Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy suspen.

Unhappy Incubator temp rating accurate?

Spent my first night using my new INcubator 20* full length and though it wasn't a failure i wouldn't say it was the success i expected. The set up was nice and snug(or maybe too snug?) It seemed to fit my HH Explorer well without using the side tie outs. I had one cold butt cheek for some bizzare reason...other than that i was warm enough to survive 39 degree weather with little wind. But would i take this out in 20* hell no.

Here is a lowdown of hte conditions i tested the underquilt in to see if other incubator owners have some tips.
    39* lowest maybe a few degrees lower
    No wind.
    20* down bag used as top quilt
    thermal underwear, windproof nylon pants.
    2 pairs of socks, one wool thick for trekking.
    wicking t shirt, tshirt over that and a flannel shirt over the two.
    Wool hat keep my shaved head warm.
    Mittens which i didn't use.
    No pad underneath as most owners posted they didn't need them.
    MY UQP from 2QZQ will be arriving today or tommorow.
    LOts of condensation on the underquilt. I live in NH
    the heels of my feet were cold and i never felt as if the underquilt was covering that part though i know it was because i checked numerous times during the night.

It is the most expensive piece of gear i own beside my sleeping bag and i was honestly expecting more toasty warm like all the incubator owners rave about. Is there something i did wrong?
    In all fairness to Adam and Jenny the quality of the quilt is very good, i certainly have no complaints about the workmanship. But for what it costs i was expecting a lot more performance from the quilt. In that regard i am a little disappointed; as i said i don't think i'd try to take this down to the 20* tempature rating.

Any suggestions from fellow Incubator owners would be appreciated.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    My guess, and it is just a guess, it that you didn't have it adjusted correctly and were venting your warmth all night. The easiest way it to lay in the hammock and have someone else adjust it. Given the temps you were in, I would have been really warm in my Incubator!

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Check tightness of each end
    Check tightness of shockcord on suspension

When you are in the hammock stick you hand between
    you Incubator and hammock. If there is a gap you need to
    tighten it up.

I have used my 20 deg in 15 deg weather...and it would be good for more.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Hammock
    DIY "Phoenix" DL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    While there are a lot of variables to be considered, I've been very happy with mine. I have the 0* and haven't gotten it that cold yet, I did have it to 22* with 40 knot winds and was snug as a bug.

My incubator covers me nicely from head to foot (I'm 6'), you may consider shifting it downward toward your feet, covering to the head is not really needed with a small pillow.

I also had to tighten the end channels quite a bit to get it to fit to my hammock, but you do not want to have any gaps there as it will have a wind tunnel effect.

I used some quilt clips from Dutch to secure it to my hammock so that it doesn't shift throughout the night (I have a tendency to turn). The clips hold it securely in place.

I would also suggest that you over dressed a bit for the weather (if you wore all those layers)and the result may have been some excess sweating and restriction of blood flow. I had slept only in a set of Under Armor long underwear and spent a fair amount of time pushing covers off.

I am a DIY nut and have made everything that I use except the UQ. I am very happy that I went with HG's models rather than designing my own. (I also have a phoenix as an initial purchase that will now work for my son).
    The person who says that it can't be done, doesn't
    The person who says that it can be done, does it!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have one on order, so I'm interested to hear responses as well.

As reference, I can state that I spent a couple of nights in the early summer in very similar conditions, but with a snugpak uq (haven't seen a rating for them, but they're pretty thin synthetic, so I would definitely not expect it to be rated as low as 20*F) and a 5*C sleeping bag. I was wearing a layer of Helly Hansen synthetic thermals and a balaclava, no socks or extra layers, and I was almost too warm.

While that was a different uq, it seems to me there must have been something wrong with the way you set it up, or there's a maunfacturing error. Perhaps you could ask someone to have a look at the set-up while you're in the hammock, to see if there's something immediately visible.
    Last edited by K0m4; 10-22-2012 at 08:13.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I was going to start a similar thread. I spent my first night in a hammock this weekend. I have a WBBB with a 20* incubator. I had a cold butt too. I didn't expect to get it right on the first try. The problem is I couldn't find anything wrong. no gaps, It looked like it was fitting well. my low temp was 33*

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    I can't speak to the incubator but I have the old model "Crow's Nest" and even being a 3/4 length ... using a HG 20 degree Burrow ... I've slept really nice and toasty to the mid twenties.
    The only thoughts I have that others have already stated would be it being snug to your hammock. I find myself needing to vent more than anything so I know how a little gap can shed heat rather quickly ... surprisingly quick too!

Wind can rob even the best quilts of heat so don't know if that's a factor in your particular situation.

The other point is everyone's personal "temperature rating" is different. If you're married ... you'll have first hand experience with this point! I've woken up freezing before because my darling wife has removed my part of the covers for her own use!

The one cold butt cheek you mentioned makes me think you were either pulling it too tightly against the hammock or were bleeding off heat in a spot from a gap.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a suspension primer....may help: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52668
    You must just be getting a gap. Was is upside-down perhaps? Shake and migrate the down. Coulda been those windproof nylon pants getting you clammy. Seemed to be sleeping in a lot of clothing for those temps and that much insulation.
    It ain't always easy dailing in.
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 10-22-2012 at 08:26.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Adjusted correctly you should find the rating conservative. My revelation with the Incubator was a successful adjustment pulling into a trapezoid on the corners opposite my head and feet. Seemed counter intuative but it worked well.

David

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm thinking there has to have been operator error somewhere because I've had success with mine in WAY worse conditions during my AT hike this Spring and I only had a 30 degree bag. Heck....I've had my IX UQ down to 40. I will also admit to being cold on a few occasions but after checking things out carefully it was always a result of an improper hang.

Just a thought....did you shake it out prior to installing it? They say it helps redistribute the down which may have shifted when stuffing it in the stuff sack. You hold it by the sides and shake like like a bed sheet.

Someone mentioned your clothes. I've made the mistake of wearing too many clothes which resulted in becoming chilled to due sweating.

My gut feeling is that it just wasn't snugged properly....either too loose (probably) or too tight. In any event you should EASILY be able to stay warm in the 39 -40 degree range.

You can easily reach outside the hammock while laying in it and check for snugness at the head end and reach under you to check for excessive airspace. I even reverse myself to check both ends.

Keep playing with paying attention to detail.

Miguel
    Last edited by Miguel; 10-22-2012 at 11:24.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast