wrap of some type could have this loosening issue.... Guess it still pays to learn a few knots.... I'll point this out to Smee when he returns... he uses them.

BTW, camped with a troop of Boy Scouts there should not have been a shortage of knot tying skill...

Pan
    Pan,

Good to hear from you from time to time! Knot tying is knot in short supply!! I just like the idea of the 9s. They make setup and tear down a breeze and in cooler temps, I don't have to take my gloves off. I will be adding a slippery hitch to my setup.
    Peace,
    Joe

• + New Posts