Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images

Bushcraft Outing - almost a disaster!

Got a few hours to get out i the woods to play this weekend, slapped together a fast day kit, and headed for the local lake. In my haste, I did not eat Lunch. Bad idea, being Diabetic.

Hiked in to a nice spot to practice some skills, make a bow drill for fire, do some Tree ID, and other 'Crafty" stuff. In the meantime, my blood sugar was dropping quickly.

Made the bow drill, and was burning-in the hearth board socket, and I began to get pretty 'jiggy'. But I thought that I was just nervous to make a video, and plowed on. While making the video, I began to have word-finding problems, mis-identified some gear, and finally realized I was crashing fast.

Luckily, I had brought food (with sugar) with me, so I abandoned my Bushcraft tasks, and brought out the Emberlit and the Trangia to make some food and drink fast! Using the Trangia inside the Emberlit worked like a charm, as did a small section of gutter cover I cut as a grill top for the Emberlit - allowing me to use my military canteen cup on the stove.

LESSON LEARNED: If you have ANY type of medical condition that may affect you in the woods, be sure to prepare to deal with it, preferable before you leave for the wilds! This could have been very bad - I was crashing in a wooded area, by myself. Luckily, I recognized it when I could not identity a Firesteel (D'Oh!) and took immediate steps to correct it. Glad I had the forethought to bring real food with me, rather than having to forage. Always will from here on out!

Some pics: CLICK A PIC TO ENLARGE Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. It is amazing I was able to even take them!

IMG_0159.jpg The Bow Drill set

IMG_0164.jpg The Emberlit and new grate out of the bag made for it by Donna at 2QzQ. Works great!

IMG_0172.jpg Sgt Major Ursa waiting patiently for the water to boil for tea, so his human handler can get right again.

IMG_0174.jpg The Emberlit/Trangia Combo - Awesome!

IMG_0176.jpg Food is served! In the nick of time, too. I was getting REAL out there by then! Tea and a Blueberry bar from TJs, GORP, too.

IMG_0179.jpg Swiped the silicone lipguard off my Snow Peak 600 to use on the canteen cup. Also worked wonders! Wish I could buy some!

IMG_0181.jpg The lake at sunset - just gorgeous.

IMG_0184.jpg Managed to feel better, hump back out - Yup! That's my vehicle all right! Still pretty shaky, obviously!

IMG_0187.jpg Back home alive after making such a Rookie mistake!

Remember, if you have ANY situation that can possibly happen in the woods, assume it will, and prepare to deal with it in advance! STAY SAFE out there!

~ SkyPainter
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Glad everything worked out well for you. Hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your trip.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    4S cuben
    Insulation
    down
    Good advice - glad you saw what was going on.
    I also wish those silicon lipguards were available by themselves.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Skypainter, you made the best of a dangerous situation and I'm glad you made it out okay and that you were able to read the signs your body was giving you before you were too far gone.

Had something like happen to me years ago when I was getting hypothermia while walleye fishing one cold and windy night. Reading the signs in time, I got back to the car, warmed up and was fine. If I had kept on going...

P.S., nice pictures.

Take care of yourself.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Good advice. Really cool bow drill.
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

Images
    You can buy the lip guards, they come in a 2 pak. I lost mine and had to purchase replacements.

http://www.backcountryedge.com/snow_peak-hotlips.aspx

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Glad things worked out. I never go out for day hike with out extra food, cloths , emergency bivy etc. We are not running the show,,,sh*t happens,,,i don't dwell on it ,its just in the day pack if i need it.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    SkyPainter, glad that you realized what was happening and were able to do what was necessary. I, too, am diabetic, athough my glucose readings are always high which is a bit easier to deal with, I think. I, like you, enjoy heading out to the woods alone for hikes and overnight trips also. Good word of caution for all of us. Whatever our conditions, we need to practice adequate self-care at all times. Looks like it was a good trip even with the scare.

Wow, that is quite a story! Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Weird how we seem to know better but still make mistakes. Glad to hear all worked out for you man.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast